Subject: LTANS: new milestones online and info
From: "Tobias Gondrom" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:47:27 +0200
List-Id: <ietf-ltans.imc.org>

Hello,

as one of the tasks from the meeting in Paris we updated our schedule.

Please all authors take a close look and try to get along with the
dates.

And besides this, a short latest update on the work of LTANS:

Beginning this year we read a lot news about the problems with the
"broken" SHA-1 and this made many people very concerned about what would
have to be done with signed data when trouble is really breaking out.

With this in mind our work at LTANS is of significant importance to
industry and customers.

Currently there already exist two different independent implementations
(of the meanwhile pretty stable) ERS. They currently try to follow
changes in the spec as good as they can with more and more trouble as
the implementations will be installed at a large number of customers
within the next months. I want to ensure the stability of those needed
implementations (and the ones to come in the future) and to prevent a
defacto (industry) standard while the problem is slowly overtaking our
achievements in standardization.

We did great work in the starting of the WG LTANS but it seems that we
somehow lack a bit in the finishing of our work. The customers out there
are going to need a solution for the long term archiving of signed data
very soon.

We should keep clearly in focus to get our results out within the
proposed milestones.

Second it will be of great importance that we identify issues (and get
more details) that need to be covered with the so called "notary
service" within the next 4 months. Otherwise the WG will be shut down
next spring without addressing this issue!

Best regards, 

Tobias, chair of LTANS