Subject: Authmeth: IPv6

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:51:25 +0100

[Authmeth]-08 section 1 says:

>   LDAP can be protected with the following security mechanisms: 
>   (...) TLS (...) SASL (...)

Also IPv6 data protection and/or authentication layers, I think.
I don't know IPv6, but I seem to remember mention of both protection
and certificates.

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "RL 'Bob' Morgan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:20:18 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

> Also IPv6 data protection and/or authentication layers, I think. I don't
> know IPv6, but I seem to remember mention of both protection and
> certificates.

I think the protection you're thinking about is IPsec, which applies
identically for both IPv4 and IPv6 as far as I know.  I agree that IPsec
should be listed as a possible protection mechanism in this introductory
text.  Of course, unlike SASL and TLS there are no IPsec-specific elements
in the LDAP protocol.

IPsec is referred to in the state-transition table, with associated
question marks ("?") that I guess indicate some more clarification is
needed?

 - RL "Bob"

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:41:56 -0800

At 10:20 AM 10/28/2003, RL 'Bob' Morgan wrote:
>I agree that IPsec
>text. 

I'd prefer the list to be clarified to be of LDAP security
mechanisms and then add a subsequent note saying that
LDAP may also be protected by other means (IPsec, etc.).

Kurt

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 19:46:10 +0100

RL 'Bob' Morgan writes:
> identically for both IPv4 and IPv6 as far as I know.

Probably.  I know nothing of either.

Roger, note that I made the same mistake in my 'authmeth-07 issues'
message.

-- 
Hallvard