Subject: Protocol Action: LDAP Extensions for Scrolling View Browsing of Search Results to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 07:25:08 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'LDAP Extensions for Scrolling
View Browsing of Search Results' <draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-04.txt>
as a Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the LDAP
Extension Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and
Patrik Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
This document describes a Virtual List View control  extension  for  the
LDAP  Search  operation.  This control is designed to allow the "virtual
list box" feature, common in existing  commercial  e-mail  address  book
applications, to be supported efficiently by LDAP servers. LDAP servers'
inability to support this client feature is a significant impediment  to
LDAP replacing proprietary protocols in commercial e-mail systems.

The control allows a client to specify that the  server  return,  for  a
given  LDAP search with associated sort keys, a contiguous subset of the
search result set. This subset is specified in terms of offsets into the
ordered list, or in terms of a greater than or equal comparison value.

Working Group Summary

The working group had consensus on producing this paper even though
a similar functionality exists already in "Simple Paged Results"
which is specified in RFC 2696 (as described in section 8 of this
document).

Protocol Quality

Patrik Faltstrom reviewed the document for the IESG.