Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-infra-addrs-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:00:01 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IPv4 and IPv6 Infrastructure Addresses in Multicast-VPN Routes
	Author(s)	: R. Aggarwal, E. Rosen
	Filename	: draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-infra-addrs-03.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2011-2-17
	
To provide Multicast VPN (MVPN) service, Provider Edge routers
   originate BGP Update messages that carry Multicast-VPN ("MCAST-VPN")
   BGP routes; they also originate unicast VPN routes that carry MVPN-
   specific attributes.  These routes encode addresses from the
   customer's address space, as well as addresses from the provider's
   address space.  These two address spaces are independent, and the
   address family (IPv4 or IPv6) of the two spaces may or may not be the
   same.  These routes always contain an "address family" field that
   specifies whether the customer addresses are IPv4 addresses or
   whether they are IPv6 addresses.  However, there is no field that
   explicitly specifies the address family of the provider addresses.
   To ensure interoperability, this document specifies that provider
   IPv4 addresses are always encoded in these update messages as four-
   octet addresses, and that the distinction between IPv4 and IPv6 is
   signaled solely by the length of the address field.  Specific cases
   are explained in detail.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-infra-addrs-03.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.