Subject: [Ltru] Where to put language-type info (was: Re: Is 639-3 bogus ?)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:28:24 -0700

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:

> I think adding only the 'interesting' information, in the Description 
> or Comment field, would be a much more unobtrusive change to which I 
> could agree (although still not thrilled).

Please, not in the Description.  We'd be back to our "must match the 
source standard exactly" argument.  I'm sure nobody want to see this:

Subtag: xzh
Description: Zhang-Zhung
Description: Zhang-Zhung (A)
etc.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:44:15 -0700

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

> Mnyeh.  Believe me, boychik, sentences like *this* you do not find in 
> plain (i.e. goyish) English!

I contend that this is an English dialect with Yiddish-based 
and -inspired words.  I understood that passage perfectly well, though I 
would never say it that way myself.

I don't want to pursue this, though, because my point was that if ISO 
639-3 says it is a language, I don't feel I'm in a position to dispute 
that.  (The reverse is not necessarily true; if they haven't listed 
something, I may still try to register it with ietf-languages.)

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 11:07:38 -0400

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> that.  

Whyever not? (or "farvos nit?")  The ISO 639-3 list did not, you should
excuse the expression, descend from Mount Sinai, even if we have to
treat it that way in a purely IETF context.  This is our window to
get code elements that we think are treyf removed from 639-3 before they
are enshrined forever.  So get off your tochus and write a letter to
Joan Spanne <[email-masked]> kvetching about it.  (I'm going to;
your argument has convinced *me*.)

-- 
John Cowan      <[email-masked]>       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
                Charles li reis, nostre emperesdre magnes,
                Set anz totz pleinz ad ested in Espagnes.