Subject: [Ltru] Re: Initial Language Subtag Registry

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 00:26:44 -0700

Karen Broome <Karen underscore Broome at spe dot sony dot com> wrote:

> Add these to the initial subtag registry? They were just formalized.
>
> es-419
> zh-cmn
> zh-cmn-Hant
> zh-cmn-Hans

I've already added them.  You'll see them in the next revision.

> It's probably most important to add es-419 since it's referenced in
> the Tags for Identifying Languages draft.

They're equally important.  "es-419" is redundant; the others are
grandfathered (but would become redundant under a presumed future
3066ter which included 'cmn' as an extended-language subtag under 'zh').

My impression is that since we already have an agreement (written into
draft-registry) to include all tags from the RFC 3066 registry at Date B
as either grandfathered or redundant, we shouldn't actually need a
ticket to add these four.  Since Randy has assigned one, I strongly
recommend we mark it "resolved" and move along.

The next question is whether we should deprecate "zh-guoyu" in favor of
"zh-cmn" as well.  The text in the approved registration form says:

"It is understood that the 'guoyu' dialect tag will be deprecated.  This
is a formal application for use of the replacement tag 'cmn'.  This is
intended to describe the same Mandarin Chinese dialect that was
previously described with the '-guoyu' extension."

I interpret that as a signal to this WG to deprecate the grandfathered
tag "zh-guoyu" as of the date of approval of "zh-cmn", namely
2005-07-15, and give it a Preferred-Value of "zh-cmn".  That probably
does need to be a ticket.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:59:53 -0700

I oppose the addition of the proposed text in its entirety, for numerous
content-related reasons.

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 11:30:36 -0700

Hi -

I've assigned ticket number #1077 to this.

Randy, ltru co-chair

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2005 12:26 AM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: Initial Language Subtag Registry
...
> does need to be a ticket.
...

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:47:46 -0700

Hi -

...

Agreed & done.

Randy

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 13:50:37 -0700

Hi -

...
...

As a technical contributor, I support the proposed change.

Randy