Subject: adding 'uid' to ldap-user-schema

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 17:52:38 -0700

The absence of 'uid' has been discussed previously but did not
come up during WG Last Call.  As with 'dc', LDAP DN specification
requires implementations to support the 'uid' attribute type.
Hence, either we need to add 'uid' to ldap-user-schema or drop
requirement in the LDAP DN specification.

As we discussed previously,  I believe it reasonable to consider
the absence of 'uid' (and 'dc') in the core specification as
a technical omission.  As you couldn't implement RFC 2253
without them, they can be considered "core" LDAP schema and
hence we can correct the omission.

I propose that following text be added to ldap-user-schema:

  The 'uid' attribute type specifies computer system
  login names associated with the object. (Source: RFC 1274,
  RFC 2798).

    ( 0.9.2342.19200300.100.1.1
      NAME 'uid'
      EQUALITY caseIgnoreMatch
      SUBSTR caseIgnoreSubstringsMatch
      SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.15 )

Additionally, the I-D will need to "update" rfc2798 and
include some text like:
	This document updates RFC 2798 by replacing informative
	description of the 'uid' attribute type, with the
	definitive description provided in Section X.Y of
	this document.

Comments?