Subject: [Ltru] Re: IPA, NSAI and ANSI

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:07:11 -0700

Considering that RFC 4646 is a relatively high-profile application of 
code elements from ISO 639, 3166, and 15924, it was probably inevitable 
that some would expect this WG to exert authority over these standards 
and their RAs and MAs, but the simple truth is that we do not control 
them, and they do not control us.

We do control our own rules for how we choose to use these standards, 
and we have chosen -- wisely IMHO -- not to extend them unilaterally, by 
registering subtags that conflict with potentially assignable code 
elements.

This means if someone wants code element ABC added to ISO standard XYZ, 
the place to make that argument is the ISO XYZ/MA, or national bodies, 
and not the LTRU WG -- unless the person wants to propose instead that 
we change our rules and extend the standard.

I'll leave it to others to speak to the issue of characterizing the 
workings of the ISO 15924 AC as a battle between big countries and small 
countries.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru