Subject: [Ltru] 2nd WG last call: leftover

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 17:00:49 +0900

This is a leftover from the previous last call: [co-chair hat off]

In http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04779.html,
as point J, I wrote:

J) editorial, sentence structure/word usage

   The first para of Section 4.3 says:

     Private-use subtags require private agreement between the parties
     that intend to use or exchange language tags that use them and great
     caution SHOULD be used in employing them in content or protocols
     intended for general use.  Private-use subtags are simply useless for
     information exchange without prior arrangement.

   The first sentence is difficult to understand. 'use' is used too much.
   I suggest the following rewrite:

     Private argeement is necessary between the parties that intend to use
     or exchange language tags that contain private-use subtags.
     Great caution SHOULD be used in employing private-use subtags in
     content or protocols intended for general use.  Private-use subtags
     are simply useless for information exchange without prior arrangement.

To this, Addison had a simple +1 at
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg04784.html.

But this paragraph currently reads:

    Private-use subtags require private agreement between the parties
    that intend to use or exchange language tags that use them.  They
    SHOULD NOT be used in content or protocols intended for general use.
    Private-use subtags are simply useless for information exchange
    without prior arrangement.

This change was due to a last call comment from Randy, but it leaves
the problem in the first sentence that I pointed out originally.

Please fix.

Regards,    Martin. 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Addison Phillips" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 10:18:02 -0700

Done.

Addison

Addison Phillips
Internationalization Architect - Yahoo! Inc.

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature. 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Martin Duerst [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 2006?5?16? 1:01
> To: LTRU Working Group
> Subject: [Ltru] 2nd WG last call: leftover
>