Subject: FW: [lemonade] Message priority

From: "Ben Last" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:28:33 +0100

>From: Abhijit Menon-Sen [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>Sent: 25 August 2006 11:22
>FETCH n BODY[header.fields (X-Priority)]?

Many thanks to Abhijit Menon-Sen for pointing this out, and my abject
humiliation may be seen by all.  But that's what a learning curve looks
like :)

And Arnt's solution is even nicer.

Regards
Ben

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

---

From: "Vaudreuil, Greg M (Greg)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:36:49 -0500

I had written a proposal to the Lemonade group on a closely related topic.  draft-ietf-lemonade-msg-context-00.txt.  The draft made it easy to view (show icon), sort, and retrieve based on message context by defining flag conventions.

Also status-counters addressed a related issue in terms of counting messages with a given context, priority, or seen status:  draft-neystadt-imap-status-counters-01.txt

The disposition was that the extensions were unnecessary since the IMAP client could view, search and fetch on the Importance (and/or X-priority) headers without downloading the full header block.  Can anyone re-itterate the details?  The discussion was "live" rather than on the list.

Greg V.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben Last [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, August 25, 2006 6:17 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [lemonade] Message priority

Dear Lemonaders

As far as I can tell, the subject of messge priority (as expressed via
the non-RFC2822 X-Priority message header) hasn't been discussed in the
context of Lemonade, except in Stephane Maes's drafts in which he
mentions vfolders filtering on priority.

Also, as far as I know, there is no IMAP way in which the message
priority is exposed to the client, unless the client retrieves the raw
RFC2822 message text (or the header part) and parses it.

We have a need to show message priority in our client, but we don't want
to have to download the raw message body (we tend to just download the
text/plain message part to minimize data transfer) or the header just to
extract one field which will be either missing or set to normal priority
for 95% (or more) of messages (based on a test data set).

So: is anyone aware of proposals to provide access to this field?  If
not, is anyone interesting in working on a proposal for it?

Best regards
ben

Ben Last
EMCC Software Ltd

---

From: Randall Gellens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:59:18 -0700

As an aside, note that 'Importance' is the politically-correct 
version of 'x-priority'.  Many clients today recognize both; some 
generate one, some both.
-- 
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only
-------------- Randomly-selected tag: ---------------
Frankly, facts have nothing to do with what people's opinions are
and will be.
    --Jon Bond, president Bond + Partners (an ad agency), talking
    about political commercials