Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-wildcards-02.txt> (Wildcards in Multicast VPN Auto-Discovery Routes) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 15:20:56 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l3vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'Wildcards in Multicast VPN Auto-Discovery Routes'
  <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-wildcards-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2012-02-23. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In "Multicast Virtual Private Networks" (MVPNs), customer multicast
   flows are carried in "tunnels" through a service provider's network.
   The base specifications for MVPN define BGP multicast VPN
   "auto-discovery routes", and specify how to use an auto-discovery
   route to advertise the fact that an individual customer multicast
   flow is being carried in a particular tunnel.  However, those
   specifications do not provide a way to specify, in a single such
   route, that multiple customer flows are being carried in a single
   tunnel.  Those specifications also do not provide a way to advertise
   that a particular tunnel is to be used by default to carry all
   customer flows, except in the case where that tunnel is joined by all
   the provider edge routers of the MVPN.  This document eliminates
   these restrictions by specifying the use of "wildcard" elements in
   the customer flow identifiers.  With wildcard elements, a single
   auto-discovery route can refer to multiple customer flows, or even to
   all customer flows.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-wildcards/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mvpn-wildcards/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.