Subject: [lp-wan] I-D Action: draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2017 01:20:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 over Low Power Wide-Area Networks of the IETF.

        Title           : LPWAN Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) and fragmentation for IPv6 and UDP
        Authors         : Ana Minaburo
                          Laurent Toutain
                          Carles Gomez
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-04.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2017-06-16

Abstract:
   This document describes a header compression scheme and fragmentation
   functionality for very low bandwidth networks.  These techniques are
   especially tailored for LPWAN (Low Power Wide Area Network) networks.

   The Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) offers a great level of
   flexibility when processing the header fields and must be used for
   this kind of networks.  A common context stored in a LPWAN device and
   in the network is used.  This context stores information that will
   not be transmitted in the constrained network.  Static context means
   that information stored in the context which describes field values,
   does not change during packet transmission, avoiding complex
   resynchronization mechanisms, incompatible with LPWAN
   characteristics.  In most of the cases, IPv6/UDP headers are reduced
   to a small identifier called Rule ID.  But sometimes the SCHC header
   compression will not be enough to send the packet in one L2 PDU, so
   this document also describes a Fragmentation protocol that must be
   used when needed.

   This document describes the generic compression/decompression
   mechanism and applies it to IPv6/UDP headers.  Similar mechanisms for
   other protocols such as CoAP will be described in separate documents.
   Moreover, this document specifies fragmentation and reassembly
   mechanims for SCHC compressed packets exceeding the L2 PDU size and
   for the case where the SCHC compression is not possible then the
   IPv6/UDP packet is sent using the fragmentation protocol.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/