Subject: [Ltru] UK redux (was: Re: langauge vs. locale)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:45:17 -0700

Marion Gunn <mgunn at egt dot ie> wrote:

>>> -- otherwise one couldn't distinguish between en-US and en-UK 
>>> content.
>>
>> en-GB
>
> Explain that to people in my country with addresses ending in uk.:-(
>
> (Not really asking Doug to explain, only praying for him to come over 
> to the side of the light.)

Whether or not I personally agree that UK should be the ISO 3166-1 code 
element for the United Kingdom is not the point.

We use *assigned* code elements, past and present, from ISO 3166-1 as 
region subtags.  We do not use their exceptionally reserved, 
transitionally reserved, indeterminately reserved, or otherwise unused 
code elements, except those that were *assigned* to a country name at 
some point since 1988.  This is a simple rule that avoids most 
accusations of arbitrary or discriminatory "cherry-picking."

When ISO 3166/MA decides to assign -- not "reserve" -- UK as a code 
element, I will be happy to support adding it to the Registry, in 
accordance with the rules.  The same goes for any other pair of letters.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru