Subject: LDAP/X.500 location proposal (was: DN -> DNS: X.500 group's proposal for using DNS to locate LDAP servers)

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 16:08:17 -0800

Frankly, I believe the approach is not viable due to numerous
insurmountable technical, operational, and administrative
issues of adding such RRs to the "." and TLDs.

Kurt

At 01:36 PM 3/22/01 -0500, Slone, Skip wrote:
>As promised in the LDAPext meeting earlier this week, I am sending a set of
>links to the X.500 group's working document that outlines the group's
>proposal for extending DNS to facilitate the location of LDAP servers based
>on the DN.  The document is the LDAP/X.500 alignment draft. The background
>concepts are presented in Annex A, and the proposal itself is found in Annex
>B.  The links below are to the Word and PDF versions of this WD,
>respectively:
>
>ftp://ftp.bull.com/pub/OSIdirectory/Geneva2001/TD%20Output/TD3044R1LDAPalign
>ment2ndWD.doc
>
>ftp://ftp.bull.com/pub/OSIdirectory/Geneva2001/TD%20Output/TD3044R1LDAPalign
>ment2ndWD.pdf
>
> -- Skip Slone

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 21:56:40 -0800

>issues of adding such RRs to the "." and TLDs.

I concur with Kurt.  I don't see the AVA resource record being added to the 
root or all top level domains.  I note that early in the document, it says: 
"We believe name resolution is a critical enabler to the ability to build 
cooperative directory systems. We see benefit in alignment work that 
addresses the following: ...
  -• allowing distributed name resolution to extend through X.500, LDAP, 
and DNS (most notably the SRV record) namespaces without the user having to 
know or care"

Yet later on, in Annex B where it talks about name resolution using DNS, 
the SRV record is not used or mentioned.  What happened?

> >ftp://ftp.bull.com/pub/OSIdirectory/Geneva2001/TD%20Output/TD3044R1LDAPalign

==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com