Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: last call: language tag usage

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:04:45 -0700

Is this an improvement?

<t>The language tag is used to help identify the language -that is-
spoken, written, signed, or otherwise signaled for the purpose of
communication. The language in question might include a constructed or
artificially designed language, but excludes languages not intended
primarily for human communication, such as programming or computer
languages.</t>

The "which is being" text implies that I'm classifying content or essence 
prior to it being written, spoken, or signed. This could be a future use 
of the codes, but is certainly not common today. Generally we're dealing 
with content that is already written, spoken, signed, or signaled. 

Karen Broome

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:34:18 -0700

Hi -

> From: <[email-masked]>
> To: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
> Cc: <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 11:04 AM
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] Re: last call: language tag usage
>
> Is this an improvement?
...

If we're wordsmithing, I'd trim it to:

<t>Language tags are used to help identify languages, whether
spoken, written, signed, or otherwise signaled, for the purpose of
communication. This includes constructed and
artificial languages, but excludes languages not intended
primarily for human communication, such as programming
languages.</t>

But really, I think we should let the editors do their jobs and
sort through all the suggestions to come up with something
reasonable, since there seems to be no substantive differences
between most of the various suggestions.

Randy