Subject: [lp-wan] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-01.txt

From: Laurent Toutain <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2016 15:46:59 +0200

Hi,

We just submitted a new version of the draft, that should explain in a more
comprehensive way the benefits of the static context header compression.

Laurent
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 10:51 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-01.txt
To: Laurent Toutain <[email-masked]>, Ana Minaburo <
[email-masked]>, Laurent Toutain <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Laurent Toutain and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc
Revision:       01
Title:          6LPWA Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) for IPV6 and
UDP
Document date:  2016-06-21
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          13
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc/
Htmlized:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-01
Diff:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-01

Abstract:
   This document describes a header compression scheme for IPv6, IPv6/
   UDP based on static contexts.  This technique is especially tailored
   for LPWA networks and could be extended to other protocol stacks.

   During the IETF history several compression mechanisms have been
   proposed.  First mechanisms, such as RoHC, are using a context to
   store header field values and send smaller incremental differences on
   the link.  Values in the context evolve dynamically with information
   contained in the compressed header.  The challenge is to maintain
   sender's and receiver's contexts synchronized even with packet
   losses.  Based on the fact that IPv6 contains only static fields,
   6LoWPAN developed an efficient context-free compression mechanisms,
   allowing better flexibility and performance.

   The Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) combines the advantages
   of RoHC context which offers a great level of flexibility in the
   processing of fields, and 6LoWPAN behavior to elide fields that are
   known from the other side.  Static context means that values in the
   context field do not change during the transmission, avoiding complex
   resynchronization mechanisms, incompatible with LPWA characteristics.
   In most of the cases, IPv6/UDP headers are reduced to a small
   identifier.

   This document focuses on IPv6/UDP headers compression, but the
   mechanism can be applied to other protocols such as CoAP.  It will be
   described in a separate document.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

-- 
Laurent Toutain
+--- VoIP (recommended) ---+----------- Télécom Bretagne -----------+
| Tel: +33 2 22 06 8156    | Tel: + 33 2 99 12 7026                 | Visit
:
| Mob: +33 6 800 75 900    |                                        |
| Fax: +33 2 22 06 8445    | Fax: +33 2 99 12 7030                  |
http://class.touta.in
| [email-masked]         | [email-masked]    |
+--------------------------+----------------------------------------+