Subject: [Ltru] Re: Registry in record-jar format

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 21:59:33 -0800

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> The IANA/assignments/lang-tags/ Web page doesn't list bs-Latn.
> The most recent IANA tag is still en-GB-oed (2003-07-09).

That's the problem.  Nine tags *have* been registered since then, but
they're still not listed on the IANA page.

> BTW, should we deprecate en-GB-oed and zh-min-nan ?

Why would we want to do that?

If you're thinking about registering new subtags to replace these,
remember:  Grandfathered tags are forever.  They don't drop off the
registry just because they've been deprecated.  All that does is create
a duplicate tag with the same meaning, which is not a desirable thing in
and of itself.

> And / or list the few grandfathered exceptions from the new general
> pattern directly in the ABNF ?

No, for exactly the reasons Addison mentioned.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:49:42 +0200

Doug Ewell wrote:

>> should we deprecate en-GB-oed and zh-min-nan ?

> Why would we want to do that?

They don't follow the normal lang + extlang + variant or
lang + region + variant patterns.  But if the parser isn't
broken it should find that these _must_ be grandfathered
tags, sorry, please ignore my stupid question.  Bye, Frank

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 02:31:32 -0500

Frank Ellermann scripsit:

> tags, sorry, please ignore my stupid question.  

This brings up an interesting point:

Of the 25 current grandfathered tags in the registry:

	18 are not well-formed (en-gb-oed, i-*, sgn-*-*, zh-min-nan).

	6 are of the reserved xx-yyy form:
		3 (zh-gan, zh-wuu, zh-yue) will be well-formed and valid
			in 3066ter;
		3 (zh-min, no-bok, no-nyn) will be well-formed but not
			valid in 3066ter.

	1 is well-formed already (art-lojban) but appears to make
		"lojban" a variant, which it is not.

-- 
John Cowan  [email-masked]  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Assent may be registered by a signature, a handshake, or a click of a computer
mouse transmitted across the invisible ether of the Internet. Formality
is not a requisite; any sign, symbol or action, or even willful inaction,
as long as it is unequivocally referable to the promise, may create a contract.
       --Specht v. Netscape