Subject: Re: Clarification on the L3 framework draft

From: Eric Rosen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:38:36 -0500

Vishal> On pp. 54, Sec. 4.4.4, the document states that using 
Vishal> BGP's route reflectors, PE-PE adjacencies can be completely
Vishal> eliminated, and furthermore that the no. of backbone adjacencies
Vishal> can be made a small constant _independent_ of the number of
Vishal> PEs involved.

I think the paragraph you're looking at is: 

   This approach greatly reduces the number of routing adjacencies which
   the PEs must maintain, since there is no longer any need to maintain
   more than one such adjacency between a given pair of PEs.  If the
   single routing protocol supports a hierarchical route distribution
   mechanism (such as BGP's "route reflectors"), the PE-PE adjacencies
   can be completely eliminated, and the number of backbone adjacencies
   can be made into a small constant which is independent of the number
   of PE devices.  This improves the scaling properties.

The  term "the  number of  backbone adjacencies"  is intended  to  mean "the
number of adjacencies which a given PE must maintain over the backbone".

---

From: "Vishal Sharma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 11:41:49 -0800

Eric,

Great, thanks very much. This answers my question!

-Vishal

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Eric Rosen [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 11:39 AM
> To: Vishal Sharma
> Cc: L3PPVPN
> Subject: Re: Clarification on the L3 framework draft 
> 
> 
>