Subject: [Ltru] Re: UTF-8

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:44:50 -0700

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

> There's a prior question: what will the content of registry records 
> contain? (We don't need an encoding that supports the entire UCS if we 
> don't intend to have records using characters from that entire 
> repertoire.) I don't recall if that's been discussed and resolved.

The existing RFC 4646 Registry already contains instances of 11 
different non-ASCII characters, including 3 that are not in Latin-1. 
The current set of 7,600 reference names in ISO/FDIS 639-3 contains 
almost 500 Latin-1 characters, all of which will end up in the Registry. 
(They have to; there are some language names in 639-3 that are 
differentiated only by an accent.)

Clearly the Registry needs an encoding that supports characters beyond 
ASCII or even Latin-1.  We already have one: the much-grumbled-about hex 
NCR's.  UTF-8 would be another.  While we could limit the Registry to a 
subset of the UCS, such as MES-2 -- or MES-1, if we were willing to go 
through the intense pain of removing "Ethiopic (Ge&#x2BB;ez)" -- I don't 
see what advantage it would bring.

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
RFC 4645  *  UTN #14

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru