Subject: AW: Carrying Label

From: John Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 09:17:01 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Sakthivadivu,

Yes you are right. There is only one label always carried in BGP for the BGP/MPLS VPN
which maps to the BGP NEXT_HOP.

Cheers,
John

P.S.
And please try not to use HTML in public mailing lists !! :-)

----- Original Message ----- 
From: Sakthivadivu.S.S 
To: [email-masked] 
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 3:51 PM
Subject: Carrying Label

Hi,
   The Carrying Label Infomation in BGP4  (RFC 3107) says in section 3 under heading b)
Label

    "  The Label field carries one or more labels (that corresponds to
         the stack of labels [MPLS-ENCAPS]).  Each label is encoded as 3
         octets, where the high-order 20 bits contain the label value,
         and the low order bit contains "Bottom of Stack" (as defined in
         [MPLS-ENCAPS]). "

   Can you please tell me when will more than one label be distributed in BGP upadte
message.
 
   Only LDP distributes two labels in the ATM scenario.
 
   Since the label in the BGP update message is associated with BGP nexthop,i feel that
only one label will be carried in BGP 
   update message  always. 
 
    Please correct me if i am wrong.
 
Regards,
Sakthi

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL)
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain privileged or confidential information
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for
what it is intended.

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message.
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************

________________________________________________________________________
Want to chat instantly with your online friends?  Get the FREE Yahoo!
Messenger http://mail.messenger.yahoo.co.uk

---

From: "Sakthivadivu.S.S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 19:28:51 +0530

Hi,

   Section 4.3.1 of BGP/MPLS 2547.draft says that

  " If the PE and the CE are themselves BGP peers (see section 7), then
   the SP may allow the customer, within limits, to specify how its
   routes are to be distributed.  The SP and the customer would need to
   agree in advance on the set of RTs which are allowed to be attached
   to the customer's VPN routes.  The CE could then attach one or more
   of those RTs to each IP route which it distributes to the PE.  This
   gives the customer the freedom to specify in real time, within agreed
   upon limits, its route distribution policies.  If the CE is allowed
   to attach RTs to its routes, the PE MUST filter out all routes which
   contain RTs that the customer is not allowed to use.  If the CE is
   not allowed to attach RTs to its routes, but does so anyway, the PE
   MUST remove the RT before converting the customer's route to a VPN-
   IPv4 route. "

   Can you please temm me how can SP and customer agrree for some Route
Target's.?

   Is there any configuration of Route targets in PE and CE for this.?

Regards,
Sakthi