Subject: [Ltru] Re:Proposed addition after introduction

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 02:31:50 +0200

Martin Duerst wrote:

> I quite a bit agree with the sentiment in some of the text.
[...]
> However, as an engineer, I think that what counts is the
> actual spec.
[...]
> Engineers in general, and the IETF in particular, is rather
> bad at marketing and politics, and I think we should stay
> away from it. Declarations like those in JFC's proposed text
> are very important in political fora, but in my opinion don't
> belong in a technical spec (like ours). Also, some of the
> wording proposed sounds a bit too much like "Life, Liberty,
> and the Pursuit of Happiness"
[...]

+1  And we're not in the position to define what IANA "adheres
to", that's determined by VeriSign or whoever governs ICANN at
the moment.
            Bye, Frank

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:14:14 +0900

>to", that's determined by VeriSign or whoever governs ICANN at

While we cannot, by writing a document, be absolutely sure that
IANA isn't going to do something different, we are definitely
supposed to write our document so that IANA can "adhere to" it,
i.e. follow its instructions. IANA is a secretarial or clerical
function; they prefer to have exact and easy-to-follow instructions
for what to do. That of course means that they'd probably get
scared by any politically colored instructions.

Regards,   Martin.

---

From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:51:32 +0200

At 03:14 14/07/2005, Martin Duerst wrote:
>That of course means that they'd probably get scared by any politically 
>colored instructions.

This is why the political implications and suspected roots of this draft 
are to be disclaimed.
jfc

---

From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 14:49:13 +0200

>to", that's determined by VeriSign or whoever governs ICANN at

oh!!!!