Subject: Re: Lifetime of associations

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 09:12:29 +0200

Ramsay, Ron wrote:
 >
 > An exchange can only, generally, encompass a single request and its
 > associated responses. It may be extended during "association"
 > establishment to included negotiation of security layers, etc.

I strongly agree.

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:21:40 +0200

>> establishment to included negotiation of security layers, etc.

'Exchange' has plenty of meanings, e.g. 'telephone exchange'.
[Protocol] section 2 defines this:

   The term "LDAP exchange" refers to application layer where LDAP PDUs 
   are exchanged between protocol peers. 

We didn't find a good term when we discussed this - e.g., I thought
'LDAP stream' was a fine and obvious term, while someone else thought
that cleary sounded like the stream of raw octets - i.e. before decoding
TLS and SASL layers.  So we junked 'stream' for either meaning.  Maybe
'LDAP *data* stream' or 'LDAP channel' or something would be better, I
don't know.

-- 
Hallvard