Subject: [lemonade] Media Conversion

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:18:08 -0400

At IETF 60, we had a discussion on whether CHANNEL (1) still existed and, if
so, (2) can do media conversion.

A summary of the discussion:

Content adaptation could be added to IMAP URL spec.  Is it a client request
or server feature?  Most don't like idea of server doing it automatically
(think OPES).

What do we mean by media conversion?  Streaming conversion (e.g., codecs) or
document conversion (e.g., MS Word to HTML)?

Consensus to work on streaming conversion first, and then address document
conversion.

The floor is open for discussion.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:31:19 -0500

Vote yes that we need this.

Media conversion should be requested by the client since the client
knows it's capabilities (eg. Just downloaded PDF viewer and don't need
to convert the doc).

There is a question of how the IMAP client interacts with the onboard
browser and whether the client can even launch the browser and return to
the IMAP client after viewing of the HTML doc is done.  I think this is
an implementation detail and may not need to be addressed by Lemonade.

Corby

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of ext Eric Burger
> Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 12:18 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [lemonade] Media Conversion
> 
> At IETF 60, we had a discussion on whether CHANNEL (1) still existed
and,
> if
> What do we mean by media conversion?  Streaming conversion (e.g.,
codecs)
> or