Subject: [lemonade] URLs in CATENATE

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:27:20 -0600

My sense of the room from the LEMONADE session yesterday was that:

1. This version should require relative IMAP URLs and that absolute 
IMAP URLs (or any other kind of URL) would need an extension.

2. The base URL for evaluation of relative URLs should change to 
include the current mailbox in the selected state.

3. No "AUTH=" should be in the URL.

Assuming that is the desire of the list, how's this for replacement text:

    In the extended APPEND command, the string following "URL" is an IMAP
    URL [2] and is interpreted according to the rules of [2].  This
    document only describes the behavior of the command using IMAP URLs
    which refer to specific messages or message parts on the current IMAP
    server.  Because of that, only relative IMAP URLs (i.e., IMAP URLs
    which have no scheme or <iserver>) which refer to messages or parts
    of messages are used.  For evaluation of the relative URL, the base
    URL is considered "imap://user@server/", where "user" is the user
    name of the currently authenticated user, and "server" is the domain
    name of the current server.  When in the selected state, the base URL
    is considered "imap://user@server/mailbox", where "mailbox" is the
    encoded name of the currently selected mailbox.  Additionally, since
    the APPEND command is valid in the authenticated state of an IMAP
    session, no further LOGIN or AUTHENTICATE command is performed for
    URLs specified in the extended APPEND command, and therefore no
    ";AUTH=" string is used in the URL.

       Note: Use of an absolute IMAP URL or any URL that refers to
       anything other than a message or message part on the current IMAP
       server is outside of the scope of this document, would require an
       extension to this specification, and a server implementing only
       this specification would return NO to such a request.

pr
-- 
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 09:22:36 -0500

Pete Resnick wrote:

> 1. This version should require relative IMAP URLs and that absolute IMAP 
> URLs (or any other kind of URL) would need an extension.
> 
> 2. The base URL for evaluation of relative URLs should change to include 
> the current mailbox in the selected state.
> 

Maybe I'm missing something or just being thick, but doesn't this text 
imply that when in selected state, a message from a different mailbox on 
the same server can't be referenced?

The only difference that I would expect between legal URLs in 
authenticated and selected state is that in selected state, the mailbox 
name is optional if referring to a message in the currently selected 
mailbox:

/;UID=<nnn>

Otherwise, URLS of the following form are always allowed:

<mailbox>/;UID=<nnn>

(optionally using UIDVALIDITY)

-- 
Kenneth Murchison     Oceana Matrix Ltd.
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127
--PGP Public Key--    http://www.oceana.com/~ken/ksm.pgp

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 08:38:58 -0600

On 3/11/05 at 9:22 AM -0500, Ken Murchison wrote:

>Maybe I'm missing something or just being thick, but doesn't this 
>text imply that when in selected state, a message from a different 
>mailbox on the same server can't be referenced?

No. If you start the relative URL with a "/<mailbox>", you can refer 
to any other mailbox.

>authenticated and selected state is that in selected state, the 
>mailbox name is optional if referring to a message in the currently 
>selected mailbox:
>
>/;UID=<nnn>
>

Or you could refer to a mailbox *in* the currently selected mailbox 
by skipping the leading "/".

pr
QUALCOMM Incorporated