Subject: Re: piece wise retrieval of multivalued attrib.

From: "John McGarvey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:33:29 -0400

I believe the duplicate entry draft, in combination with the scrolling view
browsing draft, would serve this purpose.

-- John McGarvey

Himanshu Chatterjee <[email-masked]> on 04/20/2001 03:12:44
PM

To:   [email-masked], [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:  piece wise retrieval of multivalued attrib.

Hi,  Do we have any plans for a control which can retrieve the attribute
values of a multivalued attribute, piece wise and asyncronously. This would
be immensely helpful to retrieve values of a huge multivalued attribute  (
like rfc822mailMembers or a mailGroup class, which can potentially have a
million values ). or there is a work around for this fundamental problem.

Thanks
Himanshu Chatterjee
Oracle Corp,

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 14:37:08 -0700

>browsing draft, would serve this purpose.

Don't be surprised if the server returns unwillingToPerform
when asked to duplicate an entry millions of times.

Kurt

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark C Smith)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 17:54:06 -0400

> when asked to duplicate an entry millions of times.

I think it would be better to spend some time designing the directory
service and the associated applications to avoid the need to store
millions of values.

-- 
Mark Smith
Directory Product Development / Netscape

---

From: Bruce Greenblatt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:12:19 -0700

>service and the associated applications to avoid the need to store

I strongly agree.  This points out a flaw in the schema/DIT structure, and 
not a missing feature of the LDAP protocol.  Also note that if you need to 
check if a user is a member of the mailing list, you can use the Compare 
operation.  You could implement the proposed matched values only control, 
which I believe is a bad thing that only encourages poor schema/DIT 
structure design.  The best thing to do is to restructure the information 
in the DIT.

==============================================
Bruce Greenblatt, Ph. D.
Directory Tools and Application Services, Inc.
http://www.directory-applications.com

---

From: "David Sutton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:22:17 +0100

This is a real requirement - and its one we've been discussing at CP for
some time. The conclusion here is that we can support it using dup entry in
conjunction with simple paged.

Most customers understand that groupOfNames is the object class used to hold
a group - and they build out their infrastructures based on that assumption.
When we arrive they are already dealing with groupOfNames objects with 10s
of 1000s of member values. Its kinda too late to tell them to rebuild their
infrastructure using an alternative schema/DIT structure!

For applications that simply need to check if a user is a member of a group
it is true that the compare operation can be used. However there are other
applications (e.g. meta-directory) that may need to examine every member
value of a group in order to transform the member values of the group before
replicating it into another directory name space for example.

- David

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bruce Greenblatt [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 21 April 2001 00:12
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: piece wise retrieval of multivalued attrib.
>
>