Subject: Discovering LDAP Services with DNS - draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-03.txt

From: "Michael Armijo" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 12:48:30 -0700

The Locate draft has been updated and sent to Internet-Drafts based on
comments from LDAPEXT.

Changes include:
Sample of conversion from DN to fully qualified DNS name.
Additional definition of <proto>

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 15:20:52 -0400

Greetings,

I have the following comments on the Internet Draft:

Section 3, last sentence of second paragraph:

text from draft:
"If the final RDN component of the DN is not of type "DC" then the DN
cannot be converted to a domain name."

This sentence contradicts the example DN: "cn=John Doe, ou=accounting,
dc=example, dc=net" since the "final RDN component" is "cn=John Doe" and
thus not of type "DC".  I would suggest that the wording of the sentence be
modified to indicate that parsing the DNS name stops at the first RDN
component (starting from the right) that is NOT of type "DC".  That way, in
the example, only: "dc=example, dc=net" is used to create "example.net".

Section 4:

What DN is then submitted to the LDAP server?  Would it be the full DN:
"cn=John Doe, ou=accounting, dc=example, dc=net" or the portion of the DN
that was NOT used in locating the LDAP server instance (i.e. "cn=John Doe,
ou=accounting" )?

Additional comment:

It might be nice to show mappings to LDAP URL formats as well as in:

"cn=John Doe, ou=accounting, dc=example, dc=net" ==>
ldap://example.net:389/cn=John Doe, ou=accounting, dc=example, dc=net
or
"cn=John Doe, ou=accounting, dc=example, dc=net" ==>
ldap://phoenix.example.net:389/cn=John Doe, ou=accounting
etc.

Regards,
Tim Hahn

Internet: [email-masked]
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Endicott/IBM@IBMUS or IBMUSM00(HAHNT)
phone: 607.752.6388     tie-line: 8/852.6388
fax: 607.752.3681