Subject: TTL Handling in draft-rosen / mVPN

From: "Leymann, Nicolai" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 13:39:47 +0100

Dear all,

according to draft-rosen-vpn-mcast-07.txt the following applies to the 
TTL values when a payload packet is encapsulated. 

  "The ingress PE should not copy the TTL field from the payload IP
   header received from a CE router to the delivery IP header.  The
   setting the TTL of the deliver IP header is determined by the local
   policy of the ingress PE router."

So it's up to the implementation of the ingress PE which TTL value 
is used. How is this handled in existing implementations? Is there
a commonly used TTL-Value (like 255) and/or is this value configurable?

  best regards

     Nic

--
Nicolai Leymann                          EMail: [email-masked]                    
T-Systems System Integration, Berlin     Tel/Fax: ++49-30-3497-3570/-3571
Abteilung ET52                           Mobil: ++49-170-2275345
Senior Experte IP-Technologien           Goslarer Ufer 35, 10589 Berlin, Germany

---

From: Yiqun Cai <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 18:41:33 -0800 (PST)

> is used. How is this handled in existing implementations? 

Yes.  That was the idea.

> Is there

Cisco IOS uses 255 by default.

-- 
Yiqun