Subject: RE: Discussion of VPN4DC drafts

From: "So, Ning" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:25:58 -0400

Ben,

Thanks putting together the list of drafts.  As you can see from the work produced in this area, a lot of people have been working hard to meet the deadline.  I know at least one more draft that is also related to VPN4DC (  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mcdysan-sdnp-cloudbursting-usecase/).  Dave asked for presentation slot for SDN BoF.  He has also talked with Luyuan and myself about discussing it in VPN4DC barBoF, as well as L3VPN if time permits.   I am also in the process of updating -02 version of Requirement for VPN-oriented Data Center Services with additional input collected recently.  That is the original draft that started VPN4DC work.  

There has been some very good discussions on the scope of VPN4DC.   The current scope is limited to host-to-host connectivity through L3VPN network.  This scope clearly fits the IETF way of doing things.  It is very small, tangible, and achievable.  However, there are a whole new set of protocol work needs to be done in order to allow services to be built on top of the host-to-host connection.  We might want to have some time during the meeting to discuss the going forward scope of work.  

Best regards,
 
Ning So
Verizon Corporate Technology
(office) 972-729-7905
(Cell) 972-955-0914

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 00:35:14 +0100
From: Ben Niven-Jenkins <[email-masked]>
To: L3VPN WG mailing list <[email-masked]>
Subject: Discussion of VPN4DC drafts
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Colleagues,

A number of drafts related to the VPN4DC topic are now available in the Internet-Draft repository. The ones I could fine are listed below.

When the L3VPN session in Taipei was scheduled to discuss VPN4DC it was conditional on the basis that:

1) There needed to be viable -00 drafts before the cutoff.
2) The problem needed to be discussed prior to Taipei on the L3VPN list.

To date there has not been much discussion of VPN4DC on the L3VPN list, possibly because folks were waiting for -00 drafts to be published.

Now that a number of drafts have been published I would encourage those folks interested in the VPN4DC topic to discuss the various drafts on the L3VPN list otherwise you risk having the VPN4DC/L3VPN session in Taipei cancelled.

The VPN4DC related drafts that I could find (there may be others that I've missed) are:

VPN4DC Problem Statement
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dunbar-vpn4dc-problem-statement-00

VPN4DC Problem Statement
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fang-vpn4dc-problem-statement-00

L3VPN automatical interconnection for VPN4DC
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jin-l3vpn-vpn4dc-interconnect-00

Requirements of Layer 3 Virtual Private Network for Data Centers
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-so-vpn4dc-00

L3VPN Protocol Gap Analysis for Data Centers
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-yong-vpn4dc-protocol-gap-analysis-00

Experiment of Example Solution for VPN4DC
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zeng-vpn4dc-example-solution-00

End-system support for BGP-signaled IP/VPNs.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marques-l3vpn-end-system-02

Problem Statement for Dynamic Secure Interconnect
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ko-dsi-problem-statement-00

Ben

---

From: "Luyuan Fang (lufang)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 02:33:23 -0500

Ben,

Thanks a lot! 
And thanks to all participants - those who contribute the drafts and
those discussed the topic on-line and off-line.

In addition to Dave's and Ning's drafts, there are also a couple of more
drafts related to the topic. 

The following can be add to the list:

Cloud Bursting Use Case
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mcdysan-sdnp-cloudbursting-usecase-00

Requirement and Framework for VPN-Oriented Data Center Services
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-so-vdcs-00

Cloud Networking: Framework and VPN Applicability
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bitar-datacenter-vpn-applicability-00

Traffic classification, filtering and redirection for end-system IP VPNs
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-marques-sdnp-flow-spec-00

The two framework docs are covering both L2 and L3, they need to be
discussed in L3VPN and L2VPN.
The other two drafts need to be discussed in L3VPN and SDNP BOF.

> To date there has not been much discussion of VPN4DC on the L3VPN
list, 

There are actually quite a number of folks discussed off-line after the
VPN4DC topic was brought up, and after draft-marques-l3vpn-end-system
was posted. Folks, we really encourage you to bring the off-line
discussions on-line, as much as possible.

Heads-up, we are targeting Tuesday for BarBOF, will send the info on the
time and location to meet later.

Thanks,
Luyuan

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of So, Ning
> Sent: Monday, October 24, 2011 11:26 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: Discussion of VPN4DC drafts
> 
> Ben,
> 
> Thanks putting together the list of drafts.  As you can see from the
> work produced in this area, a lot of people have been working hard to
> meet the deadline.  I know at least one more draft that is also
related
> to VPN4DC (  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mcdysan-sdnp-
> cloudbursting-usecase/).  Dave asked for presentation slot for SDN
BoF.
> He has also talked with Luyuan and myself about discussing it in
VPN4DC
> barBoF, as well as L3VPN if time permits.   I am also in the process
of
> updating -02 version of Requirement for VPN-oriented Data Center
> Services with additional input collected recently.  That is the
> original draft that started VPN4DC work.
> 
> There has been some very good discussions on the scope of VPN4DC.
The
> current scope is limited to host-to-host connectivity through L3VPN
> network.  This scope clearly fits the IETF way of doing things.  It is
> very small, tangible, and achievable.  However, there are a whole new
> set of protocol work needs to be done in order to allow services to be
> built on top of the host-to-host connection.  We might want to have
> some time during the meeting to discuss the going forward scope of
> work.
> 
> 
> 
> Best regards,
> 
> Ning So
> A number of drafts related to the VPN4DC topic are now available in
the
> Internet-Draft repository. The ones I could fine are listed below.
> 
> When the L3VPN session in Taipei was scheduled to discuss VPN4DC it
was
> conditional on the basis that:
> 
> To date there has not been much discussion of VPN4DC on the L3VPN
list,
c
> 
> Now that a number of drafts have been published I would encourage
those
> folks interested in the VPN4DC topic to discuss the various drafts on
> the L3VPN list otherwise you risk having the VPN4DC/L3VPN session in
> Taipei cancelled.
>