Subject: piece wise retrieval of multivalued attrib.

From: Himanshu Chatterjee <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 12:12:44 -0700

Hi,  Do we have any plans for a control which can retrieve the
attribute values of a multivalued attribute, piece wise and asyncronously.
This would be immensely helpful to retrieve values of a huge multivalued
attribute  ( like rfc822mailMembers or a mailGroup class, which can
potentially have a million values ). or there is a work around for this
fundamental problem.

Thanks

Himanshu Chatterjee

Oracle Corp,

---

From: "Miklos A. Sue" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:32:26 -0400

I have an operational requirement to use mail (distribution) lists that may
contain up to 3.5 - 4 million entries (All MIL, for example).  The use of
nested lists is currently how we're doing it, with very labor intensive
alias management.  

I'd welcome a directory service that supported this in a more efficient
manner, for email at a minimum.

Are there any standardized schema elements for this capability proposed (in
the email context) or should I ask the S/MIME WG?

regards,
Sandi

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 5:54 PM
To: Kurt D. Zeilenga
Cc: John McGarvey; Himanshu Chatterjee; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: piece wise retrieval of multivalued attrib.

"Kurt D. Zeilenga" wrote:
> 
> At 02:33 PM 4/20/01, John McGarvey wrote:
> >I believe the duplicate entry draft, in combination with the scrolling
view
> >browsing draft, would serve this purpose.
> 
> Don't be surprised if the server returns unwillingToPerform
> when asked to duplicate an entry millions of times.

I think it would be better to spend some time designing the directory
service and the associated applications to avoid the need to store
millions of values.

-- 
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / Netscape