Subject: whether a document is waiting action from iesg, authors, etc.

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 09:28:05 -0500

As Eric pointed out today, it's never good for a document to be in an
unknown state where the AD thinks the author has an action and the
author things something in the ADs hands. 

Note that any of us can look at at a document's state in ID tracker. I
try to keep the current status listed there, with an explanation of
what _I_ think the state is. If anyone has questions or corrections,
feel free to followup with me and the chairs.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi

E.g., talking about draft-ietf-l3vpn-rfc2547bis-03.txt, it has a
normative depdendency on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-ext-communities-07.txt. So
even though 2547bis is in the RFC editor's queue, it can't be
published until the extended communities document is also in the RFC
editor's queue. If one looks up the status of that document, one sees
it is in state "Waiting for Writeup", which means the IETF Last Call
has been completed. Alex today said that document is waiting on the
base BGP spec. Looking at that one, we see it is in IESG review, and
furthermore, there are some outstanding issues that need to be
resolved (one can see those issues in ID Tracker). So it should be
pretty clear what needs to be done to move these documents forward...

Thomas