Subject: Access Control Model draft - conditions for proceeding with operation

From: [email-masked] (Richard V Huber)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 11:17:12 -0500

Section 5.4 contains the paragraph: "If they are all granted then the
operation MAY proceed.".  Section 5.5 contains the similar paragraph
"If this permission is granted, then the operation MAY proceed.".

I don't understand why these are both MAYs.  If all the necessary
permissions from the access control model are there, the operation MUST
proceed from an access control point of view.

There may be other conditions (size/time limits, etc.) that keep the
operation from proceeding and it might be good to mention them here,
but MAY still seems inappropriate from an access control point of
view.  I could live with "If they are all granted, the operation is
allowed from an access control point of view."

Rick Huber

---

From: Rob Byrne <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:28:53 +0100

> allowed from an access control point of view."

Rick,

Good man...you spot something that was left deliberately vague, explain
why and then suggest how to fix it!

Will make appropriate modif.

Rob.

---

From: Ellen Stokes <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 18:00:41 -0600

I agree.  Changed wording as requested in sections 5.4 and 5.5
to "If they are all granted, then the operation is allowed from an
access control point of view."
Ellen