Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 10:13:41 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the LDAP Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: The C LDAP Application Program Interface
	Author(s)	: C. Weider, T. Howes, M. Smith, M. Wahl, 
                          A. Herron, A. Anantha
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-00.txt
	Pages		: 60
	Date		: 16-Mar-98
	
This document defines a C language application program interface to the
Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP). This document replaces the
previous definition of this API, defined in RFC 1823, updating it to
include support for features found in version 3 of the LDAP protocol.
New extended operation functions were added to support LDAPv3 features
such as controls.  In addition, other LDAP API changes were made to sup-
port information hiding and thread safety.
 
The C LDAP API is designed to be powerful, yet simple to use. It defines
compatible synchronous and asynchronous interfaces to LDAP to suit a
wide variety of applications. This document gives a brief overview of
the LDAP model, then an overview of how the API is used by an applica-
tion program to obtain LDAP information.  The API calls are described in
detail, followed by an appendix that provides some example code demon-
strating the use of the API. This document provides information to the
Internet community. It does not specify any standard.

Internet-Drafts are available by anonymous FTP.  Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address.  After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-00.txt".
A URL for the Internet-Draft is:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-00.txt

Internet-Drafts directories are located at:

	Africa:	ftp.is.co.za
	
	Europe: ftp.nordu.net
		ftp.nis.garr.it
			
	Pacific Rim: munnari.oz.au
	
	US East Coast: ds.internic.net
	
	US West Coast: ftp.isi.edu

Internet-Drafts are also available by mail.

Send a message to:	[email-masked].  In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-c-api-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.