Subject: [lemonade] ManageSieve server location discovery

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:29:44 +0100

Ned Freed wrote:

>> Reminds me of something else. I've mentioned it before but I want to
>> harp on this.
>
>> Lemonade now tells clients to connect to three separate servers (at
>> various times), but offers no advice on how to locate those servers.
>> One person (Eric? I forget) thought it was a provisioning issue: The
>> client would be correctly configured by the time the user receives it.
>
>> I disagree. I think people must be expected to read their mail with
>> several devices (at least two — a mobile and something else), and to
>> replace these devices occasionally. One of these 2+ devices will often
>> be supplied by the service provider, but IMNSHO not all, not even most.
>
> +1.
>
>> So I think profile-bis ought to say something like "A lemonade client
>> can locate its Submission, IMAP and Managesieve servers by taking the
>> domain of the user's email address, prefixing it with
>> _submission._tcp., _imap._tcp. and _managesieve._tcp., and doing SRV
>> DNS lookups for the resulting labels. Lemonade server operators should
>> set up suitable SRV records."
>
> Well, I don't tnink this properly belongs in a profile specification, but
> I'm definitely in favor of specifying it somewhere. in the specific
> case of managesieve, where we're talking about an entirely new protocol,
> I'd reallly like to see this done in the base specification. This
> should probably be discussed on the Sieve WG list though.

As per various discussions during the Dublin IETF, I've updated the 
ManageSieve protocol to require clients to use SRV records.

_______________________________________________
lemonade mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lemonade
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/lemonade