Subject: [ledbat] New draft for review: draft-mayutan-ledbat-congestionarchitecture-00.txt

From: "Mayutan A." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 11:55:20 +0100

We have submitted a new draft to the LEDBAT WG and are looking forward to
all your comments.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mayutan-ledbat-congestionarchitecture-00

The basic idea is to have an architecture framework, to enable the
standardization of the various mechanisms of a network friendly congestion
control such as available bandwidth estimation, flow control and congestion
detection separately. This could result in pluggable components that could
be used in the overall congestion control protocol/s.

Abstract:

   The Low Extra Delay Background Transport (LEDBAT) working group is
   considering protocols for an alternative congestion control protocol
   that enables a delay-insensitive networking application to minimize
   the extra queueing delay it causes to other applications because of
   additional queueing at the bottleneck, when these connections
   carrying traffic for such applications attempt to use the available
   bandwidth.

   This document proposes an architectural framework for LEDBAT
   congestion control mechanisms, based on existing work on congestion
   control protocols and the requirements of the LEDBAT working group.
   The architectural framework consists of a LEDBAT-congestion control
   (LEDBAT-CC) suite that provides flexibility in utilizing different
   components for providing congestion control for transport connections
   carrying delay-insensitive traffic.  The LEDBAT-CC suite of protocols
   is envisioned to support the multiple alternative mechanisms for
   bandwidth estimation, congestion detection and indication and end-
   system flow control to comprise a network friendly congestion
   avoidance protocol.

   This document is inspired by the need to standardize the various
   components that constitute the network friendly congestion control
   protocol to avoid having to individually standardize a multitude of
   distinct and monolithic solutions.

Feedback is welcome,
Mayutan Arumaithurai