Subject: [Ltru] Errors in prototype 4646bis Registry

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:58:24 -0700

There are two problems in the prototype RFC 4646bis Registry I posted a 
few days ago.

The first problem is an extra trailing space-and-asterisk in 13 
Description fields, for the language subtag records that have an extlang 
with the same name.  The group agreed (I think) not to change any 
existing names, although that means we will have (for example) a 
language subtag called "Konkani" and "Konkani (macrolanguage)" and an 
extlang also called "Konkani".  I marked these 13 cases with an asterisk 
so they could be easily removed (or retained) after the decision was 
made, and forgot to rip out the asterisks before posting.

The second problem runs a bit deeper.  ISO 639-2 just added a new code 
element "zza" with six names, one of which is "Dimli".  ISO 639-3 has a 
code element "diq" with the name "Dimli".  If both of these are admitted 
into the Registry, there will be two subtags of the *same type* with the 
same Description.  No matter what anyone says about retaining the 
"official" ISO names, that is not a tolerable situation.

Peter indicated on ietf-languages that the ISO 639 JAC would decide what 
to do about this in due course, but until they do, I need to know what 
to do with the Registry.  I'll post an updated version when a decision 
is reached.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
RFC 4645  *  UTN #14

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru