Subject: [Ltru] Re: Re-use of a region code for the same purpose

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:17:24 -0700

Misha Wolf <Misha dot Wolf at reuters dot com> wrote:

> Let's consider some case other than "CS".  If Switzerland
> split into two countries, and five years later the two
> re-united, is there any reason why ISO and we should not
> use the original "CH"?

I'm trying to think of actual cases like this, where a country ceased to 
exist (whether by splitting up or by being absorbed into another) and 
then came back into existence.

One fairly recent set of examples would be the Baltic states, Estonia, 
Latvia, and Lithuania, which lost their independence in 1940 and 
regained it in 1991.  If ISO 3166-1 had existed in 1940, and EE and LV 
and LT had been withdrawn when the Soviet Union annexed the Baltic 
states, it might be reasonable to expect that there would be support 51 
years later for re-assigning the same code elements, rather than 
inventing new ones.

In 1958 Syria and Egypt joined to form the United Arab Republic.  Syria 
left in 1961 and Egypt continued using the name until 1971.  If ISO 
3166-1 had existed at the time, would it have used the same code 
elements for the "old" and "new" Syria, and for the "old" and "new" 
Egypt?

I think we would have to be guided by ISO 3166/MA and UNSD on this.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 18:51:18 +0200

Doug Ewell wrote:
 
> we would have to be guided by ISO 3166/MA and UNSD on this.

We only need a statement that a deprecated subtag can be
revived for its former purpose by the relevant ISO standard,
and that the "deprecated" field in the registry should then
be removed - instead of registering UN numbers where this
is not not strictly necessary to avoid conflicts.

Frank