Subject: [lemonade] IMAP URLFETCH and binary

From: Neil Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:25:21 +0100

All,

I'm working on a draft for streaming multimedia to IMAP clients,  
which is simply a profile for using the existing IMAP URLAUTH draft  
and the Netann streaming media service (RFC4240).

As part of this, the IMAP client will send URLAUTH URL to the media  
server, which the media server will then retrieve using the URLFETCH  
command. The problem is that the URLFETCH command doesn't seem to  
have a way to fetch content without a content-transfer-encoding, and  
RFC4240 doesn't have a mechanism for passing the c-t-e.

So my question is, can you fetch binary content (c.f. BINARY command)  
using URLFETCH? If the answer is, "you can't", then what do people  
think about adding a URLBINARY command to the URLAUTH draft?

--
Neil Cook
Openwave
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:41:29 +0200

I always assumed that I'd get binary content. Don't I?

After all, if a web browser issues a GET for the URL, It expects the 
result to be real HTML, not an encoded document containing mangled 
links like this:
<a href=3D=22http://www.open=
wave.com=22>Openwave</a>

Arnt

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:43:06 +0100

> I always assumed that I'd get binary content. Don't I?
No, you get the encoded body section.

> After all, if a web browser issues a GET for the URL, It expects 
> the result to be real HTML, not an encoded document containing 
> mangled links like this:
Yes, but URLFETCH is really designed to be a hook for submission 
servers to aid in assembling the message, so it's really all part of 
the textual RFC2822 message, rather than content in and of itself.

You'd have to do a different extension - a URLBINARY - to get decoded 
content.

Dave.
-- 
           You see things; and you say "Why?"
   But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?"
    - George Bernard Shaw

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 14:53:29 +0100

> You'd have to do a different extension - a URLBINARY - to get decoded 

Or extend IMAP URLs to signal that the fetched content is to be returned 
as binary.