Subject: A proposal of intra-subnet L3VPN service for cloud data center interconnection

From: Xu Xiaohu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:40:44 +0800

Hi all,

Virtual Subnet ( <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-virtual-subnet-04>
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-virtual-subnet-04) is a special L3VPN
functionality which uses the existing BGP/MPLS IP VPN protocol [RFC4364] to
build a scalable intra-subnet L3VPN service for cloud data center
interconnection (Thanks L2VPN co-chair Giles Heron for his wise suggestion
of the name “intra-subnet L3VPN service”).

I had presented this draft on the L2VPN WG session in Beijing (see
<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/79/slides/l2vpn-3.ppt>
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/79/slides/l2vpn-3.ppt) and received many
valuable comments and suggestions. As this draft is mainly involved with
BGP/MPLS IP VPN technology, L2VPN WG co-chairs suggested discussing it in
L3VPN WG. 

L3VPN is not meeting in Prague. Hence I would like to discuss it on the
mailing list according to the suggestion from L3VPN co-chairs. 

The basic idea of Virtual Subnet is: PE routers use the existing BGP/MPLS IP
VPN protocol to exchange their own CE host routes which are automatically
generated from the ARP entries of their local CE hosts. In this way, many
virtual subnets across the MPLS/IP backbone can be constructed. Since the
ARP broadcast domain and unknown unicast flooding domain of a single
subnet/LAN are segmented into multiple parts, the ARP broadcast and unknown
unicast flooding will be limited within each VPN site scope. As a result,
this data center interconnection solution could scale well without the
concern of serious broadcast flooding impacts caused by large scale subnets.

Any comments and suggestions are much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Xiaohu

-----邮件原件-----

发件人: IETF I-D Submission Tool [mailto:[email-masked]]

发送时间: 2011年1月24日 12:13

收件人: [email-masked]

主题: New Version Notification for draft-xu-virtual-subnet-04

A new version of I-D, draft-xu-virtual-subnet-04.txt has been successfully
submitted by Xiaohu Xu and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename: draft-xu-virtual-subnet

Revision: 04

Title:        Virtual Subnet: A Scalable Data Center Network Architecture

Creation_date:     2011-01-24

WG ID:        Independent Submission

Number_of_pages: 13

Abstract:

This document proposes a new IP-only L2VPN solution which uses 

BGP/MPLS IP VPN technology [RFC4364] with some extensions, together 

with some other proven technologies including ARP proxy 

[RFC925][RFC1027] to provide a more scalable IP-only L2VPN services 

across a MPLS/IP backbone. This solution is intended to be a 

scalable data center network architecture which can be deployed 

today as an alternative to the spanning tree protocol bridge 

technology.

The IETF Secretariat.