Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-17.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: LDAP: Authentication Methods and Security Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: R. Harrison
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-17.txt
	Pages		: 30
	Date		: 2005-10-25
	
This document describes authentication methods and security
   mechanisms of the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).

   This document details establishment of Transport Layer Security
   (TLS) using the StartTLS operation.

   This document details the simple Bind authentication method
   including anonymous, unauthenticated, and name/password mechanisms
   and the Secure Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) Bind
   authentication method including the EXTERNAL mechanism.

   This document discusses various authentication and authorization
   states through which a session to an LDAP server may pass and the
   actions that trigger these state changes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-17.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-17.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-17.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 14:09:20 -0700

Please review this I-D within the next week or so to ensure
issues raised during the prior WG Last Call have been adequately
addressed.

Thanks, Kurt

At 12:50 PM 10/25/2005, [email-masked] wrote:
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-17.txt
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-17.txt>

---

From: "Roger Harrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 18:37:10 -0600

To the best of my knowledge, this draft addresses all issues raised
during the WG last call and discussed by last Saturday evening. Here is
a summary of the changes made:

General

- Resolved all known outstanding issues and comments for -16 draft.
- Edits for clarity and consistency.
- Removed -16 section 3.2 (StartTLS Response) as this material is now
covered in [Protocol].
- Reordered several document sections to improve document flow.

Section 2
- Fixed requirements consistency issue with name/password mechanism and
TLS that was caused by moving LDAP's required mechanism from DIGEST-MD5
mechanism to name/password mechanism in -16.

Section 3.1.3

- Refinements to server identity check algorithm based on feedback from
WG reviewers.

Section 5.2.2

- Added a new section on SASL semantics within LDAP based on a
generalization of some material on DIGEST-MD5 semantics within LDAP that
was removed in the -16 draft.

Appendix B

- Completed list of substantive changes to RFC 2829 and RFC 2830.
Removed all other appendices that were tracking changes to this
document.  (I realized this morning that I haven't yet documented the
changes for two sections of RFC 2251. I will post text for these in a
follow-up message).

Please respond with your comments.

Thanks,

Roger

>>> On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at  3:09 pm, in message
<[email-masked]>, "Kurt D.
Zeilenga"
<[email-masked]> wrote: 
> Please review this I- D within the next week or so to ensure
> At 12:50 PM 10/25/2005, Internet- [email-masked] wrote:
>>A New Internet- Draft is available from the on- line Internet- Drafts
directories.
>>This draft is a work item of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group of
the 
> IETF.
>>        Filename        : draft- ietf- ldapbis- authmeth- 17.txt
>>        Pages           : 30
>>        Date            : 2005- 10- 25
>>        
>>A URL for this Internet- Draft is:
>>http://www.ietf.org/internet- drafts/draft- ietf- ldapbis- authmeth-
17.txt
>>
>>To remove yourself from the I- D Announcement list, send a message to

>>i- d- announce- [email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the
body of the 
> message.  
>>You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I- D-
announce 
>>Internet- Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
>>"anonymous" and a password of your e- mail address. After logging
in,
>>type "cd internet- drafts" and then
>>        "get draft- ietf- ldapbis- authmeth- 17.txt".
>>
>>A list of Internet- Drafts directories can be found in
>>or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow- sites.txt
>>
>>
>>Internet- Drafts can also be obtained by e- mail.
>>
>>Send a message to:
>>        [email-masked].
>>In the body type:
>>        "FILE /internet- drafts/draft- ietf- ldapbis- authmeth-
17.txt".
>>        MIME- encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use
this
>>        a MIME- compliant mail reader.  Different MIME- compliant
mail readers
>>Internet- Draft.
>>Content- Type: text/plain
>>Content- ID:     <2005- 10- 25133803.I- [email-masked]>
>>
>>ENCODING mime
>>FILE /internet- drafts/draft- ietf- ldapbis- authmeth- 17.txt
>>
>>
>><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet- drafts/draft- ietf- ldapbis- authmeth-
17.txt>