Subject: [Ltru] [Fwd: Re: XML 4e and language tags...]

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:36:31 -0700

FYI...

Addison

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: XML 4e and language tags...
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 10:31:04 -0700
From: François Yergeau
To: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>

Hi Addison,

Addison Phillips wrote to the xml-editor list:
> I noticed just now the publication of XML 1.0 4th Edition. In it I 
> notice a few issues with the handling of language tags (a topic in which 
> I take some interest).
> 
> In particular, I note:
> 
> 1. Section 1.1 contains this paragraph:
> 
> -- 
> This specification, together with associated standards (Unicode 
> [Unicode] and ISO/IEC 10646 [ISO/IEC 10646] for characters, Internet RFC 
> 3066 [IETF RFC 3066] for language identification tags, ISO 639 [ISO 639] 
> for language name codes, and ISO 3166 [ISO 3166] for country name 
> codes), provides all the information necessary to understand XML Version 
> 1.0 and construct computer programs to process it.

The XML Core WG discussed this today on our telcon.  Since 4646 is at
long last referenceable, we decided to change the text as follows:

"This specification, together with associated standards (Unicode
[Unicode]  and ISO/IEC 10646 [ISO10646] for characters, Internet RFC
4646 [IETF RFC 4646] and the Language Subtag Registry [IANA-LANGCODES]
for language identification tags), provides all the information
necessary to understand XML Version [1.0 | 1.1]; and construct computer
programs to process it."

The reference to 3066 will go away, replaced by 4646, and the
[IANA-LANGCODES] bib entry will point to the new registry.

This is in a 4-week countdown from today in the WG, so it's time to
raise any issue you may have.

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru