Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 15:35:34 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: LDAP:String Representation of Distinguished Names
	Author(s)	: K. Zeilenga
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn-09.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2003-3-7
	
The X.500 Directory uses distinguished names (DNs) as primary keys to
entries in the directory.  This document defines the string
representation used in the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol
(LDAP) to transfer distinguished names.  The string representation is
designed to give a clean representation of commonly used distinguished
names, while being able to represent any distinguished name.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn-09.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn-09.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn-09.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 07:40:22 -0800

draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn details the "static table" approach
previously adopted by the WG. It was recently updated, see below.
draft-zeilenga-ldapbis-rfc2253 details a "registry" approach.
I had intended to update it as well, but due an error on my part,
this update will not be announced until after IETF#56.  However,
I think the revision currently available is good enough to
consider the following question:

Should the WG pursue the "registry" approach as discussed in
draft-zeilenga-ldapbis-rfc2253 in favor of the "static table"
approach discussed in draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn?

Comments?

Kurt, as editor

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 14:59:16 -0500

> approach discussed in draft-ietf-ldapbis-dn?

I prefer the registry approach, since I think there is some pressure 
from real users to avoid OIDs in LDAP DNs.

Maybe I missed it, but would this be a new IANA registry?

-Mark

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:53:08 -0800

>Maybe I missed it, but would this be a new IANA registry? 

draft-zeilenga-ldapbis-rfc2253 proposes to use the
"Object Identifier Descriptors" (short names) registry
established by BCP 64 [RFC 3383].