Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-klasen-ldap-facs-tel-number-matching-00.txt

From: Norbert Klasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 22:21:00 +0200

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title	: LDAPv3: matching rules for facsimile Telephone numbers
	Author(s)	: N. Klasen
	Filename	: draft-klasen-ldap-facs-tel-number-matching-00.txt
	Pages		: 8
	Date		: 2003-5-5
	
This document defines an equality and substrings matching rule for
the Facsimile Telephone Number syntax and updates the
facsimileTelephoneNumber attribute type to use them.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klasen-ldap-facs-tel-number-match
ing-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-klasen-ldap-facs-tel-number-matching-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-klasen-ldap-facs-tel-number-matching-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-klasen-ldap-facs-tel-number-match
ing-00.txt>

---

From: "Steven Legg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 14:04:26 +1000

Norbert,

The matching rule definitions need correction.

The assertion syntax for facsimileNumberMatch is TelephoneNumber,
i.e. SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.50 .
The assertion syntax for facsimileNumberSubstringsMatch is
SubstringAssertion,
i.e. SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.58 .

Regards,
Steven

Norbert Klasen wrote:
> 	Filename	:
> draft-klasen-ldap-facs-tel-number-matching-00.txt
> 	Pages		: 8
> 	Date		: 2003-5-5
>

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:23:55 +0200

> i.e. SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.58 .

The '$' separators in fax-numbers are just treated as plain characters
when matching?

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 18:07:03 +0200

> The '$' separators in fax-numbers are just treated as plain characters

Hold on.  According to the Syntaxes draft, TelephoneNumber is a
PrintableString, and PrintableString doesn't allow '$'.  Me not
understand...

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Norbert Klasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 21:18:45 +0200

Hallavard,

>> The '$' separators in fax-numbers are just treated as plain characters

The point is that these matching rules only act on the telephone number 
part of a Facsimile Telephone Number. So only characters before the first 
'$' are taken into account when matching. That is why the ASSERTION syntax 
is TelephoneNumber.

> PrintableString, and PrintableString doesn't allow '$'.  Me not

Take as example the following entry:
dn: o=avinci
objectclass: organization
o: avinci
facsimileTelephoneNumber: +49 2102 124 555 $fineResolution$a3Width

Now, searching for "facsimileTelephoneNumber=+49-2102-124-555" would match 
this entry, as
- only the telephone-number part, ie. "+49 2102 124 555 " of the attribute 
value is taken into account
- and the assertion value "+49-2102-124-555" matches the attribute value
  "+49 2102 124 555 " by the telephone number matching rule, ie. ignoring
  the case of letters, and ignoring    space and `-' characters.

I think adding this example and a copy of the ABNF from the definition of 
the Facsimile Telephone Number syntax to the draft should make things a lot 
clearer.

Norbert