Subject: RE: Re: [lemonade]About "Avoiding Duplicates"

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 14:36:20 GMT

Perhaps in cities, connectivity will eventually be ubiquitous and continuously reliable. However, I think it'll be a long time before software for mobile devices can rely on that. We see plenty of clients who try a mobile online solution and then come and talk to us about a thicker client.
As long as Lemonade profiles allow either mode of operations, that'll suit me :)
Incidentally, this email composed and sent from a mobile phone via a client that's close to Lemonade compliant...
regards
ben

--- Original message ---
From: "Mark Crispin" <[email-masked]>
To: "Randall Gellens" <[email-masked]>
Sent on: 00:56 Wed 30th Aug 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Randall Gellens wrote:
> Probably most clients today are 
> designed to be used off-line.  So the client maintains a cache of messages in 
> mailboxes.

I agree that this is the case today.  I hope that it is not always the 
case.

In particular, as connectivity continues to be increasingly faster, more 
ubiquitous, and less costly, I hope to see more online IMAP clients (which 
do not keep state on the client).

This includes mobile clients.  Most mobile client web browsers these days 
are online.  I hope to see this trend occur with message browsers.  Of 
course, some further advances are necessary, but I think (hope!) that 
they're coming.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:18:36 +0200

Seconded!

I live in Munich, where city power is available 99.99931% of the time, 
there's 253 .de domains per 1000 inhabitants and BMW is the 
biggest-selling car brand. If connectivity will be ubiquitous anywhere, 
then here. But today, if I take the elevator down to the servers, my 
mobile phone won't work in the elevator and it won't work in the server 
room. I suppose I should be grateful that it works in my office, 
because it didn't in my previous office.

I won't even hope for ubiquitous IP until GSM is.

Arnt