Subject: [Ltru] Re: Advice for software; basic well-formedness

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:03:03 -0700

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> A good thing about validity testing is that you can display the full 
> description, not only the 3-letter code. How about using the built-in 
> list to display in an human-friendly way the semantics of the tag, 
> before asking confirmation?
>
> % ./display-tag man-Nkoo-GN
> man-Nkoo-GN: (man: language "Mandingo", Nkoo: script  "N&#x2019;Ko", 
> GN: region  "Guinea")

Mine displays:

Subtag 1: man
Language subtag: Mandingo (registered 2005-10-16)

Subtag 2: Nkoo
Script subtag: N'Ko (registered 2005-10-16)

Subtag 3: GN
Region subtag: Guinea (registered 2005-10-16)

which is admittedly a lot to ask for a broad-purpose application like a 
browser.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:28:52 -0700

Just for comparison, ICU displays "man-Nkoo-GN" like the following,
depending on the language. Note that where vetters have not supplied a
translation (typically because it is not a priority for speakers of the
langauge), we display the plain codes.

Mandingo (N'Ko, Guinea)
meninka (Nkoo, Guinée)
Manding-Sprache (Nkoo, Guinea)
мандинго (Nkoo, Гвинея)
man (Nkoo, غينيا)
...

Of course, a UI could allow display in multiple languages, and we make sure
that English is always populated, even for the deprecated codes.

Mark