Subject: JAVA SDK and error code handling for Server Side Sorting

From: "John Liang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:37:12 -0400

HI there,

It sounds to me Netscape JAVA API expects LDAP_SUCCESS 
in SearchResultDone message when there is an error associated
with SSS control. 

I remember that we had a discussion about defining a new error 
code like ControlError for an error associated with controls 
and put detailed error code to the result control from the server.
Any new progress on this?

And what is the programming model for the client API at this
case? First check the result code for SearchResultDone; and
then check the result code in the result control if any?

Thanks,
--
John Liang

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 12:58:11 -0700

>in SearchResultDone message when there is an error associated

That appears to be the RFC 2891 described behavior (section 2,
item 4).

>Any new progress on this?

There is an I-D available for review:
  draft-armijo-ldap-control-error-01.txt
        
I believe the current intent is to modify VLV to use this result
code.

I would like to see this result code used with SSS as well, but
that would require revising RFC 2891.

>then check the result code in the result control if any?

The client should first check the LDAP resultCode in the
response PDU.  If this resultCode is controlError, then the
client should behave as indicated in the request control(s)
specifications.  This may involve checking values in response
control(s).

Note that SSS does prescribe use of controlError and hence
the processing of SSS should not result in a controlError.

Kurt

---

From: "John Liang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:24:20 -0400

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Kurt D. Zeilenga [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, April 27, 2001 3:58 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: JAVA SDK and error code handling for Server Side Sorting
> 
> 

RFC 2891 makes use of the control's criticality field to decide to
send unsorted result or not. I remember that it only makes sense
if the LDAP server does not support this control. So was it changed
somehow? 

I thought the I-D draft for control error is going to be applied for
all controls besides VLV. 

Thanks,
--
John Liang

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:36:34 -0700

>if the LDAP server does not support this control. So was it changed

Well, one could argue that RFC 2891 inappropriate overloads the
criticality field of the control by use it to imply different
semantics upon recognized and supported controls.  That's an
issue which likely should be addressed during the eventual
revision of RFC 2891.

>all controls besides VLV. 

It can be applied by the specification of any control for use
with that control.

Kurt