Subject: RE: [lemonade] URLAUTH 01 and UIDVALIDITY

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 08:14:09 -0500

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 [email-masked] wrote:
> > If by chance the granting server invalidates the UIDVALIDITY after 
> > generating the URL how does the resolving (same as the 
> granting) server 
> > know if the UID is valid unless there is a UIDVALIDITY 
> value? Maybe the 
> > server would do an implicit RESETKEY when it knew it had 
> invalidated the 
> > UIDVALIDITY.
> 
> Yes, I think that most (if not all) scenarios that involve a server 
> changing UIDVALIDITY would also reset the keys.

Should there be a clarifying paragraph for this?

Mike

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:45:34 -0700 (PDT)

> Should there be a clarifying paragraph for this?

I don't think that it is necessary.  Clearly the implications of not 
having a UIDVALIDITY in the URL must be considered.

UIDVALIDITY doesn't change for specious reasons.  Either the mail does not 
support the concept; or the mailbox is actually an entirely different 
mailbox that has the same name as a previous mailbox which was deleted; or 
something traumatic (and unexpected) happened that resulted in the loss 
and reconstruction of mailbox metadata.  It's highly unlikely in any of 
these instances that keys metadata would survive.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.