Subject: Re: escapement of single quote in dstring

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 18:58:09 -0600

Actually, what I would do is add the escapement note to qdstring (that
is where we define the ' separator). Similarly, qdstrings needs a note
on escaping the right paren.

Jim

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]> 04/22/02 11:06AM >>>
Cathy,

We've noticed that the dstring ABNF has changed to require single
quotes to be escaped. This will break our implementation of the
LDAP-specific encoding of the Postal Address syntax. I imagine other
implementations will break as well.

If the new escapment was added so that certain elements of schema
syntaxes could be escaped, I suggest we instead refer the reader to
section 2.1 (next to last paragraph) and specify that single quotes
inside dstrings found in these schema syntaxes be escaped with the \xx
notation (as well as the backslash itself).

Jim

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 01:41:11 -0700

>on escaping the right paren.

In general, I believe that escaping of arbitrary strings should
be consistent consistent with RFC 2252, 4.3.  This is the
approach I've used for qdstring in draft-ietf-ldapbis-models.

Kurt