Subject: [Ltru] Two subtags with same description (was: Re: 3066ter encompassed languages)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 06:51:08 -0700

I wrote:

>> I don't particularly care for having the same description show up in 
>> two different entries for things that have different meanings.
>
> +1.  Actually, this makes the confusion even worse if we have to keep 
> the 639-2 name, because now there will be TWO subtags called simply 
> "Malay" without qualification.

I've been reminded hat we have lots of examples of this already.  We 
have pairs of language and script subtags called Arabic and Gujarati and 
Mongolian and Thai, pairs of language and region subtags called Tokelau 
and Tuvalu, etc.

I think when the two subtags in question are a primary language subtag 
and an extended language subtag, there is a much greater potential for 
users to use the wrong one, and/or to come away with the impression that 
LTRU made an elementary mistake by assigning two subtags to "the same 
language."

--
Doug Ewell
Fullerton, California, USA
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
RFC 4645  *  UTN #14

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru