Subject: [Ltru] Re: Is 639-3 bogus ?

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:12:07 -0400

Doug Ewell scripsit:

> One of my personal "least favorites" in ISO 639-3 is Yinglish ("yib"),
> which is really just a smattering of Yiddish-based and -inspired words
> embedded in normal English. It's not even as much of a dialect as
> Boontling. The description in Ethnologue calls it "a variety of English
> influenced by Yiddish (lexically, particularly, but also grammatically
> and phonetically)" but no evidence is given for differences other than
> vocabulary. The Wikipedia article focuses entirely on vocabulary.

Mnyeh.  Believe me, boychik, sentences like *this* you do not find
in plain (i.e. goyish) English!

Even mere shift in vocabulary can produce something pretty unintelligible,
like what I found on a web page on "Yeshivish":

	Before I knew that he had said it in shiur, I was mechaven to
	the Rosh Yeshiva's pshat in the Gemara.

-- 
Even a refrigerator can conform to the XML      John Cowan
Infoset, as long as it has a door sticker       [email-masked]
saying "No information items inside".           http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --Eve Maler

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru