Subject: Quoted characters in the Substring Assertion syntax

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:45:53 +0100

draft-ietf-ldapbis-syntaxes-02.txt says:

> 3.32 Substring Assertion
>                                                 If a backslash or 
>   asterix character is present in a production of <value>, it is 
>   quoted as described in section 2.1.

May other characters be quoted?  I.e. can one put a quoted 'substrings'
value from the String Filter draft in a Substring Assertion?
"(" and ")" must be quoted in string filters, and other octets _may_ be
quoted.

If others can be quoted: this section talks about quoted _characters_.
It may be better to talk about quoted _octets_, like the string filter
draft was changed to do.  An UTF-8 character can consist of several
octets, each of which can be quoted in filters.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Steven Legg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 15:56:37 +1100

Hallvard,

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> May other characters be quoted?

I've replaced descriptive text like this with explicit ABNF for the
-04 draft that makes it clear. I've taken a strict interpretation
that only "\" and "*" are escaped. Implementations are always free
to be liberal in what they accept.

> I.e. can one put a quoted 
> 'substrings'

The <substring> rule in the string representation of filters and
the Substring Assertion syntax are unrelated. However, a value of
the Substring Assertion syntax may appear as the <assertionvalue>
for the <extensible> rule in a string filter.

Regards,
Steven