Subject: [Ltru] 3066ter encompassed languages

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 02:36:53 -0400

I'd like to propose a deviation from the proposed rules for languages
encompassed by a macrolanguage.  Currently, we've been assuming
that such languages (including sign languages for this purpose)
would be assigned extlang tags, with a prefix representing the
language subtag (639-2 or 639-1 code element) for the macrolanguage
that encompasses them.

Thus ar (Arabic) is a macrolanguage, and the various encompassed
languages would be encoded as ar-abh, ar-abv, etc. etc.  Likewise,
hmn (Hmong) is also a macrolanguage, so we'd get hmn-blu, hmn-hea,
etc.

*However* (and I think this has always been "understood" but not
expressed) this would *not* apply to any encompassed language
that already has a language tag as a consequence of being in
639-1 or 639-2 already.  Thus sr, not sh-sr; nn, not no-nn.

Just wanted to get that on record.

-- 
Verbogeny is one of the pleasurettes    John Cowan <[email-masked]>
of a creatific thinkerizer.             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
   -- Peter da Silva

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 23:59:38 -0700

> From: John Cowan [mailto:[email-masked]]

> encompassed by a macrolanguage...

> Just wanted to get that on record.

+1 (I've had this assumption in the back of my mind all along, but it did need to be stated explicitly at some point.)

Peter Constable

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:42:36 -0700

+1

By the way, since we have a newly minted charter, this weekend I intend 
to create an updated version of draft-registry as our -00 draft. It will 
include all the miscellaneous changes made by the RFC Editor as well as 
slots for ISO 639-3 and initial textual changes (unblocking extlangs, 
etc.) as discussed on this list or as seem "obvious" from a read-through 
(such as mentioning 639-3 in the stability rules).

Unless the chairs want something else I was intending to call it 
"draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis"

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 16:29:55 -0700

Hi -

As co-chair of the ltru WG, I approve the impending submission of
draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-00.txt as an ltru working group internet draft.

Randy

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 18:54:48 +0900

+1 from me too, for the record.    Martin.

At 15:59 06/09/08, Peter Constable wrote:
>+1 (I've had this assumption in the back of my mind all along, but it did 
>need to be stated explicitly at some point.)
>
>
>
>Peter Constable

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]