Subject: General question re: VRFs and FIBs...

From: Derick Winkworth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:01:21 -0700 (PDT)

All:

I'm trying to find an archived discussion or presentation discussing why exactly the industry generally settled on having a separate FIB table for each VRF vs having one table with a column that identifies the VRF instance?

I'm not finding it, but I'm guessing its because of performance issues?  

Any pointers would be great or perhaps someone on the list knows why?

Thanks!

Derick

---

From: Robert Raszuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:40:19 +0200

Hi Derick,

As I recall main driver for separate RIB and FIB structures (as opposed 
to single one with index used for sharing) was customer isolation and 
separation.

If you crash one customer's RIB/FIB rest of customers can't be impacted.

It is as close as virtual/logical routers without multiplying all other 
router's resources N number of times.

Rgs,
R.