Subject: [Ltru] Re: UTF-8

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 16:34:22 -0700

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

>> I'm sure the logistic problems with IANA can be sorted out (e.g. 
>> using attachments).
>
> Or sending the form in escaped ASCII and telling IANA to unescape it.

<shudder />

At the very least, there would have to be an AUTH48-like period where we 
could review the end product and make corrections before it was publicly 
posted on IANA's site.

> I don't see any reason for us to dabble in transfer encodings!

No, please.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
RFC 4645  *  UTN #14

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:45:11 +0900

At 08:34 06/09/17, Doug Ewell wrote:
>>> I'm sure the logistic problems with IANA can be sorted out (e.g. using attachments).
>>

Agreed.

>At the very least, there would have to be an AUTH48-like period where we could review the end product and make corrections before it was publicly posted on IANA's site.

We got that last time round, so I don't see a problem here.

>> I don't see any reason for us to dabble in transfer encodings!

Of course we shouldn't invent new transfer encodings.
But suggesting to IANA that they also offer the file as
compressed over HTTP should be okay, or not?

Regards,     Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 15:45:11 +0900

Agreed.

Regards,     Martin.

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 09:32:37 -0700

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:

>> At the very least, there would have to be an AUTH48-like period where 
>> we could review the end product and make corrections before it was 
>> publicly posted on IANA's site.
>

I got an AUTH48 for RFC 4645, but that was after the Registry contents 
were stripped out.  I'm talking about the actual contents of the 
Registry submitted to IANA.  So far there have been three errors in 
versions posted by IANA after adding incremental updates.  If IANA needs 
to do any sort of processing at all, there should be a way for the 
Reviewer (or his proxy :) to review the finished product before it is 
posted publicly.

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 10:14:48 -0700

>>> Or sending the form in escaped ASCII and telling IANA to unescape it.

Yeah, well, or we could give them a set of tools for assembling and 
validating the file. A UTF-8 checker (I have them in perl, Java, C 
flavors, etc.) is easy enough to provide. I don't know the details, but 
there is even a tools site that could host the validator.

> compressed over HTTP should be okay, or not?

Not in the RFC, though, eh?

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.