Subject: Re: Generalized Time/UTC Time need leap seconds

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 14:47:11 +0200

Steven Legg writes:

>>> [Syntaxes] 4.3.13 (Generalized Time) says:
>>> 
>>>       second  = %x30-36 %x30-39                        ; "00" to "59"
>>> 
>>> That should be "00" to "60", since Coordinated Universal Time has
>>> leap seconds.  See e.g. <http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/systime.html>.
> (...)
> The UTCTime type in X.680 doesn't allow for leap seconds (60 seconds
> is an illegal value). I still have to check whether GeneralizedTime
> allows it.

X.680 (07/2002) in
<http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/studygroups/com17/languages/> defers to
ISO 8601, which does allow leap seconds according to
<http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html>.  I don't have the
actual ISO 8601 document.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 21:19:58 +0200

I wrote:
> ISO 8601,

For GeneralizedTime, I mean.  X.680 UTCTime does not allow leap seconds.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: Kathy Dally <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 23:10:12 -0400

Hi All!

I checked ISO 8601, and it does support leap second.

Thanks,
Kathy

---

From: "Steven Legg" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:44:32 +1000

> I checked ISO 8601, and it does support leap second.

Thanks Kathy. I shall change the ABNF for GeneralizedTime
to allow "60" seconds.

Regards,
Steven

> > >>> leap seconds.  See e.g. 
<http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/systime.html>.