Subject: [lemonade] future delivery and quotas

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:34:39 -0600

The future delivery specification does have the security consideration warning 
about filling up the MSA's queue space and suggests quota as a solution.  This 
is good.

Unfortunately, it does not tell what to do when a message can't be submitted 
for future delivery because the MSA storage for the submitting user would be 
over quota.  The X.2.2 Mailbox full status response from RFC 3463 is not 
appropriate because it refers to the recipient's mailbox.  We need a new 
response code to indicate that the sender's future delivery storage quota has 
been exceeded.

I suggest the future delivery spec update RFC 3463 with a new code (similar to 
the way BURL updates RFC 3463):
  X.7.9  Future Submission Quota Exceeded

This response code means future delivery is not permitted because the message 
size exceeds the submitting user's future delivery quota.  This further implies 
the client may be able to successfully send the message if future delivery is 
not used.

To simplify user management, it's my belief that the user's future delivery 
quota and their submission quota should be the same quota.  Thus deleting mail 
from the user's IMAP store may permit that user to submit mail for future 
delivery.  I don't believe it's necessary or desirable to communicate this.

The document should also have an informative reference to RFC 3885 as a way to 
confirm that a specific message is still queued for future delivery.

                - Chris

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:31:32 -0500

Sound reasonable to me.  Does this open another DoS attack: fill both
mailbox and future delivery queue?

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
> Behalf Of Chris Newman
> Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 6:35 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: [lemonade] future delivery and quotas
> 
>