Subject: Re: Open issues with the Java LDAP API draft

From: "Steve Sonntag" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:04:12 -0700

Kurt,

The default behavior for following referrals is specified in
the LDAPConstraints object.  The boolean doReferrals parameter
controls whether referrals are followed or not.  The default
for this parameter is "FALSE", i.e. referrals are not
automatically followed [period].  See also 4.7.8.

-Steve

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]> 22-Jan-01 11:47:32 PM >>>
At 05:13 PM 1/21/01 -0800, Rob Weltman wrote:
>  These are the issues that have been raised (that I am aware of) with the latest Java LDAP Internet Draft (http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ldapext-ldap-java-api-12.txt), along with my own proposals for disposition.

I have a few other issues.  Many of these have been
discussed previously.

............cut................

Appears the default behavior is to chase referrals.  As I've
noted previously on this list, this is not a wise default from
a security perspective.  The default should be not to chase
referrals (period).
.............cut................

Kurt

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:37:53 -0800

>automatically followed [period].  See also 4.7.8.

I was mislead by section 1 (top of page 10).  A clarification
in this paragraph as to the default behavior might be appropriate.

Kurt