Subject: Submission of draft-rharrison-lburp-00.txt

From: "Roger Harrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 09:54:33 -0600

In response to the discussion at IETF-45 in Oslo regarding the bulk transmission of LDIF data from client to server, I've written the Internet-Draft referenced below.  I have attached a copy of the draft for your convenience. I would appreciate your comments and feedback.

Thanks,

Roger Harrison
------------------------------------------------------

Roger G. Harrison
Novell, Inc.
[email-masked] 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: LDAP Bulk Update/Replication Protocol
	Author(s)	: R. Harrison, J. Sermersheim
	Filename	: draft-rharrison-lburp-00.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 14-Oct-99
	
The protocol described in this document allows an LDAP client (a
genuine client or an LDAP server acting as a client) to perform a
bulk update to a replica on an LDAP server using standard LDAP
update operations encapsulated within the LDUP Update Transfer
Protocols described in [LDUP MODEL] and [LDUP RUP]. The protocol may
be used to initialize all of the entries in an LDAP replica or to
incrementally change the existing entries in an LDAP replica. It is
suitable for client utilities that need to efficiently initialize a
replica with many entries or efficiently make a substantial set of
update changes to a replica. It is also suitable as a protocol for
replication between a single master replica and its slave replicas.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rharrison-lburp-00.txt 

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-rharrison-lburp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt 

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rharrison-lburp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.