Subject: [Ltru] Re: multilingualism

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:56:58 -0800

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin <jefsey at jefsey dot com> wrote:

> Does someone knows about an site/effort towards a multilingual support
> of ISO 3166 and of ISO 693?

I don't know anything about ISO 693, which is a standard for "Dimensions
of seam welding wheel blanks."

You might have better luck looking for references on ISO 639, which
deals with language codes.

> Today descriptions are in English and in French. This is not adequate
> to a menu in Chinese or for a Russian user. I suppose most of the main
> languages have an ISO 3166 translation, but I did not find a site.
> This also rises the question of the tagging of the languages
> description themselves in the 7260x7260 matrix of the languages names,
> plus the country names, plus the TLD lingual version, plus script
> name, etc.

The ICU project is probably your best source for common localized
resources, such as language names.  They currently support resource
bundles in 77 different languages (or 80, depending on which reference
you read).

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/globalization/icu/index.jsp

You probably will not ever find a source for translating the names of
7260 languages into 7260 languages.  One problem is that many of these
languages are nearly extinct and/or have fewer than 10 speakers, who
probably do not have the resources, knowledge, or inclination to
translate the names of 7259 other languages.

Another problem is that there is currently no universally accepted
coding system for 7260 languages, which makes a database like this a bit
difficult to index.  ISO 639-3 will provide codes for 7616 languages, by
my count, but it is still only a draft.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru