Subject: RE: [lemonade] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-lemonade-futuredelivery-02.t xt

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 19:56:12 -0400

Examples, please

Original Message From: Mark Crispin
[snip]

Actually, I've come to believe that we need both.  I can think of usage 
scenarios when I want to hold delivery for 30 minutes, and usage
scenarios 
when I want to hold delivery until after such-and-such time.
[snip]

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 18:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 18 Sep 2005, Eric Burger wrote:
> > scenarios when I want to hold delivery until after such-and-such time.

I often queue messages that I want to deliver after some time in the 
future.  Most recently, when I was gone for a month of vacation without 
much likelihood of Internet access, I queued several messages to be 
delivered during the time that I was gone.  This included everything from 
birthday greetings to reminder messages.  Some of these were sent as 
regular email, others as SMS via email-to-SMS gateways.

Don't forget, not everybody uses a calendaring application.  Family 
members, in particular *youthful* family members, tend to be quite email 
savvy yet can not be relied upon to check a calendar.

In 35 years, I've used no less than *three* pre-UNIX operating system 
environments which had this feature (we called it "reminders").  I run one 
of these operating systems to this day, albeit under emulation.  One of 
its important production tasks is to support my delayed deliveries.  [I 
also use the UNIX calendar program and Outlook.  I use the appropriate 
tool for the task.  Anyone who claims that one is always "best" probably 
also uses a screwdriver as chisel.]

Those systems, by the way, used date-time, never delta-time.  This was 
understood to be "local time"; and since there was no client/server split 
this was not a problem.

Although the arguments for delta-time in Lemonade *are* compelling, they 
are undermined by the observation that most servers are likely to convert 
delta-time into a date-time for queuing rather than have the delta-time 
countdown in real-time.

Consider what has to be done to queue a message to be delivered after 8AM 
on 14-Nov-2005 if you only have delta time.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to eat for lunch.
Liberty is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

---

From: Antony Bowesman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 08:33:46 +0300

> Examples, please
As well as Mark's examples, I've used "Defer-until the morning when a colleague
gets back from holiday", "defer-until 9pm my time, when I know my server is
idle, for certain mail".

There may be defer-for examples, but as our mail server offers "defer-until", I
have always made use of the feature with that mindset.

Antony

---

From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 22:46:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Antony Bowesman wrote:
> As well as Mark's examples, I've used "Defer-until the morning when a 
> colleague gets back from holiday", "defer-until 9pm my time, when I know 
> my server is idle, for certain mail".

I've also done both of these.

> There may be defer-for examples, but as our mail server offers 
> "defer-until", I have always made use of the feature with that mindset.

Interesting observation, and one that I agree with.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc