Subject: short name: international consideration

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 19:12:04 -0800

I would like to replace the first paragraph of [Models, 6.2]
with:

 Short names, also known as descriptors, are used as more
 readable aliases for object identifiers and are used to
 identify various schema elements.  However, it is not
 expected that LDAP implementations with human user
 interface would display these short names (nor the object
 identifiers they refer to) to the user, but would most
 likely be performing translations (such as expressing the
 short name in one of the local national languages).  For
 example, the short name "st" (stateOrProvinceName) might
 be displayed to a German-speaking user as "Land".    

 The same short name ... (rest of current first paragraph).

(The astute reader may recognize that much of the additional
text is borrowed from RFC 2253.  This will be acknowledged.)

Comments?

Kurt