Subject: protocol/authmeth: LDAP PDU vs. TLS PDU

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:04:34 +0100

I just noticed this in Authmeth 3.1.2 (StartTLS Response):

> The client will send PDUs in the TLS Record
> Protocol directly over the underlying transport connection to the
> server during TLS negotiation.

and finally realized that "PDU" is not just an LDAP term.  ([TLS] does
use it.)  I had thought it was, from Protocol 4.1 (Common Elements):

> This section describes the LDAPMessage envelope Protocol Data Unit
> (PDU) format, as well as data type definitions, which are used in the
> protocol operations.

I suggest 4.1 is rewritten to clarify that, if anyone has a not too
cumbersome wording.  Also, [Protocol] and [Authmeth] should probably
replace "PDU" with "LDAP PDU" in some places.
Try
   grep PDU *ldapbis* | sed -n 's/LDAP PDU/ZZZ/g; /PDU/p'

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Jim Sermersheim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 10:55:21 -0700

In [Protocol], all references to "PDU" mean LDAP PDU. However, I suppose
I could update them all to LDAP PDU if it seems necessary to avoid
confusion.

>>> Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]> 2/24/05 9:04:34 AM
>>>

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Roger Harrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 15:39:10 -0700

In reviewing the use of PDU in [Authmeth], it feels like the type of PDU
(LDAP vs. TLS) is very obvious from the context in which it is used.
This is the case in [Protocol] with one possible exception: section
4.14.3 Removal of TLS Layer has one point where it might make sense to
s/PDU/LDAP PDU/ to ensure that there isn't any misunderstanding about
the intent. 
 
Roger

>>>Jim Sermersheim <[email-masked]> 02/24/05 10:55 am >>>
In [Protocol], all references to PDU mean LDAP PDU. However, I suppose I
could update them all to LDAP PDU if it seems necessary to avoid
confusion.

>>>Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]> 2/24/05 9:04:34 AM >>>

>server during TLS negotiation.

and finally realized that PDU is not just an LDAP term. ([TLS] does

I suggest 4.1 is rewritten to clarify that, if anyone has a not too
cumbersome wording. Also, [Protocol] and [Authmeth] should probably
replace PDU with LDAP PDU in some places.
Try
grep PDU *ldapbis* | sed -n 's/LDAP PDU/ZZZ/g; /PDU/p'

--
Hallvard