Subject: Models: Structural Object Class

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:08:04 -0700

>2.4.2. Structural Object Classes

It may be good to note (as X.501 does) that an entry's
structuralObjectClass attribute may be interrogated to discover which
value of the entry's objectClass attribute is the structural object
class.

Jim

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:46:34 -0800

>value of the entry's objectClass attribute is the structural object

And 'governingStructureRule', too?

 3.4.5. 'structuralObjectClass'            
  
 The attribute indicates the structural object class of the entry.

     ( 2.5.21.9 NAME 'structuralObjectClass'                   
       EQUALITY objectIdentifierMatch
       SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.38
       SINGLE-VALUE NO-USER-MODIFICATION
       USAGE directoryOperation )

 The 'objectIdentifierMatch' matching rule and OBJECT IDENTIFIER
 (1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.38) syntax is defined in [Syntaxes].

 3.4.6. 'governingStructureRule'
         
 The attribute indicates the structure rule governing the entry.

     ( 2.5.21.10 NAME 'governingStructureRule'                
       EQUALITY integerMatch
       SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.27
       SINGLE-VALUE NO-USER-MODIFICATION
       USAGE directoryOperation )

 The 'integerMatch' matching rule and INTEGER
 (1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.27) syntax is defined in [Syntaxes].

Personally, I don't have a problem adding both of these as they
address technical omissions.  One, however, could consider the
above to be 'LDAP non-"core" schema' [LDAPBIS charter].  This
charter issue I defer to Bob (who acts as sole chair in regards
to this I-D).

Kurt

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 14:39:13 -0500

> charter issue I defer to Bob (who acts as sole chair in regards

I view both of these (structuralObjectClass and governingStructureRule) 
as non-core schema (extensions to LDAPv3, not core). That does not mean 
they are not useful to some applications though.

-- 
Mark Smith
Netscape Directory Product Development
My words are my own, not my employer's.