Subject: Reminder: Multicast VPN Survey

From: "Daniel King" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 00:27:14 +0100

Hi Folks,

We have had a good response since we sent out the original email. I
wanted to just remind everyone, that there is still time to submit your
completed survey before we publish the results in September. 

Kind Regards,
Dan

-----Original Message-----
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 10:18:56 +0200
From: Thomas Morin <[email-masked]>
Subject: Multicast VPN Survey
To: L3VPN <[email-masked]>
Message-ID: <1122452337.19757.23.camel@wintermute>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Hello,

Here is the Multicast VPN survey that we prepared to complement
draft-ietf-l3vpn-ppvpn-mcast-reqts with relevant informations about
scalability expectations and priorities.

Please broadcast this survey to organizations and/or people that you
know may be interested in the deployments of such solutions.

Completed surveys sould be send, before September 15th,
to Daniel King <[email-masked]>, who will anonymise the answers.

Thank you very much,

-Thomas Morin
-------------- next part --------------
Multicast VPN Survey - July 2005

  1. Presentation

      1.1 Context and goal

         Current work in the l3vpn IETF Working group include the
definition 
         of requirements for Multicast in L3VPNs and the specifications
of 
         multicast VPN solutions. In this perspective, the authors of
the
         requirement draft [draft-ietf-l3vpn-ppvpn-mcast-reqts] are 
         initiating a survey to better detail requirements, and
especially
         scalability requirements.

         A summary of the results of this survey will be included in
         the requirements document which should serve as guidelines for
         solution design.

         The scope of this survey is multicast in L3VPNs: the mechanisms
         setup by a VPN provider to carry customer multicast traffic of
         customers.

      1.2 Answering this survey

         This survey will hopefuly be answered by ISPs planing to offer
         a multicast VPN service, and possibly by VPN customers having a
         need for such a service (not all questions of this survey will
         be relevant in that later case).

         If your are an ISP, the answers should relate not to what you'd
         expect today, but more to what you see as a longer term target 
         for such a service. For scalability figures, please answer what

         you think you would need to support in the longer term.

         If you expect many significantly different deployments, it is 
         possible to answer the survey multiple times.

         Please answer as much questions as possible, but feel free to
         ommit answers if the question aren't relevant for you.

      1.3 Sending the results

         Once completed, we'd appreciate that you send the document
         to Daniel King <[email-masked]>, who will anonymize the survey 
         results before forwarding them to the L3VPN WG multicast VPN
         requirement drafts authors.

         Please have completed surveys sent before September 15th, 2005.

         Thank you very much !

   2. Questions

     This survey is divided into three parts.

     The first one relates to quantitative questions that can be quickly
     answered by a simple figure (numbers of multicast PEs, of multicast
     VPNs,...), and the second one is made of qualitative questions
     regarding the expected use of the service (features, dynamicity,
     client application use case patterns...).

     In the last part you can express more in detail considerations you
     may have about multicast VPN deployments, including for instance
     specific use cases you think may highlight specific important
points.

      2.1 Quantitative questions

         Here, we are just expecting rough figures and orders of
magnitude,
         such as: 20k, tens of thousands, hundreds, ~7500, O(10^2), etc.

         2.1.1 Deployment and offer

            1. Number of VPNs for which multicast is made available

              * total:   .......

              * per PE:  .......

              If inter-AS and/or inter-provider context is relevant for
you:

              * per AS :       ......
              * per provider : ......

            2. CEs per VPN per PE, for which multicast is enabled:

            ..........

            3. number of PEs per VPN with multicast enabled (source or
            receiver):

            ..........

            4. number of PEs with multicast service enabled:

            ..........

         2.1.2 Parameters related to customer applications and usage
         patterns

            1. Number of PEs connected to multicast receivers:

            ..........

            2. Number of PEs connected to multicast sources:

            ..........

            3. Number of multicast (*,G) or (S,G) sourced ...

              * ...per VPN:  ..........

              * ...per PE:   ..........

              * ...per CE:   ..........

      2.2 Qualitative questions

         2.2.1 Expected VPN customer applications

            1. Type of multicast applications

               Mutlicast applications deployed over a multicast VPN can
               be differentiated depending on many criterias, such as,
               for instance: real-time or not, bandwidth,
receiver-source
               structure (one-to-many, many-to-many, many-to-few...),
               sensitivity to packet loss, number of streams...

               Please give examples of some possible applications, in
               the following form :
                 realtime or not / number of sources / number of
receivers /
                 bandwidth / packet-loss sensitive / streams per
application

               For instance: 
                  real-time / few and known / many in unknown locations 
                    / tens of Mbps / loss sensitive / hundreds of
streams

               a) ........

               b) ........

               c) .........

               ...

            2. Dynamics

              * Do you expect customer applications that are sensitive
to
               multicast join/latency (time to receive/leave a stream) ?

               ........

              * What kind of frequency do you expect for mcast routing 
               changes, at the PE level ?  (eg. "not more than XX leave
and
               joins per hour")

               ........

              * Predictability of sources and receivers locations: do
you
               expect to be able, for each said multicast VPN customer,
to
               have an a priori on the location of customer sources
and/or
               receivers ?

               ........

            3. Customer side protocols: among the following, please
            chose which you'd expect to support at the CE-PE level (y/n)
?

              * PIM-SM:
              * PIM-SSM:
              * Bidir PIM: 
              * IGMP(v2/v3):
              * MLDv2: 
              * PIM-DM:

            4. Would you plan to support multicast in a carrier's
carrier
            context ?

            ........

        2.2.1 Network Considerations

            1. Do you have PE for which reachability is less good than
            others (costly or scarce bandwidth) ?

            ........

            2. Do you think some VPNs of your customers may have same
            or close sets of PEs, and may thus possibly benefit from
            using the same PE-to-PE point to multipoint tunnels ?

            ........

            3. Do you plan to deploy multicast VPNs in a multi-AS
            context ?

            ........

            4. Do you plan to deploy multicast VPNs in a multi-provider
            context ?

            ........

        2.2.1 Relative Importance on different aspects

            Please rate the following items according to their relative
            importance - from 1 (Unimportant) to 5 (Important).

            * Seamless interoperability with the current unicast model:
...

            * Multicast VPN must not impose additional
             requirements on CE devices: ...

            * Re-use of existing multicast protocols for multcast
traffic
              transport over the provider core network: ...

            * Support of TE features such as bandwidth reservation and
              admission control: ...

            * Provide the same level of security for both the customer
and
             the SP as available with unicast VPNs: ...

            * Support for global Internet multicast
(emission/reception): ...

            * Support for Extranet (having a VRF in more than one 
              multicast VPN): ...

   3. Specific considerations you may want to express

   ...........

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
L3vpn mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l3vpn

End of L3vpn Digest, Vol 15, Issue 16
*************************************