Subject: [Ltru] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltru-initial-01.txt

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:43:54 -0700

The introductory paragraph in Section 3 says of the initial registry
contents:

"Leading horizontal whitespace indicates a continued line in the
record-jar format, and must not be deleted."

Unfortunately, the RFC process inserts three spaces before every line in
the registry (plain text version only, not HTML).  I'm concerned that
someone might infer that these spaces should be retained, which would be
a Bad Thing.  All lines in a record-jar file, except continuation lines,
must begin with a non-space.

Therefore, I propose amending this sentence as follows:

"Leading horizontal whitespace relative to the 'File-Date' line
indicates a continued line in the record-jar format, and must not be
deleted."

Comments?

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 22:58:43 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 10:43 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltru-initial-01.txt
>
...

As a technical contributor, I like this pragmatic solution.

Randy

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:38:28 -0700

I agree with the goal. I'd suggest explaining in a bit more detail, however:

    Headers, footers, line breaks, and other
   vertical whitespace introduced by the RFC process are not
   significant.  Leading horizontal whitespace indicates a continued
   line in the record-jar format, and must not be deleted.=>

In the IANA registry that is produced from this document in the record-jar
format, leading horizontal whitespace is significant, and indicates a
continued line. However, in this document, headers, footers, line breaks,
and other whitespace is introduced by the RFC process. To correctly
interpret the data in this document, these extraneous characters must be
disregarded. In particular, a number of horizontal whitespace characters
that is greater than what is found on the 'File-Date' line indicates a
continued line in the record-jar format, and must not be deleted.

‎Mark

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, July 07, 2005 22:58
Subject: Horizontal whitespace (was Re: [Ltru] Re: I-D
ACTION:draft-ietf-ltru-initial-01.txt)

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 15:53:43 -0700

Hi -

> From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
> To: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>; "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, July 08, 2005 3:38 PM
> Subject: Re: Horizontal whitespace (was Re: [Ltru] Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ltru-initial-01.txt)
>

...

As a contributor who has edited RFCs establishing registries, and who has
chaired WGs producing such RFCs, I feel quite confident in saying that this
is complete and total over-kill.  We don't do this for ABNF, MIB modules,
ASN.1 modules, or any of the other machine-parseable stuff that finds
itself published in RFCs.  The folks at IANA have repeatedly proven that
they know enough to strip headers, footers, etc.  I could support Doug's
original proposal because it addressed a not-100%-obvious potential problem,
but I can't support this amended proposal.  If the rest of the WG supports
it, I won't oppose it, but I think the amended proposal would set a bad precedent.

Randy