Subject: [Ltru] Re: Populating the initial registry: Languages

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 14:44:54 -0800

First corrections:

> Step 1:  Current ISO 639 codes
> ...
> * If the entry has an alpha-2 code (field 3), use it for the subtag;
> else use the alpha-3 terminologic code (field 2).

Should be:

* If the entry has an alpha-2 code (field 3), use it for the subtag;
else if the entry has an alpha-3 terminologic code (field 2), use that;
else use the alpha-3 bibliographic code (field 1).

With the current ISO 639 list, the first "else" will always fall through
to the second, because there are no codes with different T and B codes
that do not also have an alpha-2 code.  If we assume this situation will
continue to hold true, this step can be collapsed to:

* If the entry has an alpha-2 code (field 3), use it for the subtag;
else use the alpha-3 bibliographic code (field 1).

although that is technically not the same as the rule in Section 2.2.1.

> Step 2:  Deprecated ISO 639 codes
> ...
> * Fields are (1) alpha-2 code (if any), (2) unified alpha-3 code, (3)
> English name, (4) French name, (5) date of change, (6) type of change,
> (7) notes.  Asterisks, hyphens, and other detritus in fields are
> ignored.

Asterisks and hyphens are ignored only in the code fields, not in the
name field.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 03:29:31 +0100

>> Step 2:  Deprecated ISO 639 codes

How about a special rule "skip jw" ?  The normative references
are ISO 639-1:2002 and ISO 639-2:1998, that could justify to
omit an old typo fixed 1988 (?) or 2001 (?).

What I really want to say:  I won't check your tag generators
for anything which is no country code, I look at your output.

Your second source (codechanges.html) says that it's currently
updated.  Apparently they forgot the "-" for a "-jw", but you
said that your script ignores the "-".

                      Bye, Frank