Subject: Attribute names not Internationalized ?

From: sanjay jain <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 10:42:16 -0700

From RFC 2252 section 4.1 and 4.2, it looks like

attribute names have not been internationalized.

Does anybody know what's the reason ?

thanks

sanjay

---

From: Erik Skovgaard <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 11:41:16 -0700

Sanjay,

I ran into that one, too.  As you may know, French is used extensively in
parts of Canada.

Althogh many products allow you to change the name of LDAP attributes, it
is generally a bad idea to do so on the server side since some clients
(e.g. some PKI products) expect the names assigned in RFC 2252, RFC 1274
and others.

To be sure, you can use OIDs when you make requests, but they tend to be
rather user-unfriendly :-)
But even if you did use OIDs, chances are that the server would return the
names of the attributes as per RFC 2252.

As far as I can see, the only solution is to translate the names in the
client.  Some clients allow you to build a translation table and may even
have a table for the language of your choice.  You would have to add the
names of the attributes, you define for your private schema, of course.

Cheers,                    ....Erik.

------------------------------------
Erik Skovgaard
GeoTrain Corp.
Enterprise Directory Engineering
http://www.geotrain.com

At 10:42 99/10/07 -0700, sanjay jain wrote:
>Does anybody know what's the reason ? thanks 
>sanjay