Subject: Add values without equality matching rule

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 19:40:28 +0100

[Protocol] 4.6 (Modify Operation) says:

   If an EQUALITY matching rule has not been defined for an attribute 
   type, clients MUST NOT attempt to add or delete individual values of 
   that attribute from an entry using the "add" or "delete" form of a 
   modification, and MUST instead use the "replace" form. 

Why not?  What's the difference between adding values one at a time and
all at once?  The server has to compare them in any case, to check that
two equivalent values are not added.  If there is no equality matching
rule, it compares the values octet by octet.  (See [Models] 2.3.)

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:56:16 +0100

>rule, it compares the values octet by octet.  (See [Models] 2.3.)

I think there was odd wording in 2251 regarding what was
allowed/disallowed with multiple valued attributes which
have no EQUALITY rule and/or where the server doesn't implement
that EQUALITY rule.

[Models, 2.3] attempts to clarify the data model requirements.
Once we have consensus there (which the WG Last Call should
determine), I think [Protocol] should be aligned to [Models].

Kurt