Subject: [lemonade] Chair Decision on Notifications

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 13:55:11 -0400

Notification throttling is extremely complex and is a very hard problem.
For example, we would urge people to review the throttling work that has
been done in the SIP and SIPPING work groups on throttling NOTIFY messages
(a.k.a. notifications).  Everything (and more) that we have been discussing,
including number of bytes transferred per unit time, number of messages,
consolidation of messages, number of messages sent per unit time, number of
messages * bytes sent per unit time, schedules for different throttling
parameters, throttling based on network throughput, throttling based on
device capability, etc., etc., etc.

We would offer that notification throttling is EXPLICITLY outside our
charter at this time.

AFTER we finish the bulk of our deliverables, we can explore if we can
safely punt the topic (i.e., because we are using SIP NOTIFY, which has its
own throttling mechanism), we need to recharter, or we need to form a new
work group (e.g., a NOTIFICATIONS work group).

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade

sjE+EduxFQAWy5cvmw==
Subject: [lemonade] Chair Decision on Notifications

Notification throttling is extremely complex and is a very hard problem.
For example, we would urge people to review the throttling work that has
been done in the SIP and SIPPING work groups on throttling NOTIFY messages
(a.k.a. notifications).  Everything (and more) that we have been discussing,
including number of bytes transferred per unit time, number of messages,
consolidation of messages, number of messages sent per unit time, number of
messages * bytes sent per unit time, schedules for different throttling
parameters, throttling based on network throughput, throttling based on
device capability, etc., etc., etc.

We would offer that notification throttling is EXPLICITLY outside our
charter at this time.

AFTER we finish the bulk of our deliverables, we can explore if we can
safely punt the topic (i.e., because we are using SIP NOTIFY, which has its
own throttling mechanism), we need to recharter, or we need to form a new
work group (e.g., a NOTIFICATIONS work group).

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade