Subject: Using DNS to locate LDAP servers

From: "Slone, Skip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:00:34 -0400

As discussed at and subsequent to IETF-50, I have put together an I-D on
using DNS to locate LDAP servers, regardless of whether the DN includes "dc"
attributes.  The I-D has been published as an individual submission at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-slone-dn2fqdn-00.txt

The abstract reads:

   A Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) request must be directed
to an
   appropriate server for processing. This document specifies an extension
to the
   Domain Name System (DNS) and specifies a method for discovering such
servers
   using information in DNS.  This document complements and enhances
previously
   specified methods of locating an appropriate server in that it works for
   distinguished names constructed with or without the "dc" attribute type.

   The DNS extension is specified as an AVA Resource Record.  The method of
   discovering servers queries DNS for AVA records to resolve a DN to a
fully
   qualified domain name, then queries DNS for SRV records to complete the
   location process.

Feedback is welcome!

 -- Skip Slone