Subject: MADMAN Progression

From: Steve Kille <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 1998 06:51:46 +0000

I have heard enough to be absolutely clear that this work should be
progressed as IETF Standards track.  I don't think that there is a
need for anyone else to respond on this (my mailbox is clogged!).

Glenn - could you issue a new Internet Draft, with any edits which you
see as necessary.    Please could your goal be to get this out as
absolutely quickly as possible.

Once this is there,  I will treat it as WG last call on the MADMAN
list.   Assuming that discussion raises small issues which can be
handled cleanly,  I would hope to issue IESG last call in a month or
so.

David Chadwick noted the X.500 CMIP management work.  When MADMAN
started, there was another IETF WG that was looking at much more
general management functions, including CMIP compatibility.   It is
still my sense that this more general work is significanly beyond the
scope of MADMAN.   I would like to get the basic directory MIB,
covering monitoring of LDAP/X.500 directories, written and put to
bed.   If there is desire to do a more general MIB,  I would suggest
that another WG is formed.

Please could ALL discussion of this document now move off the
ietf-ldapext list, and onto the MADMAN list.  To subscribe, send to
[email-masked]

Steve Kille
Chair of the MADMAN WG (hoping to retire soon)