Subject: [Ltru] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltru-registry-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:43:53 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Language Tag Registry Update Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Tags for Identifying Languages
	Author(s)	: A. Phillips, M. Davis
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ltru-registry-00.txt
	Pages		: 44
	Date		: 2005-3-16
	
This document describes the structure, content, construction, and
   semantics of language tags for use in cases where it is desirable to
   indicate the language used in an information object.  It also
   describes how to register values for use in language tags and the
   creation of user defined extensions for private interchange.  This
   document obsoletes RFC 3066 (which replaced RFC 1766).

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-registry-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ltru-registry-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ltru-registry-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:03:16 +0900

With the publication of this Internet-Draft, we have reached our
first milestone. Thanks to Addison and Mark for their work as
editors. Now that we have a base document for discussion,
we can start with the core of our work.

Everybody, please read the published draft carefully and comment
on it. For minor editorial stuff, please put a series of comments
into one email. For more serious issues that you think may cause
further discussion, please use separate mails per issue. Please
carefully choose a subject, not just something like "draft comments".

Regards,    Martin.

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 02:14:06 +0100

Martin Duerst wrote:

> For minor editorial stuff, please put a series of comments
> into one email.

Minor fix, already posted as a comment for draft-10, but it did
not make into the new draft:

| One comment says that the singleton-ABNF is not yet finished:
| <https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=view_comment&id=31580>

| That's an 2234 oddity, if you say "x" or "X" then it's always
| case insensitive, therefore you need %d120 or %d88 for a case
| sensitive "x" vs. "X".  A possible solution for draft-11:

|  privateuse = "x" 1*("-" (1*8alphanum)) ; private use subtag(s)
|  singleton  = ALPHA ; Single letters: x/X is for private use

Looking again at it that's still not correct, it should be:

   singleton  =  %x41-57 / %x59-6A / %x61-77 / %x79-7A
                 ; ALPHA excl. "x" / "X" for private use

<http://www.apps.ietf.org/abnf.html> doesn't care about these
subtle details, but <http://irg.attlabs.net/~fenner/abnf.cgi>
likes the new ugly "singleton" and the simplified "privateuse".

RfC 2234 belongs to the future "normative references" in the
next draft.

RfC 1521 in the references is old, it's also apparently not
used in the text as [8] or 1521.  Maybe add [8] to the word
MIME in 2.4, and replace RfC 1521 by 2045.  That would go to
the "informative references" in the next draft.

                             Bye, Frank

---

From: "Scott Hollenbeck" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 07:37:54 -0500

Please do NOT use the ABNF parser found at
<http://www.apps.ietf.org/abnf.html>.  It has some known issues and it
really needs to be replaced.  The one found at
<http://irg.attlabs.net/~fenner/abnf.cgi> is much better.

Also, please note that RFC 2234 is being updated slightly as part of it's
progression to Draft Standard:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-crocker-abnf-rfc2234bis-00.txt

-Scott-

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Frank Ellermann [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 8:14 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Ltru] singleton (was: First draft published, please comment)
> 
> 
> Martin Duerst wrote:
> 
> | 
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/pidtracker.cgi?command=vi
ew_comment&id=31580>

                             Bye, Frank