Subject: WG Action: RECHARTER: Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (l3vpn)

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:08:49 -0700 (PDT)

The Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (l3vpn) working group in the Routing
Area of the IETF has been rechartered.  For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the working group Chairs.

Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks (l3vpn)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active Working Group
Last updated: 2011-03-14

Chairs:
  Danny McPherson <[email-masked]>
  Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
  Ben Niven-Jenkins <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Advisor:
  Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>

Mailing lists:
  Address:	[email-masked]
  To Subscribe:	https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/l3vpn
  Archive:	http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/l3vpn/

Description of Working Group:

This working group is responsible for defining, specifying and extending
BGP/MPLS IP VPNs solutions (based on RFC4364 and RFC4659) for supporting 
provider-provisioned Layer-3 (routed) Virtual Private Networks (L3VPNs).

The WG will continue to extend and enhance RFC4364 and RFC4659 based 
solutions so that these solutions can be used to provide IPv4, IPv6, and 
MPLS services including multicast.

The following VPN deployment scenarios will be considered by the WG: 1. 
Single service provider (SP)/single AS: VPN sites attached to the 
network of a single provider within the scope of a single AS.
2. Single SP/multiple AS'es: VPN sites attached to the network of a 
single provider consisting of multiple AS'es.
3. Cooperating SPs: VPN sites attached to networks of different 
providers that cooperate with each other to provide VPN service.

As part of this effort the WG will work on the following tasks:
1. Additional requirements and framework for Layer 3 VPNs.
2. Solution documents, including applicability statements.
3. MIB definitions.
4. Security mechanisms.

As a general rule, the WG will not create new protocols, but will extend
existing protocols to provide the necessary L3VPN functionality. 
Protocol extensions that provide L3VPN functionality will be reviewed by 
both the L3VPN WG and by the WG responsible for the protocol being
extended.

The WG will continue to extend and enhance the Multicast over BGP/MPLS 
VPN solution.

Goals & Milestones:

Done	Submit MVPNv6 using PIM & S-PMSIs specification to IESG as PS.
Done	Submit IPv6 MVPN infrastructure address encoding document to 
        IESG for publication as PS.
Apr-11	Submit specification for using Internal BGP as PE-CE protocol to 
        IESG as PS
May-11	Submit S-PMSI A-D route Wildcard selection specification to IESG 
        as PS.
Nov-11	Submit MVPN Extranet specification to IESG as PS.