Subject: RFC 6516 on IPv6 Multicast VPN (MVPN) Support Using PIM Control Plane and Selective Provider Multicast Service Interface (S-PMSI) Join Messages

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 14:54:25 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6516

        Title:      IPv6 Multicast VPN (MVPN) Support 
                    Using PIM Control Plane and Selective 
                    Provider Multicast Service Interface (S-PMSI) Join 
                    Messages 
        Author:     Y. Cai, E. Rosen,
                    Ed., I. Wijnands
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2012
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 11992
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-spmsi-joins-02.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6516.txt

The specification for Multicast Virtual Private Networks (MVPNs)
contains an option that allows the use of PIM as the control protocol
between provider edge routers.  It also contains an option that
allows UDP-based messages, known as Selective Provider
Multicast Service Interface (S-PMSI) Join messages, to be used to bind
particular customer multicast flows to particular tunnels through a
service provider's network.  This document extends the MVPN
specification (RFC 6513) so that these options can be used when the 
customer multicast flows are IPv6 flows.  [STANDARDS-TRACK]

This document is a product of the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC