Subject: Last Call: <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mldp-vrf-in-band-signaling-03.txt> (Multipoint Label Distribution Protocol In-Band Signaling in a VRF Context) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:18:17 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks
WG (l3vpn) to consider the following document:
- 'Multipoint Label Distribution Protocol In-Band Signaling in a VRF
   Context'
  <draft-ietf-l3vpn-mldp-vrf-in-band-signaling-03.txt> as Proposed
Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2014-02-12. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   An IP Multicast Distribution Tree (MDT) may traverse both label
   switching (i.e. - Multi-Protocol Label Switching, or MPLS) and non-
   label switching regions of a network.  Typically the MDT begins and
   ends in non-MPLS regions, but travels through an MPLS region.  In
   such cases, it can be useful to begin building the MDT as a pure IP
   MDT, then convert it to an MPLS Multipoint Label Switched Path (MP-
   LSP) when it enters an MPLS-enabled region, and then convert it back
   to a pure IP MDT when it enters a non-MPLS-enabled region.  Other
   documents specify the procedures for building such a hybrid MDT,
   using Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) in the non-MPLS region of
   the network, and using Multipoint Extensions to Label Distribution
   Protocol (mLDP) in the MPLS region.  This document extends those
   procedures to handle the case where the link connecting the two
   regions is a "Virtual Routing and Forwarding Table" (VRF) link, as
   defined in the "BGP IP/MPLS VPN" specifications.  However, this
   document is primarily aimed at particular use cases where VRFs are
   used to support multicast applications other than Multicast VPN.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mldp-vrf-in-band-signaling/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l3vpn-mldp-vrf-in-band-signaling/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   http://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2216/