Subject: RE: Does anyone have application(s) that uses SRV records ?

From: Olafur Gudmundsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:09:26 -0400

At 02:36 PM 6/8/2001, Levon Esibov wrote:
>If you are aware of any other than Windows 2000 LDAP client
>implementation(s) that uses SRV DNS records to locate LDAP servers,
>please, contact me directly (I don't want to spam this mailing list).

Good, is there documentation on how this is supposed work for LDAP ?

This is the second protocol offered up so I think we can try to figure out
some tests based on them.

         Olafur
Ps: Spam namedroppers if documentation exists.

---

From: "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:24:52 -0700

>Good, is there documentation on how this is supposed work for LDAP ?

The current proposal can be found in draft-ietf-ldapext-locate-05.txt.
I note that there is some debate regarding the distinguished name
to DN mapping algorithm, so there may be still be significant changes
before this I-D is progressed.

There are a number of implementations based (to some degree) on this
I-D.  RFC 3088 describes an experimental use of DNS SRV for LDAP
referral generation.  Also, Microsoft is using DNS SRV within
Active Directory.  There are other, similar implementations.
These multiple independent implementations of this I-D can locate
an appropriate LDAP service for the requested LDAP distinguishedName.

There may also be implementations with incompatible LDAP-DN->DNS-FQDN
mappings.  However, their use of DNS SRV to locate the LDAP service
hosting LDAP for the DNS-FQDN should be compatible.

I believe that there is some useful DNS SRV interoperability
reporting which LDAP DNS SRV implementors.

As an implementor of LDAP locate using DNS SRV, I would be willing
to report my experiences.

        -- Kurt