Subject: Re: WG consensus: remove ;binary

From: Mark Wahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:54:27 -0500

>So with that said what is the transition plan for phasing it out of 
>current products and will it just ignor a ;binary tag on an LDAPsearch 
>for instance. 

It shouldn't be phased out of products as it is required for 
interoperability, it just needs to be moved from one document (2252 revision)
to another.  The part of the LDAP specs which defines certificate attribute 
handling will need to define the ;binary transfer option for use with those 
attributes.

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems Inc.

---

From: Mark Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 19:08:11 -0400

> handling will need to define the ;binary transfer option for use with those 

I think we need to clarify the consequences of the LDAPbis WG's decision 
to remove ;binary. My understanding is that the PKIX WG has no plans to 
use ;binary for PKI attributes, which means over time ;binary will be 
entirely phased out (the main use for ;binary has been for PKI 
attributes). That means we do have a transition issue that must be 
addressed.

-- 
Mark Smith
AOL Strategic Business Solutions
My words are my own, not my employer's.

---
This message was sent via Netscape Messaging Server 6.0.