Subject: [Ltru] Re: Proposal: include new "Language-Type:" field

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:46:35 -0700

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> I think the more information, the better (*), IF AND ONLY IF:
>
> ** this new information does not require a new source when building 
> the registry, (because such a new source would complicate the building 
> process and would add one more dependency, would add one more standard 
> to track, etc),

It comes from the same ISO 639-3 data file as the other data.

> ** this new tag does not bother the existing parsers.

Existing parsers could be designed in one of two ways: either they could 
ignore an unknown field, or they could abort with an error.  My guess is 
that most parsers will fall into the second category (my Registry-to-DLL 
converter does).  This is true for any other possible change to the 
Registry structure, including the proposed Script field that would 
replace Suppress-Script.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:51:38 -0700

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> I think this is outside of the scope of the registry. Where will this 
> stop? Population of languages? Geographic area spoken? Population 
> density? .....

The proposal requires only what is present in the existing ISO/FDIS 
639-3 data files.

> The purpose of the registry is to distinguish one language from 
> another. No more, no less.

In that case, we should get rid of all script-suggestion mechanisms; 
those don't distinguish languages either.

I expressed my views in 
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg06035.html.  That 
is the last I'll have to say about it.  Martin has placed me in the 
correct column.