Subject: Dinner BOF - Evolving LDAP Schema Entries (ELSE) Wed Aug 2 1730-1930

From: Ellen Stokes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 22:45:46 -0500

Here's some information on the informal (dinner) ELSE BOF.
For those interested, meet at the message board Wed Aug 2 at 1730.
Ellen

--------------------------

Evolving LDAP Schema Entries (ELSE) BOF

IETF Applications Area

LDAPv3 (RFC 2251-2252) describes how clients can locate and retrieve the
attribute types, object classes and other schema rules which govern
an entry in the directory (its subschema). The underlying schema model is
defined in X.500(93 and later).

Neither LDAPv3 nor X.500 currently define how administrative clients can
change the subschema over protocol. Several distinct implementations have been
proposed, and interoperability is needed to allow applications to place
their schema into any appropriate LDAPv3 server, and allow administrators to
evolve their schema.

The goal of this BOF is to determine whether there is sufficient interest
in forming an IETF working group for this topic.

This working group would define how LDAPv3 clients can create and change
subschema. In particular it would consider (but not limited to):

- grouping of LDAP schema attribute values
- procedures for partitioning subschema administrative areas
- procedures for merging new schema elements into a subschema area
- determining allowable changes to existing schema
- procedures for updating and removing existing schema elements

The working group would not define any schemas itself, and schema
repositories, non-LDAP directories and non-directory databases are out
of scope of the working group.

The working group might also consider additional schema model elements
beyond those required in RFC 2251 that would be suitable for inclusion or
refinement in the subschema entry.

BOF Agenda
- Problem statement
- Work item prioritization
- Working group charter review