Subject: Continuation reference to root DN

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 14:38:27 +0100

The protocol draft says:

> 4.5.3 "Continuation References in the Search Result" says:
>   The SearchResultReference is of the same data type as the Referral. 
>   URLs for servers implementing the LDAP protocol are written according 
>   to [LDAPDN]. The <dn> part MUST be present in the URL,
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What if one wants to specify a search from basedn ""?

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 18:22:19 -0800

>>   to [LDAPDN]. The <dn> part MUST be present in the URL,

Provide an present but empty <dn> part.

Kurt

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 15:06:54 +0100

> Provide an present but empty <dn> part.

Well, maybe.  Since there is no difference between the two, I have
difficulty reading the sentence as something else than "the DN may MUST
NOT be empty."  How about replacing that sentence with:

  If the DN has length zero, it means the root DN "" and not a default
  DN.

This makes the contrast with 4.1.10. Referral clear.  There, an absent
DN means use the old DN.  (Which BTW means that referrals cannot refer
to the root DN.)

-- 
Hallvard