Subject: [Lsr] RFC 9088 on Signaling Entropy Label Capability and Entropy Readable Label Depth Using IS-IS

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:36:51 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9088

        Title:      Signaling Entropy Label Capability and 
                    Entropy Readable Label Depth Using IS-IS 
        Author:     X. Xu,
                    S. Kini,
                    P. Psenak,
                    C. Filsfils,
                    S. Litkowski,
                    M. Bocci
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      7
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-isis-mpls-elc-13.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9088

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9088

Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) has defined a mechanism to
load-balance traffic flows using Entropy Labels (EL). An ingress
Label Switching Router (LSR) cannot insert ELs for packets going into
a given Label Switched Path (LSP) unless an egress LSR has indicated
via signaling that it has the capability to process ELs, referred to
as the Entropy Label Capability (ELC), on that LSP. In addition, it
would be useful for ingress LSRs to know each LSR's capability for
reading the maximum label stack depth and performing EL-based
load-balancing, referred to as Entropy Readable Label Depth (ERLD).
This document defines a mechanism to signal these two capabilities
using IS-IS and Border Gateway Protocol - Link State (BGP-LS).

This document is a product of the Link State Routing Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC