Subject: Re: REVISED protocol review notes [LONG]

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:29:58 -0600

>>> Steven Legg <[email-masked]> 10/22/03 1:17:00 AM >>>
>Yes, but you could also do this:
>
>PartialAttribute ::= SEQUENCE {
>type AttributeDescription,
>vals SET OF AttributeValue }
>
>Attribute ::= PartialAttribute(WITH COMPONENTS {..., vals
(SIZE(1..MAX))})

Wow. This looks cool... but having never seen such a thing, I had to do
a double take. What do others think about using this kind of
definition?

>You could also in-line the right hand side of the Attribute
assignment
>statement everywhere Attribute is needed and then rename
PartialAttribute
>to just Attribute.

True, it's only used in one place right now (AttributeList)

>By the way, are you intending to put identifiers into each of
>the SET OF and SEQUENCE OF notations ? I so, do you want me to
>make some appropriate suggestions ?

I think so, but I wanted to ping the list one more time about this
before deciding.
 
Jim

---

From: Steven Legg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:06:12 +1100

Jim,

Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>  >Attribute ::= PartialAttribute(WITH COMPONENTS {..., vals (SIZE(1..MAX))})
> a double take.

You might like to add an ASN.1 comment for good measure since the notation
is infrequently used, e.g.

     -- must contain at least one attribute value --

Regards,
Steven