Subject: [ldapext] draft-zeilenga-ldap-dontusecopy: criticality

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 00:27:22 +0200

HI!

draft-zeilenga-ldap-dontusecopy-06.txt says:
"The criticality MUST be TRUE."

What's the rationale for being so strict?

Ciao, Michael.
_______________________________________________
Ldapext mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ldapext

---

From: Kurt Zeilenga <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 18:59:58 -0700

> What's the rationale for being so strict?

Primarily so that the semantic is a boolean, and hence can be mapped  
directly to the X.511 dontUseCopy option.  Also, I don't see much of a  
difference in no control versus a non-critical control in this case,  
as both would allow the server to use copies.

-- Kurt

---

From: Michael Ströder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:18:14 +0200

Kurt Zeilenga wrote:
> difference in no control versus a non-critical control in this case, as 
> both would allow the server to use copies.

Well, I'd like to use it in a case where my client would accept "best 
effort" of the server not to use a copy. Otherwise I would have to send 
the control with criticality TRUE and re-send the same request without 
the control in case of unavailableCriticalExtension returned by the server.

The main problem is that it's impossible to find out whether a server 
supports a certain control (within a particular naming context) without 
sending it. (And even if you send it and unavailableCriticalExtension 
you cannot really tell if the client sent several critical controls.)

Ciao, Michael.