Subject: [Ltru] Serbo-Croatian

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 20:54:32 -0700

Desperately trying to change these Subject lines...

Addison Phillips <addison at yahoo dash inc dot com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure what you are calling for here: should Serbo-Croatian be 
>> marked as a macrolanguage in the LSR or not?
>
> - Serbo-Croatian marked as a macrolanguage.
> - Its constituent languages maintained as type 'language' and not 
> converted to type 'extlang'.

Wait a minute.  I thought the purpose of identifying macrolanguages in 
the Registry was to tell tag creators which primary language subtags 
have extlangs under them.  If we do this for Serbo-Croatian, which won't 
have any extlangs, then all we are doing is duplicating information from 
ISO 639-3, which Mark and others broadly rejected in John's 
Language-Type proposal.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru