Subject: RE: [Ltru] Re: does the Draft gives all the guidelinesrequired by the Registry

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 12:59:14 -0700

I did not initially respond to Jefsey's e-mail because some of the text 
that concerned him was not mine (and will be removed) and I did not feel 
that arguing with these points with someone who questions the validity of 
my native language would be productive.

Since you all responded ... my position is this: 

* I have a need for a complete set of standardized language tags for 
subtitled and dubbed product and find RFC 3066 to be the best existing 
solution.
* I did a gap analysis to see what was missing from the RFC 3066 
registrations and submitted registrations for the tags I felt I needed 
that were not already registered.  My source data included language lists 
from studios other than Sony, and language data from AGICOA, an 
organization headquartered in French-speaking Switzerland. 
* I followed the current registration procedure, which calls for things 
like the native name of the language and specifically does NOT call for 
the French name of the language. To enter the French name would have been 
a gross error according to the registration procedure. To argue such 
things in the context of a specific registration is confusing.
* Any concerns Jefsey might have that I am part of Peter and Addison's 
secret kabal that wants to rule the world one language at a time are 
unfounded. I do not propose myself as the ruler of all that is Latin 
American Spanish. Nor does Sony Pictures. I am simply entering my name and 
e-mail so that anyone who needs further information about the registration 
can contact me. I do not use my personal e-mail address for such purposes. 

The people who need these tags are most often not authorities on 
individual languages. They are people who need to describe whole sets of 
languages and linguistic concepts. I do what I can to increase the breadth 
of my linguistic knowledge through my work at Sony Pictures, personal 
research, and my involvement on this list. That said, representation of 
language data is just one of many standardization issues I face.

Karen Broome
Metadata Systems Designer
Sony Pictures Entertainment
310.244.4384

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:53:57 +0200

>my native language would be productive.

????? could you explain that ???? thank you.

>unfounded.

?????? You have never been considered, except because you were considered 
and I documented why you should not.
?????? Secret Kabal? I think Unicode is documented commercial consortium (I 
am a paying member of) whose members have legitimate interests. The only 
difficulty is - as documented by IAB - these commercial interests should 
seriously pay attention to common and public interest and to other types of 
traffic rather than exclusively to their own propositions. All this is 
perfectly documented in RFC 3869 (this is its main thesis according to its 
authors). The ways of this type of lack of attention are documented in RFC 
3774.

I only suggest that everyone accepts these analysis of the IETF, as normal 
part of the culture of an IETF WG, and that we can work together in a 
normal manner. I also suggest that this kind of ad hominem does not help.

>I do not propose myself as the ruler of all that is Latin

Once again, you are not concerned by all this. This mail and your confusion 
are only the proof that the current procedure (which not the one of the 
Draft) is inadequate. Even in misreading someone else positions, Karen 
should never have felt concerned. The best way to make sure of that is 
never to mention the name of the requested.

I submit that this give more liberty to everyone to support or to oppose.

>languages and linguistic concepts.

Yes. This is why I say that if we have to come to qualify the requesters 
they should be authoritative or users. But I prefer anonymous proponent and 
discussion over the advisability (confusion, impacts, etc.) of the 
registration.

>  I do what I can to increase the breadth
>research, and my involvement on this list.

Be thanked for that.
jfc