Subject: proposed change for matched values only control

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 19:21:36 -0700

I propose changing the matched values only (MVO) control, defined as a
Boolean in <draft-ietf-ldapext-matchedval-01.txt> to the following (pardon
any errors in the ASN.1).

        SimpleFilter ::= SEQUENCE OF SimpleFilterItem

        SimpleFilterItem ::= CHOICE {
                equalityMatch   [3]
AttributeValueAssertion,
                substrings      [4]
SubstringFilter,
                greaterOrEqual  [5]
AttributeValueAssertion,
                lessOrEqual     [6]
AttributeValueAssertion,
                present         [7]
AttributeDescription,
                approxMatch     [8]
AttributeValueAssertion,
                extensibleMatch [9]
MatchingRuleAssertion }

Attributes given in any of the SimpleFilterItem(s) must also be listed (or
implied) in the attributes parameter of the SearchRequest.  I realize that
this change would break compatibility with the matchedValuesOnly boolean
parameter of the X.511 (93) DAP
Search operation.  I also think that there are problems with the way that
parameter, and the MVO control are defined.

Bruce
==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com

---

From: Sean Mullan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 19:44:10 -0400

Bruce,

Are you saying that this SimpleFilter would override or replace the Filter
parameter of the Search operation? Also, if the SEQUENCE contains more
than one item, is an AND expression implied? I think that simple
AND/OR filters are quite useful with the MVO control (as long as
you evaluate the entire expression). When you try to apply the 
control with nested AND/OR filters the model breaks down.

I agree with your argument that the MVO control does not seem to
work well in practice when combined with very complex, nested filters. 
However, I would like to understand how your proposal works in more detail 
and hear from others about this change.

-- 
Sean Mullan			Email: [email-masked]
Sun Microsystems Laboratories	Tel:   (781) 442-0926	
One Network Drive		Fax:   (781) 442-1692
Burlington, MA 01803-0902

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 23:17:40 -0700

No.  The SimpleFilter acts in concert with the Filter parameter of the
SearchOperation.  The Filter Parameter tells which entries are returned in
the SearchResult.  The SimpleFilter tells which attributes from matching
entries are returned.  Any attribute value for which one of the listed
attribute value assertions succeeds is returned.  I don't think that either
AND or OR logic applies in this scenario.

Bruce