Subject: My conclusions on the Java LDAP API

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:01:07 -0800

It's my opinion that this I-D should not be recommended
to the IESG for publication as Proposed Standard at this
time.

I do not believe the I-D is sufficiently detailed.  That
is, I do not believe two independent developers could produce
interoperability implementations based solely on this
specification (including its normative references).  In
particular, the I-D should be updated to describe the
relationship between API and protocol elements, detail the
handling of unexpected application input and server provided
data, and discuss security considerations.

I do not consider the set of specific issues I have raised on
the list as being any where near complete nor the discussions
of these issues as being conclusive.  I will try to do my
best to raise other issues before last call, but due to the
number of issues and my schedule, I likely will only be able
to hit upon issues regarding one or two more classes.  I will
send my notes to the chair(s) and author(s) prior to WG
Last Call completion.

Kurt