Subject: [Ltru] Re: [psg.com #1072] compatibility and private use tags

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 01:09:52 -0700

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

> Has anyone been persuaded by Jefsey's arguments that we need to
> re-open the discussion of private-use (sub)tag syntax and
> compatibility?  Unless there is support for re-examining this
> decision, I believe it is in the best interest of timely completion
> of our work to leave this issue closed.

I am not persuaded.  Compatibility with the existing RFC 3066 syntax,
which permitted only A-Z and 0-9 and hyphen, is important.  The use of
full stop (period, dot) and other characters in language tags has never
been authorized by even the most liberal reading of RFC 3066.  The
mechanism described in the current draft allows for private-use tags and
subtags of infinite length, a degree of flexibility provided by few
other standards and protocols.  We have discussed these arguments and
reached a decision; let us move on.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: r&d afrac <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 04:57:44 +0200

At 10:09 27/07/2005, Doug Ewell wrote:
>other standards and protocols.

If your belief is genuine, and not pure comptempt of your competition as it 
resents it, can you document:

1. you warranty these scheme will prevent conflicts
2. will support a simple format such as 
x-schemes:name.subname:address:date-etc.
3. will address the right of billions of users to document the way they 
want 20.000 languages in thousands of regions, the languages and scripting 
variations they may chose (private use is for that).

If you can seriously document this I will drop my demand.

>We have discussed these arguments and reached a decision; let us move on.

Can you document that long and interesting discussion?
We are in Last Call. Those who do not support your decision are supposed to 
oppose it.
This applies to the comments of Randy and Addison and to the silence of Martin.
Sorry, I do not make the rules. As they are they helped the Internet to 
survive.
jfc