Subject: [Lsr] Last Call: <draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc5306bis-03.txt> (Restart Signaling for IS-IS) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 11:51:54 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Link State Routing WG (lsr) to
consider the following document: - 'Restart Signaling for IS-IS'
  <draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc5306bis-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2019-08-27. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a mechanism for a restarting router to signal
   to its neighbors that it is restarting, allowing them to reestablish
   their adjacencies without cycling through the down state, while still
   correctly initiating database synchronization.

   This document additionally describes a mechanism for a router to
   signal its neighbors that it is preparing to initiate a restart while
   maintaining forwarding plane state.  This allows the neighbors to
   maintain their adjacencies until the router has restarted, but also
   allows the neighbors to bring the adjacencies down in the event of
   other topology changes.

   This document additionally describes a mechanism for a restarting
   router to determine when it has achieved Link State Protocol Data
   Unit (LSP) database synchronization with its neighbors and a
   mechanism to optimize LSP database synchronization, while minimizing
   transient routing disruption when a router starts.

   This document obsoletes RFC 5306.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc5306bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lsr-isis-rfc5306bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.