Subject: vpn4dc Q&A

From: "Luyuan Fang (lufang)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 00:05:49 -0500

Hi all,

There are a few things around vpn4dc I'd like to kick off the
discussion.

I put my simple answers to each question, very much like to hear yours.

1 What are we trying to achieve in vpn4dc? 

-          DC Host-to-host connectivity through layer 3 signaling
protocols.

       These hosts can be in SP DC, Enterprise DC, content provider's
DC, any DC... The connection can be in the same DC, or different DCs
within any admin domains.

2. What cannot be achieved through L3VPN today?

        - We don't have a stds way for host-to-host vpn connectivity
through protocols signaling which easily work in DC. 

       - BGP/MPLS VPN is extremely successful in network environment.
But it is normally not accepted in the computing community. I had
discussion with folks working on DC directly or indirectly, including
Google, Yahoo, Facebook, VZ, AT&T, CenturyLink, T-Systems, ... many
folks think layer 3 is a scalable approach, but no BGP/MPLS VPN inside
DC, into host... so we need to bridge the gap.

      - And this is no long SP provisioned vpns, it has wider scope.

3. What is missing?

     The missing piece is the segment in DC and
inter-connection/auto-mapping of the DC segment to the network segment.

4. Is this IETF problem?

- Yes. It is about IP protocols for establish connectivity.

5. Who wants this? 

    Please speak out if you do.

6. What are not in scope for this initiative/charter?

- L2VPN for DC connectivity - that goes to L2VPN WG

- Encryption, key management, new authentication protocols - these go to
Security Area.

- Multicast - the mcast use in DC need to be further studied. We like to
start without mcast to make things simpler, be able to move.

Looking forward seeing  your comments to any of the questions.

Thanks,

Luyuan