Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 06:59:42 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: LDAP: The Protocol
	Author(s)	: J. Sermersheim
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-07.txt
	Pages		: 58
	Date		: 07-Mar-02
	
This document describes the protocol elements, along with their 
semantics and encodings, for the Lightweight Directory Access 
Protocol (LDAP). LDAP provides access to distributed directory 
services that act in accordance with X.500 data and service models. 
These protocol elements are based on those described in the X.500 
Directory Access Protocol (DAP).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-07.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:08:53 -0700

This cut contains the following changes (summarized, followed by
details):

Summary:
- Fixed the title, abstract, intro, and references sections to conform
to other ldapbis doc's and new guidelines.
- Alignment with [Models], [Roadmap], [AuthMeth], and [LDAPIANA]
- Added notes and ASN.1 notation regarding extensibility.
- Removed references to LDAPv2
- Made further "AttributeDescription" and ";binary" clarifications
- Added result codes appendix

Detail:
C.8.1 Title
- Changed to "LDAP: The Protocol" to be consistent with other working
group documents

C.8.2 Abstract
- Moved above TOC to conform to new guidelines
- Reworded to make consistent with other WG documents.
- Moved 2119 conventions to "Conventions" section

C.8.3 Introduction
- Created to conform to new guidelines

C.8.4 Models
- Removed section. There is only one model in this document (Protocol
Model) 

C.8.5 Protocol Model
- Removed antiquated paragraph: "In keeping with the goal of easing the
costs associated with use of the directory, it is an objective of this
protocol to minimize the complexity of clients so as to facilitate
widespread deployment of applications capable of using the directory."
- Removed antiquated paragraph concerning LDAP v1 and v2 and
referrals.

C.8.6 Data Model
- Removed Section 3.2 and subsections. These have been moved to
[Models]

C.8.7 Relationship to X.500
- Removed section. It has been moved to [Roadmap]

C.8.8 Server Specific Data Requirements
- Removed section. It has been moved to [Models]

C.8.9 Elements of Protocol
- Added "Section 5.1 specifies how the protocol is encoded and
transferred." to the end of the first paragraph for reference.
- Reworded notes about extensibility, and now talk about implied
extensibility and the use of ellipses in the ASN.1
- Removed references to LDAPv2 in third and fourth paragraphs.

C.8.10 Message ID
- Reworded second paragraph to "The message ID of a request MUST have a
non-zero value different from the values of any other requests
outstanding in the LDAP session of which this message is a part. The
zero value is reserved for the unsolicited notification message." (Added
notes about the non-zero and zero values).

C.8.11 String Types
- Removed ABNF for LDAPOID and added "Although an LDAPOID is encoded as
an OCTET STRING, values are limited to the definition of numericoid
given in Section 1.3 of [Models]."

C.8.12 Distinguished Name and Relative Distinguished Name
- Removed ABNF and referred to [Models] and [LDAPDN] where this is
defined.

C.8.13 Attribute Type
- Removed section. It's now in the [Models] doc.

C.8.14 Attribute Description
- Removed ABNF and aligned section with [Models]
- Moved AttributeDescriptionList here.

C.8.15 Transfer Options
- Added section and consumed much of old options language (while
aligning with [Models])

C.8.16 Binary Transfer Option
- Clarified intent regarding exactly what is to be BER encoded.
- Clarified that clients must not expect ;binary when not asking for it
(;binary, as opposed to ber encoded data).

C.8.17 Attribute
- Use the term "attribute description" in lieu of "type"
- Clarified the fact that clients cannot rely on any apparent ordering
of attribute values.

C.8.18 LDAPResult
- To resultCode, added ellipses "..." to the enumeration to indicate
extensibility. and added a note, pointing to [LDAPIANA]
- Removed error groupings and refer to new Appendix A.

C.8.19 Bind Operation
- Added "Prior to the BindRequest, the implied identity is anonymous.
Refer to [AuthMeth] for the authentication-related semantics of this
operation." to the first paragraph.
- Added ellipses "..." to AuthenticationChoice and added a note "This
type is extensible as defined in Section 3.6 of [LDAPIANA]. Servers that
do not support a choice supplied by a client will return
authMethodNotSupported in the result code of the BindResponse."
- Simplified text regarding how the server handles unknown versions.
Removed references to LDAPv2

C.8.20 Sequencing of the Bind Request
- Aligned with [AuthMeth] In particular, paragraphs 4 and 6 were
removed, while a portion of 4 was retained (see C.8.9)

C.8.21 Authentication and other Security Service
- Section was removed. Now in [AuthMeth]

C.8.22 Continuation References in the Search Result
- Added "If the originating search scope was singleLevel, the scope
part of the URL will be baseObject."

C.8.23 Security Considerations
- Removed reference to LDAPv2

C.8.24 Result Codes
- Added as normative appendix A

C.8.25 ASN.1
- Added EXTENSIBILITY IMPLIED
- Added a number of comments holding referenced to [Models] and
[ISO10646].
- Removed AttributeType. It is not used.

Jim