Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 15:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: LDAP: Authentication Methods and Security Mechanisms
	Author(s)	: R. Harrison
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt
	Pages		: 46
	Date		: 2005-10-14
	
This document describes authentication methods and security
   mechanisms of the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).

   This document details establishment of Transport Layer Security
   (TLS) using the StartTLS operation.

   This document details the simple Bind authentication method
   including anonymous, unauthenticated, and name/password mechanisms
   and the Secure Authentication and Security Layer (SASL) Bind
   authentication method including the EXTERNAL mechanism.

   This document discusses various authentication and authorization
   states through which a session to an LDAP server may pass and the
   actions that trigger these state changes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:16:57 -0700

Please review this revision to ensure changes adequately address
previously raised issues within the next few days.  This will
allow Roger to submit a new revision before the IETF64 cut-off
to address remaining issues.

(Roger noted to me privately that he hasn't yet dealt with
summarizing the Changes Since appendix, so that's still outstanding.)

Kurt

At 12:50 PM 10/14/2005, [email-masked] wrote:
>Content-Type: text/plain
>Content-ID:     <[email-masked]>
>
>ENCODING mime
>FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt
>
>
><ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt>

---

From: "Roger Harrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:52:52 -0600

Authmeth-16 resolves all outstanding comments from the ldapbis WG on
previous revisions of the draft. Some fairly substantial changes were
needed for server identity check (section 3.1.5)  and authorization
state (section 4) in particular. Please review and get me comments by
the end of day Thursday to help me get the -17 draft published prior to
the IETF 64 meeting 

Summary of changes for draft-ldapbis-authmeth-16 

General 

    - Resolved all known outstanding issues and comments for -15 draft. 
    - Numerous edits for clarity and consistency. 
    - Renamed simple authentication mechanism to name/password
mechanism. 
    - Resolved some remaining issues with session/connection terminology

    - Replaced DIGEST-MD5 SASL authentication mechanism with
name/password authentication protected with TLS as the strong
mandatory-to-implement for LDAP. 
    - Removed all normative references to SASL DIGEST-MD5 mechanism. 
    - Moved sections on authentication mechanisms of the simple bind
method into Simple Authentication Method. 
    - Moved sections on SASL profile and SASL authentication mechanisms
into section SASL Authentication Method section. 

Section 3.1.5 
    - Rewrote server identity check algorithm. 

Section 4 
    - Rewrote authorization state section. 

Section 5.1.2.7 
    - Added text indicating the the authzID is an construct that can be
extended by future publications. 

Appendix B 
    - Began a new (and currently redundant) appendix to summarize
substantive changes made to the protocol via this document. This
appendix is currently unfinished. 

Thanks, 

Roger 

>>> <[email-masked]> 10/14/05 1:50 pm >>>
A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP (v3) Revision Working Group of the
IETF.

Title: LDAP: Authentication Methods and Security Mechanisms
Author(s): R. Harrison
Filename: draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt
Pages: 46
Date: 2005-10-14

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username
anonymous and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type cd internet-drafts and then
get draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt.

Send a message to:
[email-masked].
In the body type:
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapbis-authmeth-16.txt.

NOTE:The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
MIME-encoded form by using the mpack utility.  To use this
feature, insert the command ENCODING mime before the FILE
command.  To decode the response(s), you will need munpack or
a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
multipart MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
how to manipulate these messages.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 16:28:48 -0700

The following section 3.1.5.1 needs some clarification:
   The "*" wildcard character is allowed in subjectAltName values of
   type dNSName.  If present, it matches only the left-most label from
   the subjectAltName.  For example, *.bar.com would match a.bar.com   
   and b.bar.com, but it would not match a.x.bar.com nor would it match
   bar.com.

I suggest:
   The '*' (ASCII 42) wildcard character is allowed in subjectAltName
   values of the type dNSName and then only as the left-most
   (least significant) DNS label in that value.  This wildcard
   matches any left-most DNS label in the server name.  That is,
   the subject *.example.com matches the server names
   a.example.com and b.example.com but not the server name
   example.com.

-- Kurt

At 06:52 AM 10/18/2005, Roger Harrison wrote:

>Authmeth-16 resolves all outstanding comments from the ldapbis WG on previous revisions of the draft. Some fairly substantial changes were needed for server identity check (section 3.1.5)  and authorization state (section 4) in particular. Please review and get me comments by the end of day Thursday to help me get the -17 draft published prior to the IETF 64 meeting 
>
>    - Renamed simple authentication mechanism to name/password mechanism. 
>
>    - Replaced DIGEST-MD5 SASL authentication mechanism with name/password authentication protected with TLS as the "strong" mandatory-to-implement for LDAP. 
>
>    - Moved sections on authentication mechanisms of the simple bind method into Simple Authentication Method. 
>
>    - Moved sections on SASL profile and SASL authentication mechanisms into section SASL Authentication Method section. 
>
>Section 3.1.5 
>
>    - Added text indicating the the authzID is an construct that can be extended by future publications. 
>
>Appendix B 
>
>    - Began a new (and currently redundant) appendix to summarize substantive changes made to the protocol via this document. This appendix is currently unfinished. 
>
>Thanks, 
>
>Roger 
>
>

---

From: "Roger Harrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:10:52 -0600

Looks good. I've made the change.

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 10/18/2005 5:28:48 pm >>>

   and b.bar.com, but it would not match a.x.bar.com nor would it
match
   bar.com.

I suggest:

-- Kurt

mechanism. 
>    - Replaced DIGEST-MD5 SASL authentication mechanism with
name/password authentication protected with TLS as the "strong"
mandatory-to-implement for LDAP. 
>
>    - Moved sections on SASL profile and SASL authentication
mechanisms into section SASL Authentication Method section. 
directories.
the message. 
>You can also visit
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
username