Subject: [Ltru] Proposed changes to region subtags

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:47:52 -0800

I propose the following changes to the region subtags.  I'd like to see
if we can reach a rough consensus on these items by next Wednesday,
April 6, at which point I will float a new version of the registry, as
well as complete step-by-step instructions for populating all parts of
the registry.

1.  Remove all region subtags that were withdrawn from ISO 3166 before
1988.

The list comprises BQ, CT, DY, FQ, HV, JT, MI, NH, NQ, PC, PU, PZ, RH,
VD, and WK.

2.  For the remaining region subtags that were withdrawn from ISO 3166
after 1988, change the description as necessary to match the name
originally associated with the ISO code (not the new name).

BU: change "Myanmar" to "Burma"
DD: change "East Germany" to "German Democratic Republic"
TP: change "Timor-Leste" to "East Timor"
YD: change "People's Democratic Republic of Yemen" to "Yemen,
Democratic"
YU: change "Serbia and Montenegro" to "Yugoslavia"
ZR: change "Congo, The Democratic Republic of the" to "Zaire"

Note that subtags corresponding to current ISO codes are not affected.
For example, MM is still "Myanmar" and TL is still "Timor-Leste."

3.  For this same set of region subtags, change the canonical value as
necessary to match ISO 3166:1998, regardless of whether the physical
entity is the same.

DD: change '--' to 'DE'
FX: change '--' to 'FR'
YD: change '--' to 'YE'

4.  For this same set, change the format of the comments as follows
(where X is the old country name and Y is the new name):

"Y... changed yyyy-mm-dd, formerly X"
  -->  "X... withdrawn yyyy-mm-dd, replaced by Y"

"deprecated yyyy-mm-dd"
  -->  "withdrawn yyyy-mm-dd"

5.  Remove region subtag 172 (Commonwealth of Independent States) on the
basis that it is classified among the economic codes (otherwise not
allowed), and 200 (Czechoslovakia) on the basis that including it is
inconsistent with other principles for populating the registry.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:05:22 +0200

Doug Ewell wrote:

> I propose the following changes to the region subtags.

Seconded.  We can discuss the finer points of "losing" regions
by unions or splits (if a new region inherits an old CC) later.

> 200 (Czechoslovakia) on the basis that including it is
> inconsistent with other principles

Yes, that's one of these finer points, at the moment it's OUT,
but maybe we invent a proper rule to add it again later.  Bye.

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:24:43 -0800

I agree with those changes.

‎Mark