Subject: Multicast in IP-VPN requirements

From: "S.Matsushima" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 05:17:11 +0900

Hi,

I've read the multicast-vpn requirement draft that was presented in l3vpn-wg
meeting yesterday.
First of all, I fully agree with the consideration of section 3.2.9 and 3.2.10
in the document.

So, I would like to be more concrete both section's consideration.
 From operator's point of view, SP want to get the scenario of unchange forwarding
plane of MDT. For instance, use of existing unicast LSP such as LDP-LSP and/or
BGP-LSP are applicable for the transport of VPN multicast distribution.

There are some reason of above:

  - There are requirements from customer, which hope quickly deployment of 
multicast
    service. But our MPLS backbone is unaware of IP multicast.

  - The reason of why unaware of IP multicast is that in the case of use 
PIM as MDT
    setup, we can't through multicast packets on our backbone, due to unlikely there
    are shared media among P and PE. This is some reason of our operational aspects.

  - On the other hand, in the case of P2MP-TE LSP solution as MDT, it has 
some issues
    and premature technology to deploy real service backbone.

These mean that the multicast IP-VPN solution is need to keep same 
forwarding plane
for MDT.

In addition, supporting some Inter-AS scenario and extranet, existing 
BGP-LSP technique
is really applicable.

Finally, I would like to say that the explanation and/or recommendation is 
needed to
putting the which technique is right way to right place.

Regards,

--
Satoru Matsushima, Japan Telecom