Subject: schema: x500UniqueIdentifier

From: Hallvard B Furuseth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 02:31:18 +0100

schema-08 says:
> 2.43  x500UniqueIdentifier
>
>    In X.520 [X.520], this attribute type is called
>    uniqueIdentifier.  This is a different attribute type from both the
>    "uid" and "uniqueIdentifier" LDAP attribute types.  The
>    uniqueIdentifier attribute type is defined in [RFC1274].

No.  RFC 1274 does not mention LDAP, it defines X.500 attribute types.
It created a name conflict for "uniqueIdentifier" in X.500, unless
it was X.500(1993) which created a name conflict with RFC 1274(1991).

-- 
Hallvard

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 19:30:42 -0800

>it was X.500(1993) which created a name conflict with RFC 1274(1991).

The COSINE uniqueIdentifier attribute type [RFC1274], though
originally defined for use in X.500 pilots, is the LDAP
"uniqueIdentifier" attribute type.

The X.500(93) uniqueIdentifier attribute type is the one defined
in X.520(93) not RFC 1274.  RFC 1274 predates X.500(93).  It is
questionable whether the schema RFC 1274 is usable as specified
in X.500(93).  That is, some adaptation seems necessary (beyond
resolving this naming conflict).

I note that I do plan on deliverying an RFC1274bis I-D for
publication with the revised LDAP TS.  Basically,
draft-zeilenga-ldap-user-schema (next revision to be named
draft-zeilenga-ldap-cosine).  RFC2247bis is on my (very long)
todo list, hopefully I'll find time for this one as well.

Kurt