Subject: Models: Subclassing

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:22:35 -0700

Section 2.4 describes object class subclassing, but should express the
effect of subclassing (namely that a subclass inherits the MUST and MAY
list(s) of superior object classes in its superclass chain, but does not
inherit Name Forms or DIT Content Rules)

Section 2.4.2 states "Structural object classes cannot subclass
auxiliary object classes." and Section 2.4.3 states "Auxiliary object
classes cannot subclass structural object classes.". I can't find these
restrictions in X.501--can you point out the reference?

Jim

---

From: Kathy Dally <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:57:51 -0500

Hi Jim!

There are no restrictions in X.501 on structural and auxiliary classes
being subclasses of one another.  Although it doesn't make a lot of
sense to me, I have seen cases where several structural object classes
have an auxiliary as the superclass.  I can't think of an example of the
reverse, off hand.

Thanks,
Kathy

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 11:06:59 -0800

>restrictions in X.501--can you point out the reference?

You won't find any clear, explicit statement in X.501 regarding this.

I added the above statements to address what I consider to
be a technical omission in the existing specification.  The
alternative would be describe the semantics of such subclassing.
I didn't take this alternative as such subclassing makes no
sense to me.

Kurt