Subject: Requesting individual schema elements

From: "Vithalprasad Gaitonde" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 01:26:56 -0700

Is there a mechanism by which an ldap client can request for a specific
schema element (attributetype, objectclass etc) using the OID or the
textual name of the element.
If not,
1. Should this be done by the matched values extension.
http://sec.isi.salford.ac.uk/download/MatchedValues-06.txt. The draft
has expired quite sometime bac.
OR
2. Can we consider special casing the schema search for assertions like
attributetypes=<attrname or oid> to only return the matched value ?
The 2nd option seems preferable.

Thanks,
Prasad

---

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 10:07:23 +0100

> textual name of the element.

No.

> has expired quite sometime bac.

This would be the right solution.

> The 2nd option seems preferable.

Such a special case for matched values seems weird to me. You would have 
to implement something like match values anyway.

BTW: I somewhat understand why you're asking for such a feature. I 
thought about this too. But think twice whether your LDAP client 
application can really live without grabbing and parsing the whole sub 
schema sub entry. We could take this discussion elsewhere if development 
of schema-aware client applications is off-topic here.

Ciao, Michael.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 09:13:35 -0800

>textual name of the element.

See RFC 3876.

Kurt

---

From: John McMeeking <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:34:01 -0600

>textual name of the element.

If you are just trying to determine if a particular attributetype or
objectclass is defined, it seems like an LDAP compare request ought to
work.  For example, I think
   ldap_compare_s(ld, subschemadn, "objectclasses", "2.5.6.6")
ought to return LDAP_COMPARE_TRUE if the "person" object class is defined.

I know this doesn't work on my favorite server, and I don't know if it
works on others.

John McMeeking