Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-29.txt

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:10:03 -0700

Here's the rundown on changes in this version:
 
changed strongAuthRequired to strongerAuthRequired
 
Sections 4.1.1, 4.2.1, 4,2,2, 4.4.1, 4.14.3.1
changed "close the transport connection" to "terminate the LDAP
session". (this was done in places where RFC2251 spoke of general
termination and not abrupt connection closure. There is a new Section
5.3 which deals with termination in general)
 
Section 4.1.10
Changed to "ten nested referrals while progressing the operation"
 
Section 4.3
Replaced closure instructions with: "The client, upon transmission of
the UnbindRequest, and the server, upon receipt of the UnbindRequest are
to gracefully terminate the LDAP session as described in Section 5.3."
 
Section 4.14.3
Collapsed subsections into one section. Removed wording about abrupt
TLS closure as 5.3 and 6 covers this.
 
Added Section 5.3 Termination of the LDAP session
 
Section 6.
Added: "In the event that a protocol peer senses an attack which in its
nature could cause damage due to further communication at any layer in
the LDAP session, the protocol peer should abruptly terminate the LDAP
session as described in Section 5.3."
 
Section A.2.
Changed strongerAuthRequired description to "Indicates the server
requires strong(er) authentication in order to complete the operation."

Jim

>>> <[email-masked]> 2/3/05 1:57:16 PM >>>
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group of
the IETF.

Title: LDAP: The Protocol
Author(s): J. Sermersheim
Filename: draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-29.txt
Pages: 63
Date: 2005-2-3

This document describes the protocol elements, along with their 
semantics and encodings, of the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol 
(LDAP). LDAP provides access to distributed directory services that 
act in accordance with X.500 data and service models. These protocol 
elements are based on those described in the X.500 Directory Access 
Protocol (DAP).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-29.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce

to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
"get draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-29.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt 

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
[email-masked] .
In the body type:
"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-protocol-29.txt".

NOTE:The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility. To use this
feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
command. To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
a MIME-compliant mail reader. Different MIME-compliant mail readers
exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:39:41 -0800

Please review the changes made in this revision to ensure
they adequately and appropriately address issues raised
during (and subsequent to) the previous WG Last Call.
It is my intent to forward this revision to the IESG for
consideration within a week or so.

Kurt, LDAPBIS co-chair