Subject: extended partial response

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:03:59 -0800

Roger,

A few comments...

I'd like to see the Abstract (actually the whole document)
generalized a bit more.  It's a bit Extended Operation centric
(which is understandable given its roots).  In fact, I suggest
that the PDU be referred to as simply as a "partial" response.

I like to see a specific statement that this response PDU SHOULD
be used instead extendedResponse to return partial search responses.

Also, section 3 might provide a "Background and Intended Use"
discussion.  In particular, I'd like to see a brief discussion
(not specification) of possible uses such as:
	1) multiple response "extended operation"
	2) subtree control w/ delete operation
	3) progress responses (returns percent of operation
	completed)

In section 4, you should state that partial responses generated
due to control processing require an responseName.  (With
extended operations, the responseName is not necessarily needed).

You might also note that responseNames of partial responses
should not be published in the root DSE as they are always
associated with some extendedRequest or control (who's OID
should be published in the root DSE).

Kurt