Subject: [lp-wan] Updated charter

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 13:04:23 +0000

Dear all:

The WG forming BoF was accepted, Suresh will be our A-D and Alex and I will serve as chair. 

The IESG suggested that the name 6LPWA may not be appropriate and for the time being we'll live with LPWAN.

Below is the updated charter, that now reflects the 4 technologies that we will be working with. Quick questions there:

- We indicated LoRa for the technology; should I make it LoRaWAN?
- Same goes for Wi-SUN. Should we indicate 802.15.4g in general?

Take care,

Pascal and Alex

--------------------------------------------

LPWAN: "IPv6 over Low-Power Wide-Area networks".

Background/Introduction:
------------------------

A new generation of wireless technologies has emerged under the generic name of
Low-Power Wide-Area (LPWA), with a number of common characteristics which make
these technologies unique and disruptive for Internet of Things applications. 

Those common traits include an optimized radio modulation, a typical deployment
as a simple star topology, frame sizes in the order of tens of bytes transmitted
a few times per day at ultra-low speeds and sometimes variable MTUs, and, though
downstream may be supported, a mostly upstream transmission pattern that allows
the devices to spend most of their time in low-energy deep-sleep mode.

This enables a range of several kilometers and a long battery lifetime, possibly
ten years operating on a single coin-cell. This also enables simple and scalable
deployments with low-cost devices and thin infrastructures.

Those benefits come at a price: the MAC-layer formats are optimized and specific
to each individual technology. There is no network layer and the application is
often hard wired to the MAC, leading to siloed deployments that must be managed,
secured and operated individually. Migrating from one LPWA technology to another
implies rebuilding the whole chain.

To unleash the full power of LPWA technologies and their ecosystems, there is a
need to couple them with other ecosystems that will guarantee the inter-working
by introducing a network layer, and enable common components for management and
security, as well as shared application profiles. The IETF can contribute by
providing IPv6 connectivity, and propose technologies to secure the operations
and manage the devices and their gateways.

Description of Working Group:
-----------------------------

The Working Group will focus on enabling IPv6 connectivity over the following
selection of Low-Power Wide-Area technologies: SIGFOX, LoRa, WI-SUN and NB-IOT.

These technologies present similar characteristics of rare and widely unbalanced
over-the-air transmissions, with little capability to alter the frame formats to
accommodate this work, which makes it so that existing IETF work (6lo) cannot be
trivially applied.

The Working Group will leverage cross-participation with the associated set of
stakeholders to ensure that the work taking place corresponds to real demands
and that the proposed solutions are indeed applicable. 

The group will produce informational work, for IETF consumption, describing LPWA
technologies and their needs, best practice documents on using IETF technologies
in LPWA networks, and new standard work to optimize IPv6-based communications to
the end device, down to the remote-I/O model where the device is not fully aware
of the whole stack.

The WG will interface with other appropriate groups in the IETF Internet Area,
Operations and Management Area, and Security Area.

Work Items:
-----------

The group will:

1. Produce an Informational document describing and relating some selected LPWA
technologies. This work will document the common characteristics and highlight
actual needs that the IETF could serve; but it is not an intention to provide a
competitive analysis. It is expected that the information contained therein
originates from and is reviewed by LPWA stakeholders, and that this WG may
leverage the resulting document to suggest new activity in other WGs.

2. Produce best practice documents highlighting potential areas where IETF
technologies may be leveraged; these documents may eventually be published as
Informational RFCs. It is an expectation that the resulting document(s) may
contribute to the interaction with LPWA stakeholders and lead to additional work
in the future. Envisioned topics include security, management, and cross-layer
optimizations.

3. Produce Standard Track documents to enable the compression of a CoAP/UDP/IPv6
packet over LPWA. Considering the extreme constraints, the work will focus on a
generic YANG data model to describe the compression, and protocols to install
the related state at the compression end-points; the work will also include, for
the selected technologies, specific Standard Track documents to describe how the
fields relevant to the decompression are encoded over the air, if any.

4. Produce a document to enable the fragmentation of larger packets over LPWA,
either as a Best Practice leveraging existing technology, or as new Standard
Track document if that is deemed necessary.

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2016 11:14:49 -0500

> The IESG suggested that the name 6LPWA may not be appropriate and for the time being we'll live with LPWAN.

I welcome this change.
I hope that will calm down IEEE induced 6-mania :-)

Regards,

Behcet
> _______________________________________________
> lp-wan mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lp-wan

---

From: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 09:16:50 +0800

I welcome this change.
As I mentioned before, LPWAN is the best grope name.

From: Pascal Thubert (pthubert)
Date: 2016-06-17 21:04
To: lp-wan; Alexander Pelov; Erik Nordmark; Suresh Krishnan; Bob Heile ([email-masked]); Geoff Mulligan
Subject: [lp-wan] Updated charter
Dear all:

 

Take care,
 
Pascal and Alex

 
Background/Introduction:
------------------------

 

 

 

 
Work Items:
-----------
 
The group will: