Subject: [Ltru] Re: Process

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 06:42:27 -0700

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:

> While a lot of people participate on ietf-languages at iana.org, and 
> many share an understanding of what's problematic with that list and 
> the review of language tags, the LTRU list is by definition a 
> different list. I think it would be good if somebody (Mark?) could put 
> together a list of the problems he sees. Once we have a better 
> understanding on what we agree are problems, we have a better chance 
> of finding the minimal, but necessary, solutions.

Here are a few, in no particular order.  Some of these are my opinion, 
some are not, but I intentionally do not separate them here.

1.  Possibility of real or perceived arbitrariness on the part of a 
single Reviewer.

2.  Risk of indeterminate delay when the Reviewer is unavailable, 
coupled with requirements that things MUST happen within a set period.

3.  Unofficial delegation of some of the Reviewer's duties called out in 
RFC 4646 (list management, administrative function).

4.  Inadequate participation on ietf-languages leading to results that 
are not representative of the community.

5.  Lack of feedback to requester and ietf-languages community when a 
request is accepted or rejected.

6.  Need to validate updated Registry against human error before it is 
publicly posted.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru