Subject: [lemonade] Message priority

From: "Ben Last" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:17:23 +0100

Dear Lemonaders

As far as I can tell, the subject of messge priority (as expressed via
the non-RFC2822 X-Priority message header) hasn't been discussed in the
context of Lemonade, except in Stephane Maes's drafts in which he
mentions vfolders filtering on priority.

Also, as far as I know, there is no IMAP way in which the message
priority is exposed to the client, unless the client retrieves the raw
RFC2822 message text (or the header part) and parses it.

We have a need to show message priority in our client, but we don't want
to have to download the raw message body (we tend to just download the
text/plain message part to minimize data transfer) or the header just to
extract one field which will be either missing or set to normal priority
for 95% (or more) of messages (based on a test data set).

So: is anyone aware of proposals to provide access to this field?  If
not, is anyone interesting in working on a proposal for it?

Best regards
ben

Ben Last
EMCC Software Ltd

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 12:27:21 +0200

Ben Last writes:
> priority is exposed to the client, unless the client retrieves the 
> raw RFC2822 message text (or the header part) and parses it.

That's not quite true.

Optional first step: Find the messages with such a field

   a uid search header priority ""

Then fetch just that field:

   b uid fetch 123 body.peek[header.fields (priority)]".

(for 123, read 1:* or the UIDs returned by the search.)

Arnt

---

From: Philip Guenther <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 04:31:03 -0600

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006, Ben Last wrote:
...
> RFC2822 message text (or the header part) and parses it.

While the X-Priority header field has no special handling in IMAP, clients 
can do substring searches against the field using the HEADER SEARCH 
critierion and can retrieve the value of the field using the 
BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (...)] FETCH item...just like any other random header 
field.

> for 95% (or more) of messages (based on a test data set).

Then use BODY[HEADER.FIELDS (x-priority)] with FETCH/UID FETCH and let the 
server do the extraction for you.

> not, is anyone interesting in working on a proposal for it?

What precise need is not met by the existing functionality in IMAP4rev1?

Philip Guenther