Subject: Latest Draft of URP

From: Steven Legg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 17:18:49 +1000 (EST)

All,

Attached is a copy of the latest draft for URP. Go to section 12.2 for a summary
of the changes since the previous draft.

Regards,
Steven Legg

INTERNET-DRAFT                                                S. Legg
draft-ietf-ldup-urp-02.txt                                    Telstra
                                                             A. Payne
                                               PricewaterhouseCoopers
                                                     October 22, 1999

                 LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures

    Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999). All Rights Reserved.

   Status of this Memo

   This document is an Internet-Draft and is in full conformance with
   all provisions of Section 10 of RFC2026.

   Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
   Task Force (IETF), its areas, and its working groups.  Note that
   other groups may also distribute working documents as Internet-
   Drafts.

   Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
   and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
   time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
   material or to cite them other than as "work in progress".

   The list of current Internet-Drafts can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1id-abstracts.txt

   The list of Internet-Draft Shadow Directories can be accessed at
   http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html.

   This draft is published by the IETF LDUP Working Group.  Distribution
   of this document is unlimited.  Comments should be sent to the LDUP
   Replication mailing list <[email-masked]> or to the authors.

   This Internet-Draft expires on 22 April 2000.

   1. Abstract

   This document describes the procedures used by directory servers to
   reconcile updates performed by autonomously operating directory
   servers in a distributed, replicated directory service.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 1]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   2. Table of Contents

   1. Abstract                                                          1
   2. Table of Contents                                                 2
   3. Introduction                                                      2
   4. Model Extensions                                                  3
   4.1  Unique Identifier                                               3
   4.2  Timestamps & Existence                                          3
   4.3  Replication Primitives                                          4
   4.4  Lost & Found                                                    5
   5. Replication Procedures                                            6
   5.1  Processing LDAP, DAP or DSP Operations on the DIT               6
   5.1.1  Add Entry                                                     7
   5.1.2  Remove Entry                                                  7
   5.1.3  Modify Entry                                                  7
   5.1.4  Modify DN                                                     9
   5.2  Generating Replication Primitives                               9
   5.3  Processing Replication Primitives on the DIT                   11
   5.3.1  Saving Deletion Records                                      12
   5.3.2  Glue Entries                                                 13
   5.3.3  Generating Change Sequence Numbers                           13
   5.3.4  Comparison of Attribute Values                               14
   5.3.5  Entry Naming                                                 14
   5.3.6  Processing Add Attribute Value Primitive                     17
   5.3.7  Processing Remove Attribute Value Primitive                  17
   5.3.8  Processing Remove Attribute Primitive                        19
   5.3.9  Processing Add Entry Primitive                               19
   5.3.10  Processing Remove Entry Primitive                           20
   5.3.11  Processing Move Entry Primitive                             21
   5.3.12  Processing Rename Entry Primitive                           22
   6. Security Considerations                                          23
   7. Acknowledgements                                                 23
   8. References                                                       23
   9. Intellectual Property Notice                                     23
   10. Copyright Notice                                                24
   11. Authors' Address                                                25
   12. Appendix A - Changes From Previous Drafts                       25
   12.1 Changes in Draft 01                                            25
   12.2 Changes in Draft 02                                            26
   13. Appendix B - Open Issues                                        26

   3. Introduction

   Each DAP, LDAP or DSP operation successfully performed by a DSA is
   subsequently reported to other DSAs with which it has a replication
   agreement as a set of one or more simple timestamped replication
   primitives.  These primitives reflect the intended final state of an

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 2]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   update operation rather than the specific changes required to achieve
   that state.

   A DSA will receive replication primitives from its various agreement
   partners according to the agreement schedules. Those primitives must
   be reconciled with the current DSA contents.  In broad outline,
   received replication primitives are compared to the timestamp
   information associated with the directory data item being operated
   on. If the primitive has a more recent timestamp a change in the
   directory contents is made (which may involve only the revision of
   the timestamp). If the DSA has other replication agreements then the
   change will be reflected in primitives sent during replication
   sessions for those other agreements.  If the primitive has an older
   timestamp it is no longer relevant and is simply ignored.

   The update reconciliation procedures are designed to produce a
   consistent outcome at all participating DSAs regardless of the order
   in which the primitives are received. The primitives can also be
   safely replayed in the event that an exchange of replication
   information with another DSA is interrupted. This greatly simplifies
   the recovery mechanisms required in the replication protocol.

   4. Model Extensions

   This section describes the extensions to the data model required to
   effect multiple master replication.

   4.1 Unique Identifier

   A Unique Identifier is associated with each entry in the global DIT.
   This Unique Identifier must be globally unique for all time in the
   Directory. This can be achieved by defining a unique DSA prefix for
   each DSA and then ensuring that the suffix of the Unique Identifier
   is locally unique.

   Some pre-allocated global Unique Identifier values will be used to
   indicate the X.500 global root entry, and the Lost & Found entry (see
   Section 4.4).

   4.2 Timestamps & Existence

   The timestamp for a replication primitive or directory data item is
   in the form of a Change Sequence Number (CSN). The components of the
   CSN are, from most significant to least significant, a time in
   seconds, a change count, a Replica Identifier and a modification
   number.  Notionally a CSN is associated with an entry's Relative
   Distinguished Name (the Name CSN), the reference to its superior
   entry (the Parent CSN) and each of its attribute values (including

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 3]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   the distinguished values), to record the time of the most recent
   action on that part of the entry.

   The entry itself has a CSN (the Entry CSN) asserting the most recent
   time at which the entry was added.  An entry is permitted to be
   removed and then re-added at one or more DSAs.  In this context re-
   adding an entry means reusing the Unique Identifier of a removed
   entry and does not refer to the case of reusing the RDN of a removed
   entry. The reuse of a Unique Identifier can arise by the explicit
   action of a directory administrator to restore an entry that was
   mistakenly removed.  The mechanism by which an administrator adds an
   entry with a reused Unique Identifier is outside the scope of the
   X.500 and LDAP standards since the Unique Identifier of an entry is
   not a user modifiable attribute. Note that from the perspective of a
   consumer DSA of a partial area of replication an entry may appear to
   be removed and added several times because modifications to the entry
   change whether the entry satisfies the replication agreement
   specification for the area of replication.

   Additionally, a deletion record is kept for each of the recently
   deleted entries, attributes, or attribute values. The deletion record
   contains a CSN and asserts that the associated directory object no
   longer existed at the particular time.

   4.3 Replication Primitives

   Each update operation performed on an entry in a part of the DIT
   subject to one or more replication agreements must be subsequently
   reported as replication primitives to the replication partner DSAs of
   those agreements.  The collection of primitives sent by a DSA to a
   replication partner may reflect both the results of locally processed
   user update requests and also of replicated updates received from
   other DSAs.  A single update operation will decompose in one or more
   primitives.

   Common to all update primitives is an entry identifier argument, uid,
   containing the Unique Identifier of the target entry of the change,
   and a CSN argument, csn, to indicate the time of the change.  In the
   case of adding a new entry, the Unique Identifier for the entry is
   allocated by the DSA in the course of processing the operation.
   Additional arguments are present depending on the type of replication
   primitive.

   The p-add-entry(uid, csn, superior, rdn) primitive is used to add a
   new entry with minimal contents.  The superior argument contains the
   Unique Identifier of the immediate superior entry of the added entry.
   The rdn argument contains the Relative Distinguished Name of the
   added entry.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 4]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   The p-move-entry(uid, csn, superior) primitive is used to change the
   immediate superior of an entry.  The superior argument contains the
   Unique Identifier of the new superior entry.

   The p-rename-entry(uid, csn, rdn) primitive is used to change the
   Relative Distinguished Name of an entry.  The rdn argument contains
   the new RDN for the entry.

   The p-remove-entry(uid, csn) primitive is used to remove an entry.

   The p-add-attribute-value(uid, csn, type, value) primitive is used to
   add a single attribute value to an entry.  The type argument contains
   the attribute type of the value and the value argument contains the
   attribute value.

   The p-remove-attribute-value(uid, csn, type, value) primitive is used
   to remove a single attribute value from an entry.  The type argument
   contains the attribute type of the value and the value argument
   contains the attribute value.

   The p-remove-attribute(uid, csn, type) primitive is used to remove
   all values of an attribute from an entry.  The type argument contains
   the attribute type to be removed.

   These primitives reflect the intended final state of an update
   operation rather than the specific changes required to achieve that
   state.

   4.4 Lost & Found

   Each connected set of mastering DSAs have a Lost & Found entry
   nominated. As a result of conflicting updates at two or more master
   DSAs, an entry may be left with a reference to a non-existent
   superior entry.  Such an entry is called an orphaned entry. When this
   situation arises, the DSA creates a glue entry for the missing
   superior entry. This glue entry is made a subordinate of the Lost &
   Found entry and the orphaned entry becomes a subordinate of the glue
   superior entry (see Section 5.3.2).  Entries that exist in the Lost &
   Found subtree may still be modified by actions of the replication
   protocol since entries are identified by Unique Identifiers in the
   protocol, independent of their positioning in the global DIT.

   Entries will also be explicitly moved to become immediate
   subordinates of the Lost & Found entry to prevent the formation of a
   loop in the superior-subordinate relationships in the DIT. This
   situation can only arise through conflicting move entry operations at
   two or more master DSAs.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 5]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   Entries that exist under the Lost & Found entry may be returned to a
   suitable position in the DIT by an administrator or user with
   appropriate access rights.

   5. Replication Procedures

   The procedures defined in this section ensure the consistent and
   correct application of the results of DAP, LDAP or DSP operations
   across all multi-master replication DSAs.

   5.1 Processing LDAP, DAP or DSP Operations on the DIT

   A successful DAP, LDAP or DSP operation applied to a part of the DIT
   subject to a replication agreement will create or replace one or more
   CSNs on an entry or its contents, and create zero, one or more
   deletion records referencing the entry or its contents.  The CSNs and
   deletion records generated from an operation are atomic with that
   operation. That is, either the operation succeeds, the CSNS are
   revised and the deletion records are stored, or the operation fails,
   no CSNs are revised and no deletion records are stored.  In all
   cases, all current error conditions (i.e. reasons for rejecting an
   LDAP, DAP or DSP update operation) remain.

   At some later time, possibly immediately following the update or
   concurrently with it, the CSNs on entry contents and deletion records
   are used to generate the replication primitives that will report the
   update to other DSAs via a replication session.

   All the CSNs generated from a single update operation must use the
   same time, change count and Replica Identifier.  The modification
   number is permitted to vary but must be assigned such that when the
   CSNs resulting from the operation, including those in the deletion
   records, are compared to the CSNs resulting from any other operation
   they are all strictly greater than or all strictly less than those
   other CSNs (i.e.  in a global CSN ordering of the primitives
   resulting from all operations the primitives of each operation must
   be contiguous in that ordering).  In order for the update to be
   consistently applied when replicated to other DSAs the CSNs generated
   during that update must generally be greater than any pre-existing
   CSNs on the updated entry's contents. It is expected that DSAs will
   normally use the current time according to their system clocks in
   generating the CSNs for an operation. However in an environment where
   DSA clocks are not necessarily synchronized the current time may be
   older than existing CSNs on entry contents. The constraints the new
   CSNs must satisfy with respect to pre-existing CSNs on entry data are
   covered in the sections on each type of update operation. The current
   LDUP architecture draft [LDUP Model] requires client update
   operations to be rejected if the current time does not satisfy the

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 6]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   constraints on the generation of the CSNs.  As written, URP allows a
   DSA to generate CSNs in advance of its current time to satisfy the
   constraints and proceed with the update.

   The LDUP Update Vector mechanism imposes the additional constraint
   that the CSN generated for an update operation must also be greater
   than the highest CSN generated by the DSA that has already been seen
   by any other DSA. An implementation that generates successively
   greater CSNs for each operation will satisfy this constraint.

   The following sections describe the additional actions to support
   replication carried out in processing each particular type of update
   operation.

   5.1.1 Add Entry

   The LDAP Add operation or DAP addEntry operation is used to add a
   leaf entry to the DIT.  A successful request will generate a CSN for
   the entry.  The CSN on the entry's RDN, the CSN on the entry's
   superior reference, and the CSN on each distinguished and non-
   distinguished value added to the entry by the add entry operation are
   set to this same value.  The affected values include any operational
   attributes automatically generated by the DSA.

   The Unique Identifier generated for an entry created by a user
   request is required to be globally unique for all time, so there
   cannot be a pre-existing entry deletion record for the same Unique
   Identifier.  However it is recognized that, in practice, Directory
   administrators may need to restore a deleted entry using its original
   Unique Identifier (the mechanism used to achieve this is undefined
   and outside the scope of this specification). In this case the CSN
   for the entry must be generated such that it is greater than or equal
   to the CSN of any existing entry, attribute or value deletion records
   and greater than any of the CSNs contained in an existing glue entry,
   for the same Unique Identifier.

   5.1.2 Remove Entry

   The LDAP Delete operation or DAP removeEntry operation is used to
   remove a leaf entry from the DIT. If the request succeeds then an
   entry deletion record is stored containing the Unique Identifier of
   the removed entry.  The CSN for the entry deletion record must be
   generated such that it is greater than the entry CSN of the removed
   entry.

   5.1.3 Modify Entry

   The LDAP Modify operation (ModifyRequest) or DAP modifyEntry

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 7]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   operation is used to perform a series of one or more modifications to
   an entry.  If the request succeeds then zero, one or more new values
   with CSNs are added to the entry contents, and zero, one or more
   value or attribute deletion records are stored.

   The modifications described by the modification argument of the LDAP
   ModifyRequest have the following additional effects:

      a) The add alternative associates a CSN with each of the added
      attribute values.

      b) The delete alternative with no listed values generates an
      attribute deletion record for the removed attribute type.

      c) The delete alternative with listed values generates a value
      deletion record for each of the removed values.

      d) The replace alternative first generates an attribute deletion
      record for the removed attribute type.  A CSN is then associated
      with each of the added values.

   The modifications described by the changes argument of the X.500
   modifyEntry operation have the following additional effects:

      a) The addAttribute and addValues alternatives associate a CSN
      with each of the added attribute values. These two alternatives
      are equivalent from the point of view of URP since there is no CSN
      associated specifically with the attribute type.

      b) The removeAttribute alternative generates an attribute deletion
      record for the removed attribute type.

      c) The removeValues alternative generates a value deletion record
      for each of the removed values.

      d) The alterValues alternative first generates a value deletion
      record for each of the old values.  Secondly, a CSN is associated
      with each of the new values.

      e) The resetValues alternative generates a value deletion record
      for each value actually removed.

   The CSNs generated by a modify operation must be greater than the CSN
   of any pre-existing attribute value that is removed, greater than or
   equal to the CSN of any pre-existing attribute deletion record or
   value deletion record applying to an added attribute value, and
   greater than or equal to the CSN of the entry.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 8]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   A further constraint applies to the modification number component of
   the CSNs generated by a single modify operation.  The CSN generated
   for an added attribute value must be greater than or equal to the CSN
   on any applicable value deletion record or attribute deletion record
   already created by this same operation.  This constraint is satisfied
   if the same modification number is used in all the CSNs generated by
   a single modify operation, or if the CSNs generated as the sequence
   of modifications in the operation are applied in order use
   monotonically increasing modification numbers.  The modification
   numbers need not be consecutive in this case.

   Whenever a new value is added to the entry contents any value
   deletion record for the same entry, attribute type and attribute
   value may be discarded.

   5.1.4 Modify DN

   The LDAP Modify DN operation and DAP modifyDN operation are used to
   change the Relative Distinguished Name of an entry and/or to move an
   entry to a new superior in the DIT.  If the entry is moved to a new
   superior in the DIT then the CSN on the entry's superior reference is
   replaced.  If the entry's RDN is changed then the CSN on the entry's
   RDN is replaced.  A value deletion record is stored for each of the
   formally distinguished attribute values removed from the entry as a
   consequence of the deleteOldRDN (modifyDN) flag or deleteoldrdn
   (ModifyDNRequest) flag being set.

   If the CSN on the entry's superior reference is revised then the new
   value must be greater than the previous value.  If the CSN on the
   entry's RDN is revised then the new value must be greater than the
   previous value of the CSN on the RDN.  The CSNs for any value
   deletion records must be greater than the CSNs on the removed
   attribute values.

   5.2 Generating Replication Primitives

   Each time a replication session is invoked, the supplier DSA must
   generate and send replication primitives for updates known to the
   supplier but not yet known to the consumer DSA. The supplier uses the
   Update Vector of the consumer to determine what to send.
   Conceptually, the supplier scans all the glue and non-glue entries
   and deletion records covered by the replication agreement with the
   consumer and generates primitives where the CSNs held by the supplier
   are greater than the CSN for the corresponding identified replica in
   the consumer's Update Vector.

   A p-add-entry primitive is generated for each entry whose entry CSN
   is greater than the Update Vector CSN for the same replica.  The

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                  [Page 9]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   superior argument of the p-add-entry primitive contains the Unique
   Identifier of the immediate superior entry of the added entry.  The
   rdn argument of the p-add-entry primitive contains the Relative
   Distinguished Name of the created entry except that the Unique
   Identifier, if distinguished, is always omitted from the RDN.  The
   superior and rdn arguments are provided even if the CSN on the
   superior reference or the RDN are greater than the CSN on the entry.

   A p-add-attribute-value primitive is generated for each distinguished
   value that has a CSN greater than the Update Vector CSN for the same
   replica and greater than the CSN on the RDN of its entry, and for
   each non-distinguished value that has a CSN greater than the Update
   Vector CSN for the same replica.  The p-add-attribute-value primitive
   uses the CSN of the corresponding value.  There are no separate
   primitives generated for the distinguished values that have the same
   CSN as the CSN on their entry's RDN.

   If the CSN on an entry's RDN is greater than the Update Vector CSN
   for the same replica and greater than the CSN on the entry then a p-
   rename-entry primitive is generated.  The CSN for this primitive is
   the CSN on the entry's RDN and the rdn argument contains the Relative
   Distinguished Name of the entry.

   If the CSN on the entry's superior reference is greater than the
   Update Vector CSN for the same replica and greater than the CSN on
   the entry then a p-move-entry primitive is generated.  The CSN for
   this primitive is the CSN on the entry's superior reference and the
   superior argument of the contains the Unique Identifier of the
   immediate superior entry.

   A p-remove-attribute-value primitive is generated for each value
   deletion record having a CSN greater than the Update Vector CSN for
   the same replica.  The primitive uses exactly the same arguments as
   the value deletion record.

   A p-remove-attribute primitive is generated for each attribute
   deletion record having a CSN greater than the Update Vector CSN for
   the same replica.  The primitive uses exactly the same arguments as
   the attribute deletion record.

   A p-remove-entry primitive is generated for each entry deletion
   record having a CSN greater than the Update Vector CSN for the same
   replica.  The primitive uses exactly the same arguments as the entry
   deletion record.

   Rather than scanning the DIT, an implementation may choose to
   generate replication primitives as the user update requests are being
   processed and put these primitives into a replication log in

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 10]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   preparation for sending during the next replication session.  Any
   replication primitives generated from an operation in this way MUST
   be atomic with that operation. That is, either the operation
   succeeds, and primitives are added to the replication log, or the
   operation fails, and no primitives are added to the log.  The
   replication log may be filtered prior to sending to eliminate any
   primitives that are superseded by later primitives in the log, and
   any primitives having CSNs less than or equal to the relevant CSNs
   contained in a consumer DSA's Update Vector.

   In a log based implementation, the p-add-attribute-value primitive
   supersedes a p-remove-attribute-value primitive for the same entry,
   attribute type, attribute value and equal or older CSN. It supersedes
   another p-add-attribute-value primitive for the same entry, attribute
   type, attribute value and older CSN.

   The p-remove-attribute-value primitive supersedes a p-add-attribute-
   value primitive for the same entry, attribute type, attribute value
   and older CSN. It supersedes another p-remove-attribute-value
   primitive for the same entry, attribute type, attribute value and
   equal or older CSN.

   The p-remove-attribute primitive supersedes a p-add-attribute-value
   primitive for the same entry, attribute type and older CSN. It
   supersedes a p-remove-attribute-value or another p-remove-attribute
   primitive for the same entry, attribute type and equal or older CSN.

   The p-remove-entry primitive supersedes a p-add-attribute-value, p-
   add-entry, p-move-entry or p-rename-entry primitive for the same
   entry and older CSN. It supersedes a p-remove-attribute-value or p-
   remove-attribute or another p-remove-entry primitive for the same
   entry and equal or older CSN.

   The p-move-entry primitive supersedes another p-move-entry primitive
   for the same entry and older CSN.

   5.3 Processing Replication Primitives on the DIT

   Each replication primitive received from another DSA during a
   replication session is processed against the DIT.

   This section defines some commonly used sub-procedures and the
   algorithms for processing each of the primitives. Components of
   primitives, entries, attributes and values are referenced with the .
   operator. In particular the notation X.csn refers to the CSN of the
   directory object X. The operators, < and > when applied to CSNs, use
   the convention of CSNs becoming greater with the progression of time,
   so older CSNs are less than younger CSNs.  In the case where the CSN

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 11]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   for object X has been discarded through the purging mechanism, X.csn
   is assumed to have the least possible CSN value. In some of the
   procedures a CSN will be explicitly purged. An implementation may
   instead keep the CSN but set it to some value that is old enough for
   it to be eligible for purging (e.g. the least possible CSN value)
   without affecting the correctness of the procedures.

   For an entry, E, the notation E.rdn refers to the entry's Relative
   Distinguished Name, E.dn refers to the entry's Distinguished Name,
   and E.superior refers to the Unique Identifier of the entry's
   superior in the DIT.

   5.3.1 Saving Deletion Records

   It is necessary for a DSA to remember that some entry, attribute or
   attribute value has been deleted, for a period after the processing
   of the update operation or primitive causing the deletion. These
   records are called deletion records in the sections that follow and
   are of three kinds: entry deletion records, attribute deletion
   records and value deletion records.

   Value deletion records result from, and have the same parameters as,
   the p-remove-attribute-value primitive. The StoreValueDeletion
   procedure creates a value deletion record from the actual arguments
   and stores it for later access by the various primitive processing
   procedures. When an attribute value is added to an entry, a value
   deletion record for the same entry, attribute type and value, and
   with an older CSN, may be discarded.

   Attribute deletion records result from, and have the same parameters
   as, the p-remove-attribute primitive. The StoreAttributeDeletion
   procedure creates an attribute deletion record from the actual
   arguments and stores it for later access. When an attribute deletion
   record is stored any value deletion records for the same entry and
   attribute type, and with equal or older CSNs, may be discarded.

   Entry deletion records result from, and have the same parameters as,
   the p-remove-entry primitive. The StoreEntryDeletion procedure
   creates an entry deletion record from the actual arguments and stores
   it for later access. When an entry deletion record is stored any
   value deletion records and attribute deletion records for the same
   entry, and with equal or older CSNs, may be discarded.

   Since the deletion records have the same components as their
   associated remove primitives an implementation may choose to use the
   same internal structures for both.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 12]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   5.3.2 Glue Entries

   Entries are permitted to be re-added and this can lead to situations
   where applicable primitives are received in the period after an entry
   is removed but before the arrival of the notification of it being
   re-added.  In these cases a glue entry is created for the Unique
   Identifier to preserve relevant updates in the event that a p-add-
   entry primitive with an older CSN is later received for the same
   entry. A glue entry is upgraded to a normal entry by a subsequent p-
   add-entry primitive.

   A glue entry with no subordinate entries and containing only CSNs (on
   itself or its component parts) that are eligible to be purged
   (according to the Purge Vector in LDUP, or the Oldest Time in DMRP)
   may be removed. A glue entry is discarded if its contents are
   completely superseded by another p-remove-entry primitive.

   The CreateGlueEntry function is called when required to create a glue
   entry as a subordinate of Lost & Found. CreateGlueEntry takes a
   single parameter which is the Unique Identifier for the glue entry.
   The Unique Identifier also becomes the RDN for the glue entry. No
   CSNs are associated with the entry, the entry's superior reference,
   or the entry's name (or equivalently they are set to the least
   possible CSN value).

   5.3.3 Generating Change Sequence Numbers

   There are circumstances where conflicts arise in the processing of a
   replication primitive. It is necessary in these cases for the DSA
   processing the primitives to make corrective changes and emit
   additional primitives to ensure that all other DSAs reach the same
   consistent state. The GenerateNextCSN function is used to obtain a
   CSN for the corrective change.  An implementation that generates
   replication primitives as the user update requests are being
   processed and puts them into a replication log must take the
   additional step of creating a primitive to convey the corrective
   change to other DSAs. Implementations that generate primitives by
   scanning entries will pick up the corrective change automatically.

   As is the case for CSNs generated from DAP, DSP or LDAP operations, a
   CSN is typically generated from the current clock time of the DSA.
   The conditions imposed for the correct operation of the LDUP Update
   Vector must also be satisfied.

   GenerateNextCSN takes a single CSN parameter. In addition to all
   other conditions the CSN generated by the function must be greater
   than this parameter. Since the CSN parameter passed to
   GenerateNextCSN is always an actual CSN from some directory object

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 13]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   stored in the local DSA, an implementation may choose to allocate
   CSNs from an incrementing internal CSN register that is reset after
   each replication session to a value greater than the largest CSN seen
   so far, and thereby be safely able to disregard the parameter to
   GenerateNextCSN.

   5.3.4 Comparison of Attribute Values

   Values in primitives, in deletion records or in entries are compared
   using the equality matching rule for the associated attribute type
   where that type is permitted to be multi-valued. This means that two
   values that are considered equal may nonetheless have minor
   differences. For example, two commonName values may be equal, but use
   different letter case and have different numbers of leading or
   trailing spaces. Whenever a CSN for some value is refreshed the value
   is also refreshed using the exact value from the primitive so that
   all DSAs use exactly the same representation for the value.

   Compared values for a single-valued attribute type are all considered
   to be equal even though they may be significantly different according
   to that attribute type's equality matching rule. In effect the
   equality operator, '=', in the following procedures is
   unconditionally true when used to compare values of a single-valued
   attribute type.  Whenever a CSN for the value of a single-valued
   attribute is refreshed the value is also refreshed using the value
   from the primitive. One significant consequence is that an entry
   whose RDN contains a value of a single-valued attribute type is
   effectively renamed by a p-add-attribute-value primitive with a more
   recent value for the attribute type.

   A value in an entry that is replaced by the exact representation from
   a primitive retains its distinguished or non-distinguished status.
   This includes replaced values of single-valued attribute types.

   5.3.5 Entry Naming

   Independent changes at two or more DSAs can lead to the situation of
   two distinct entries having the same name. The procedure,
   CheckUniqueness(E, S, R), takes an entry and determines whether it is
   uniquely named.  If not, it disambiguates the names of the entries by
   adding the Unique Identifier of each of the conflicting entries to
   their own RDN.

   The procedure CheckUniqueness is called in each circumstance where
   the Relative Distinguished Name of an entry might conflict with
   another entry, either because the entry has been renamed or because
   it has been moved to a new superior.  An entry can be renamed
   directly by a p-rename-entry primitive, or as a side-effect of other

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 14]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   primitives causing changes to distinguished values.  While each move
   or rename of an entry potentially causes a conflict with some other
   entry already having the new Distinguished Name, it also potentially
   removes a previous conflict on the old Distinguished Name.  The
   enable the CheckUniqueness function to remove the Unique Identifier
   from an entry's RDN when it is no longer needed the old name for an
   entry is passed through the second and third parameters. The
   parameter, S, is the Unique Identifier of the old superior entry of
   E, and the parameter, R, is the old RDN of E. CheckUniqueness needs
   to ignore distinguished UniqueIdentifiers when comparing entry RDNs.
   The function BaseRDN(rdn) returns its argument minus any
   distinguished UniqueIdentifiers to support these comparisons.

   CheckUniqueness(E, S, R)
      {
      make E.uid non-distinguished
      IF there exists exactly one subordinate entry, C, of S
            where BaseRDN(C.rdn) = BaseRDN(R)
         make C.uid non-distinguished
      IF E.rdn is empty
         make C.uid distinguished
      ELSE IF there exists a subordinate entry, C, of E.superior
            where E <> C AND BaseRDN(C.rdn) = BaseRDN(E.rdn)
         {
         make C.uid distinguished
         make E.uid distinguished
         }
      }

   Because updates are performed in isolation at multiple DSAs in a
   multimaster configuration it is possible to encounter a situation
   where there is a request to delete a distinguished value in an entry.
   The recommended practice in these circumstances is to remove the
   distinguished value and call CheckUniqueness to correct any resulting
   name conflicts.  An implementation may instead reassert the existence
   of the distinguished value with a more recent CSN to avoid altering
   the entry's RDN. This option is only available to updatable replicas.
   Read-only replicas MUST remove the distinguished value.  The function
   ProtectDistinguished() returns true for an updatable part of the DIT
   in an DSA that implements this option, and false otherwise.  DSAs
   exercising this option must generate p-add-attribute-value primitive
   so that other DSAs are guaranteed to also reassert the distinguished
   value.  DSAs that implement the option will correctly interwork with
   servers that do not.

   The primitives p-add-entry and p-rename-entry contain common elements
   that are applied to the Relative Distinguished Name of an entry in
   the same way. This common processing is described in the RenameEntry

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 15]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   procedure. The parameters to this procedure are the entry, E, and the
   p-add-entry or p-rename-entry primitive specifying the new RDN. The
   procedure assumes that the entry does not currently contain any
   distinguished values. It is the responsibility of the calling
   procedure to first reset any pre-existing distinguished values to
   non-distinguished.  The procedure then resets the CSNs and sets the
   distinguished flags for existing values and adds distinguished values
   if necessary. The CSN for the entry's RDN, as distinct from the CSNs
   on each of the distinguished values making up the RDN, is also set.

   RenameEntry(E, P)
      {
      FOREACH AttributeTypeAndValue, N, in P.rdn
         IF there exists an attribute value, V, in E of type N.type
            where V = N.value
            {
            IF P.csn > V.csn
               {
               replace V with N.value if they are not identical
               V.csn := P.csn
               }
            make V distinguished
            }
         ELSE IF ProtectDistinguished()
            {
            V := N.value
            add V to E as a distinguished value
            V.csn := P.csn
            FOREACH attribute deletion record (uid, type, csn)
                  where (uid = P.uid AND type = N.type)
               IF csn > V.csn
                  V.csn := csn
            FOREACH value deletion record (uid, type, value, csn)
                  where (uid = P.uid AND type = N.type AND value = N.value)
               IF csn > V.csn
                  V.csn := csn
            V.csn := GenerateNextCSN(V.csn)
            }
         ELSE IF no attribute deletion record (uid, type, csn) exists
               where (uid = P.uid AND type = N.type AND csn > P.csn)
            AND no value deletion record (uid, type, value, csn) exists
               where (uid = P.uid AND type = N.type AND
                  value = N.value AND csn > P.csn)
            {
            V := N.value
            add V to E as a distinguished value
            V.csn := P.csn
            }

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 16]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

      E.rdn.csn := P.csn
      }

   5.3.6 Processing Add Attribute Value Primitive

   This section describes the algorithm for processing the p-add-
   attribute-value (P.uid, P.type, P.value, P.csn) primitive, which is
   responsible for adding a single attribute value.

      IF no value deletion record (uid, type, value, csn) exists where
            (uid = P.uid AND type = P.type
               AND value = P.value AND csn > P.csn)
         AND no attribute deletion record (uid, type, csn) exists where
            (uid = P.uid and type = P.type AND csn > P.csn)
         AND no entry deletion record (uid, csn) exists where
            (uid = P.uid AND csn > P.csn)
         {
         IF entry, E, with uid = P.uid does not exist
            E := CreateGlueEntry(P.uid)
         IF P.csn >= E.csn
            IF attribute value V, of type P.type
               where V = P.value exists in E
               {
               IF P.csn > V.csn
                  {
                  V.csn := P.csn
                  R := E.rdn
                  replace V with P.value if they are not identical
                  IF V is distinguished
                     AND P.type is a single-valued attribute type
                     CheckUniqueness(E, E.superior, R)
                  }
               }
            ELSE
               {
               V := P.value
               Add V to E as a non-distinguished attribute value
               V.csn := P.csn
               }
         }

   5.3.7 Processing Remove Attribute Value Primitive

   This section describes the algorithm for processing the p-remove-
   attribute-value (P.uid, P. type, P.value, P.csn) primitive, which is
   responsible for removing a single attribute value. A value that is

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 17]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   distinguished is tagged as distinguished-not-present rather than
   being immediately removed. Such a value will be physically removed
   when it becomes non-distinguished.

      IF no value deletion record (uid, type, value, csn) exists
            where (uid = P.uid AND type = P.type AND
               value = P.value AND csn >= P.csn)
         AND
            no attribute deletion record (uid, type, csn) exists
               where (uid = P.uid AND type = P.type AND csn >= P.csn)
         AND
            no entry deletion record (uid, csn) exists
               where (uid = P.uid AND csn >= P.csn)
         IF entry, E, with uid = P.uid exists
            {
            IF P.csn > E.csn
               IF attribute value, V, of P.type
                  where V = P.value, exists in E
                  {
                  IF P.csn > V.csn
                     IF V is distinguished
                        IF ProtectDistinguished()
                           V.csn := GenerateNextCSN(P.csn)
                        ELSE
                           {
                           R := E.rdn
                           remove value V
                           CheckUniqueness(E, E.superior, R)
                           StoreValueDeletion (P.uid, P.type, P.value, P.csn)
                           }
                     ELSE
                        {
                        remove value V
                        StoreValueDeletion (P.uid, P.type, P.value, P.csn)
                        }
                  }
               ELSE
                  StoreValueDeletion (P.uid, P.type, P.value, P.csn)
            }
         ELSE
            StoreValueDeletion (P.uid, P.type, P.value, P.csn)

   The presence of a younger deletion record for the entry, attribute or
   value provides a convenient test for whether the p-remove-attribute-
   value primitive needs to be processed at all. If the value exists to
   be removed then there cannot be a deletion record affecting it that
   has a younger CSN. If there is a younger deletion record than the
   primitive then there cannot be an older value to remove.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 18]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   5.3.8 Processing Remove Attribute Primitive

   This section describes the algorithm for processing the p-remove-
   attribute (P.uid, P.type, P.csn) primitive, which is responsible for
   removing all attribute values of P.type. Values that are
   distinguished are tagged as distinguished-not-present rather than
   being immediately removed. Such values will be physically removed
   when they become non-distinguished.

      IF no attribute deletion record (uid, type, csn) exists
            where (uid = P.uid AND type = P.type AND csn >= P.csn)
         AND no entry deletion record (uid, csn) exists where
            (uid = P.uid AND csn >= P.csn)
         IF entry, E, with uid = P.uid exists
            {
            IF P.csn > E.csn
               {
               FOREACH attribute value, V, of type P.type in E (if any)
                  IF P.csn > V.csn
                     IF V is distinguished
                        IF ProtectDistinguished()
                           V.csn := GenerateNextCSN(P.csn)
                        ELSE
                           {
                           R := E.rdn
                           remove value V
                           CheckUniqueness(E, E.superior, R)
                           }
                     ELSE
                        remove value V
               StoreAttributeDeletion (P.uid, P.type, P.csn)
               }
            }
         ELSE
            StoreAttributeDeletion (P.uid, P.type, P.csn)

   5.3.9 Processing Add Entry Primitive

   This section describes the algorithm for processing the p-add-entry
   (P.uid, P.superior, P.rdn, P.csn) primitive, which is responsible for
   adding an entry.  The CSN on an entry records the time of the latest
   p-add-entry primitive for the Unique Identifier.  In normal
   circumstances there will only ever be one p-add-entry primitive
   associated with an entry.  The entry CSN may be discarded when it
   becomes eligible to be purged according to the Purge Vector.

      IF no entry deletion record (uid, csn) exists where

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 19]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

           (uid = P.uid AND csn > P.csn)
         IF entry, E, with uid = P.uid exists
            {
            IF P.csn > E.csn
               {
               E.csn := P.csn
               FOREACH attribute value, V, in E
                  IF V.csn < P.csn
                     remove value V
               process P according to
                  p-rename-entry(P.uid, P.rdn, P.csn)
               process P according to
                  p-move-entry(P.uid, P.superior, P.csn)
               }
            }
         ELSE
            {
            create entry E
            E.csn := P.csn
            E.uid := P.uid
            E.uid.csn := P.csn
            IF an entry with uid = P.superior does not exist
               CreateGlueEntry(P.superior)
            E.superior = P.superior
            E.superior.csn := P.csn
            RenameEntry(E, P)
            CheckUniqueness(E, E.superior, E.rdn)
            }

   5.3.10 Processing Remove Entry Primitive

   This section describes the algorithm for processing the p-remove-
   entry (P.uid, P.csn) primitive, which is responsible for removing an
   entry.  If the target entry has attribute values with CSNs greater
   than the primitive's CSN, a superior reference with a greater CSN, or
   if it has any subordinate entries, it becomes a glue entry instead of
   being removed.  Unless it has a CSN for its superior reference that
   is greater than the CSN of the p-remove-entry it is also moved to
   Lost & Found.

      IF no entry deletion record (uid, csn) exists
            where (uid = P.uid AND csn >= P.csn)
         IF entry, E, with uid = P.uid exists
            {
            IF P.csn > E.csn
               {
               IF E.superior.csn >= P.csn

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 20]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

                  OR any value, V, with csn >= P.csn exists
                  OR E has subordinates
                  {
                  R := E.rdn
                  S := E.superior
                  make E a glue entry
                  purge E.csn
                  IF E.superior.csn < P.csn
                     {
                     E.superior := LOST_AND_FOUND
                     purge E.superior.csn
                     }
                  IF E.rdn.csn < P.csn
                     purge E.rdn.csn
                  FOREACH attribute value, V, in E
                     IF V.csn < P.csn
                        remove value V
                  CheckUniqueness(E, S, R)
                  }
               ELSE
                  remove entry E
               StoreEntryDeletion (P.uid, P.csn)
               }
            }
         ELSE
            StoreEntryDeletion (P.uid, P.csn)

   5.3.11 Processing Move Entry Primitive

   This section describes the algorithm for processing the p-move-entry
   (P.uid, P.superior,  P.csn) primitive, which is responsible for
   moving an entry. If the new superior specified by the primitive does
   not exist or is a direct or indirect subordinate of the entry being
   moved then the entry is moved to Lost & Found instead.

      IF no entry deletion record (uid, csn) exists
            where (uid = P.uid AND csn > P.csn)
         {
         IF entry, E, with uid = P.uid does not exist
            E := CreateGlueEntry(P.uid)
         IF P.csn > E.superior.csn
            {
            R := E.rdn
            O := E.superior
            IF entry, S, with uid = P.superior does not exist
               S := CreateGlueEntry(P.superior)
            IF S is not in the subtree of E

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 21]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

               {
               E.superior := P.superior
               E.superior.csn = P.csn
               }
            ELSE
               {
               E.superior := LOST_AND_FOUND;
               E.superior.csn := GenerateNextCSN(P.csn)
               }
            CheckUniqueness(E, O, R)
            }
         }

   5.3.12 Processing Rename Entry Primitive

   This section describes the algorithm for processing the p-rename-
   entry (P.uid, P.rdn, P.csn) primitive, which changes the Relative
   Distinguished Name of an entry.  A p-rename-entry primitive that is
   older than current name of an entry is not simply ignored since it
   may contain attribute values that would have been added to the entry
   had the primitives arrived in CSN order.  These extra values would
   now be non-distinguished.

      IF no entry deletion record (uid, csn) exists
         where (uid = P.uid AND csn >= P.csn)
         {
         IF entry, E, with uid = P.uid does not exist
            E := CreateGlueEntry(P.uid)
         IF P.csn > E.rdn.csn
            {
            R := E.rdn
            FOREACH distinguished attribute value, V, in entry E
               make V non-distinguished
            RenameEntry(E, P)
            CheckUniqueness(E, E.superior, R)
            }
         ELSE
            FOREACH AttributeTypeAndValue, N, in P.rdn
               {
               IF there exists an attribute value, V, in E of type
                     N.type AND V = N.value
                  {
                  IF P.csn > V.csn
                     {
                     replace V with N.value if they are not identical
                     V.csn := P.csn
                     }

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 22]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

                  }
               ELSE
                  {
                  IF no value deletion record (uid, type, value, csn)
                        exists where (uid = P.uid AND type = N.type AND
                        value = N.value AND csn > P.csn)
                     AND
                        no attribute deletion record (uid, type, csn)
                        exists where (uid = P.uid AND type = N.type AND
                        csn > P.csn)
                     {
                     V := N.value
                     Add V to E
                     V.csn := P.csn
                     }
                  }
               }
         }

   6. Security Considerations

   [To be supplied]

   7. Acknowledgements

   The authors would like to thank Suellen Faulks, Tony Robertson and
   Mark Ennis from Telstra Research Laboratories who contributed to the
   design and verification of the procedures described in this document.

   The authors would also like to thank the members of the LDUP
   architecture group for their input into the refinement of the design.

   8. References

   [LDUP Model] - E. Reed, "LDUP Replication Architecture", Internet
   Draft, draft-merrells-ldup-model-01.txt, November 1998.

   [BCP-11] - R. Hovey, S. Bradner, "The Organizations Involved in the
   IETF Standards Process", BCP 11, RFC 2028, October 1996.

   9. Intellectual Property Notice

   The IETF takes no position regarding the validity or scope of any
   intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 23]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   pertain to the implementation or use of the technology described in
   this document or the extent to which any license under such rights
   might or might not be available; neither does it represent that it
   has made any effort to identify any such rights.  Information on the
   IETF's procedures with respect to rights in standards-track and
   standards-related documentation can be found in BCP-11. [BCP-11]
   Copies of claims of rights made available for publication and any
   assurances of licenses to be made available, or the result of an
   attempt made to obtain a general license or permission for the use of
   such proprietary rights by implementors or users of this
   specification can be obtained from the IETF Secretariat.

   The IETF invites any interested party to bring to its attention any
   copyrights, patents or patent applications, or other proprietary
   rights which may cover technology that may be required to practice
   this standard.  Please address the information to the IETF Executive
   Director.

   10. Copyright Notice

      Copyright (C) The Internet Society (1999). All Rights Reserved.

   This document and translations of it may be copied and furnished to
   others, and derivative works that comment on or otherwise explain it
   or assist in its implementation may be prepared, copied, published
   and distributed, in whole or in part, without restriction of any
   kind, provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
   included on all such copies and derivative works.  However, this
   document itself may not be modified in any way, such as by removing
   the copyright notice or references to the Internet Society or other
   Internet organizations, except as needed for the purpose of
   developing Internet standards in which case the procedures for
   copyrights defined in the Internet Standards process must be
   followed, or as required to translate it into languages other than
   English.

   The limited permissions granted above are perpetual and will not be
   revoked by the Internet Society or its successors or assigns.

   This document and the information contained herein is provided on an
   "AS IS" basis and THE INTERNET SOCIETY AND THE INTERNET ENGINEERING
   TASK FORCE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING
   BUT NOT LIMITED TO ANY WARRANTY THAT THE USE OF THE INFORMATION
   HEREIN WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY RIGHTS OR ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
   MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 24]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   11. Authors' Address

   Steven Legg
   Telstra Research Laboratories
   770 Blackburn Road
   Clayton, Victoria 3168
   AUSTRALIA

   Phone: +61 3 9253 6771
     Fax: +61 3 9253 6485
   EMail: [email-masked]

   Alison Payne
   PricewaterhouseCoopers
   St Jakobs Strasse 25
   CH-4002 Basel
   SWITZERLAND

   Phone: +41-79-458 4177
   EMail: [email-masked]

   12. Appendix A - Changes From Previous Drafts

   12.1 Changes in Draft 01

   Some of the terminology has been changed to better align with the
   terminology used in the LDUP architecture draft.

   Descriptions on the usage of CSNs have been revised to account for
   the extra modification number component.

   The semantics of re-added entries has been simplified so that only
   changes after the latest re-add are preserved instead of all those
   after the earliest re-add. This eliminates the need for Addition CSNs
   in the entry.  It is anticipated that new replication primitives will
   be introduced to manage entries that come and go from partial
   replicas instead of using p-add-entry and p-remove-entry.

   Orphaned entries are no longer moved directly to Lost & Found.
   Instead a glue entry is created in Lost & Found for the missing
   superior and the orphaned entry becomes a subordinate of that. This
   change eliminates the need for explicit propagated primitives for
   moving orphaned entries to Lost & Found.

   Glue entries have also been used as the mechanism for saving
   primitives.  There are no longer any references to saved primitives
   though the functionality is still present.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 25]

INTERNET-DRAFT   LDUP Update Reconciliation Procedures  October 22, 1999

   The procedures for processing received replication primitives have
   been rearranged to follow a more consistent pattern where the
   presence of deletion records is tested first.

   12.2 Changes in Draft 02

   Multimaster replication has been dropped as a work item for the next
   edition of X.500 so references to the proposed X.500 multimaster
   replication protocol have been removed.

   The treatment of distinguished values has been simplified. Previously
   an attempt to remove a distinguished value caused the value to be
   tagged distinguished-not-present. Now the distinguished value is
   removed, and if necessary, the Unique Identifier is made
   distinguished to avoid an empty RDN. Optionally, the value to be
   removed can be reasserted by emitting an explicit p-add-attribute-
   value primitive.

   The current draft is more implementation neutral. A replication log
   no longer figures prominently in the specification.  The previous
   descriptions had the user updates generating replication primitives,
   which in turn were used to determine the CSNs and deletion records.
   The new descriptions have user updates generating CSNs and deletion
   records and the primitives are subsequently generated from them.

   13. Appendix B - Open Issues

   The precise location of the Lost & Found entry has not yet been
   decided.

   Extensions to the algorithms to properly deal with partial replicas
   are still to be decided.

   The draft needs some editing to use MAY, MUST, etc, in the proper
   way.

Legg & Payne             Expires 22 April 2000                 [Page 26]