Subject: IANA Considerations for LDAP

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:38:37 -0700

As indicated at IETF#50, I put together an I-D detailing
IANA Considerations for LDAP <draft-ietf-ldapbis-iana-01.txt>.
Please post technical comments to <[email-masked]>
and editorial comments directly to me.  As noted in the
LDAPext minutes, this I-D will eventually be last called in
both WG so please review early and often.

Kurt

---

From: [email-masked] (Richard V Huber)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 11:51:44 -0400

Should the use of "e-" be restricted only to experimental attribute
result codes and authentication mechanisms?  If someone wants to
register "e-commerce-auth" as an authentication mechanism in a
Standards Action, it is allowed?

The draft is clear that e- is reserved solely for experimental use for
OID names and attribute options, but it not is clear for result codes
or authentication methods (it is clear that experimental codes and
methods MUST start with e-, but not whether non-experimental names MAY
start with e-).

I think we should have consistency.  Either e- may only be used for
experimental OID names, attribute options, result codes, and
authentication methods or all experimental names, etc. MUST start with
e- but other names MAY also start with e-.

Rick Huber