Subject: escapement of single quote in dstring

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:06:04 -0600

Cathy,

We've noticed that the dstring ABNF has changed to require single
quotes to be escaped. This will break our implementation of the
LDAP-specific encoding of the Postal Address syntax. I imagine other
implementations will break as well.

If the new escapment was added so that certain elements of schema
syntaxes could be escaped, I suggest we instead refer the reader to
section 2.1 (next to last paragraph) and specify that single quotes
inside dstrings found in these schema syntaxes be escaped with the \xx
notation (as well as the backslash itself).

Jim

---

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:08:54 -0600

I should have looked there. I agree with the escaping mechanism (\xx),
but I still think it cannot be applied to dstring unless we are careful
to not use dstring in syntaxes like postalAddress. We should either 
- define a new, non-escaped dstring
- leave dstring as UTF8 and create an edstring (escaped dstring)
- leave dstring as UTF8 and apply the escapment rules to qdstring

Jim

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 04/23/02 02:41AM >>>
At 05:58 PM 2002-04-22, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Actually, what I would do is add the escapement note to qdstring
(that
>is where we define the ' separator). Similarly, qdstrings needs a
note
>on escaping the right paren.

In general, I believe that escaping of arbitrary strings should
be consistent consistent with RFC 2252, 4.3.  This is the
approach I've used for qdstring in draft-ietf-ldapbis-models.

Kurt