Subject: Re: Quoted values in string DN

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:12:46 -0600

Chris,
 
Each ldapbis document contains an informative appendix which lists all
the substantive changes made.
 
Jim

>>> Chris Harding <[email-masked]> 10/18/04 11:35:56 AM >>>

Hi, Jim -

I think that "who should review this from the VSLDAP perspective" is
the members of the DIF. I'm cc'ing this to them.

The definition of LDAP Certified, and the VSLDAP test suite, follows
RFCs 2251, 2252, 2253, etc. Clearly we should look at updating the
definition and the test suite. I would think that the appropriate point
to make a change would be the point at which the ldapbis specs are
formally approved as RFCs.

Do you know whether the ldapbis team has produced (or intends to
produce) a summary of the changes from RFC 2251 etc?

At 17:52 18/10/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
I'm told that the VSLDAP test suite requires that v3 servers parse DN
values containing quoted values.
 
I know the string dn bis document removed Section 4 from RFC 2253.
Justification is given in
http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200012/msg00065.html. I have
two questions:
 
1) can we summarize the justification, and add it to bullet #5 in
Appendix B of string DN?
2) why did we reserve the need to escape double quote characters (see
DQUOTE in escaped, in the ABNF)?
 
Thanks,
 
Jim
 
p.s. Chris, I'm not sure who should review this from the VSLDAP
perspective, can you forward it to the appropriate person?

Regards,

Chris
+++++

========================================================================
                Dr. Christopher J. Harding
  T H E Forum Director for Directory Interoperability and Information
Management
 O P E N        Thames Tower, 37-45 Station Road, Reading RG1 1LX, UK
G R O U P       Mailto:[email-masked] Phone (mobile): +44 774
063 1520
                WWW: http://www.opengroup.org 
========================================================================
Boundaryless Information Flow: Architecting Identity Management
Hyatt at Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco, CA - January 24-28, 2005
http://www.opengroup.org/san-francisco2005/
========================================================================

---

From: Chris Harding <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:05:48 +0100

Hi, Jim -

Thanks, that's great!

At 19:12 18/10/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Chris,
>
>Each ldapbis document contains an informative appendix which lists all the 
>substantive changes made.
>
>Jim
>
>I think that "who should review this from the VSLDAP perspective" is the 
>members of the DIF. I'm cc'ing this to them.
>
>The definition of LDAP Certified, and the VSLDAP test suite, follows RFCs 
>2251, 2252, 2253, etc. Clearly we should look at updating the definition 
>and the test suite. I would think that the appropriate point to make a 
>change would be the point at which the ldapbis specs are formally approved 
>as RFCs.
>
>Do you know whether the ldapbis team has produced (or intends to produce) 
>a summary of the changes from RFC 2251 etc?
>
>><http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200012/msg00065.html>http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapbis/200012/msg00065.html. 
>>I have two questions:
>>
>G R O U P       Mailto:[email-masked] Phone (mobile): +44 774 063 
>1520

Regards,

Chris
+++++

G R O U P       Mailto:[email-masked] Phone (mobile): +44 774 063 1520