Subject: [Ltru] Re: Proposed addition after introduction

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 07:42:33 -0700

These comments are intended for the co-chairs only.

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

> Please post to the ltru list whether you support or oppose the
> addition.

I oppose the addition.

>> "This document's aim is to allow everyone to freely share the
>> cultural life of the Internet community, to enjoy using its solutions
>> on an equal linguistic, cultural, technical, economical and
>> commercial basis, and to share into the benefits of the technology
>> and its advancements without distinction of any kind, such as race,
>> colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national
>> or social origin, property, birth or other status and education.

The document doesn't do any of that.  It defines a method for
constructing short text strings to represent languages and language
variants, for use in identifying or requesting content.  Any societal
benefits that derive from that are outside the scope of the document.

>> Therefore the goal is to build a common technical standard for all
>> people and all nations to be used or embedded in any technical
>> solution, without any limitation resulting from the script, the
>> language, the referent or the context of their technical environment.

The "referent" and "context" attributes have not been agreed to by any
other member of this WG.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru