Subject: ;binary design teams

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:58:07 -0700

Two design teams have been formed to offer replacement text
for Section 4.1.5 of draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-07.txt to the
WG.  A leader for each team has been chosen by the WG chairs from
the team members.  This leader will serve as editor of the
replacement text.  The design teams are expected to be
short-lived (2-4 weeks).

Design Team A will offer replacement text consistent with the
position that ;binary must be used to indicate the transfer
of binary encoded values.
	Mark Smith (Lead), Steven Legg, David Chadwick

Design Team B will offer replacement text consistent with the
position that the use of ;binary is not necessary to indicate
the transfer of binary encoded values.
	David Chadwick (Lead), Chris Oliva, Tim Hahn

Additionally, chairs will participate in design team discussions.

Kurt, LDAPbis co-chair

---

From: David Chadwick <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 19:03:28 +0100

> replacement text.  The design teams are expected to be
Kurt

I dont like the briefs of the design teams as they are diametrically
opposed to each other. I think that better briefs would be

> Design Team A will offer replacement text consistent with the

use of the ;binary description to indicate that attribute values MUST be
transferred as BER encoded octets

> the transfer of binary encoded values.

if implementations can determine by other means that BER encoding is to
be used

Regards

David

-- 
*****************************************************************

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
Professor of Information Systems Security
IS Institute, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT
Tel: +44 161 295 5351  Fax +44 161 745 8169
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
Email: [email-masked]
Home Page:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/chadwick.htm
Research Projects: http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk
Understanding X.500:  http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/X500.htm
X.500/LDAP Seminars: http://www.salford.ac.uk/its024/seminars.htm
Entrust key validation string: MLJ9-DU5T-HV8J
PGP Key ID is 0xBC238DE5

*****************************************************************

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:55:54 -0700

>opposed to each other. I think that better briefs would be

To clarify:

Each team should provide a replacement text for WG consideration
which is consistent with its view.  The description of the team
is informational in nature.

Kurt