Subject: [Ltru] Re: IPA as a script

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:41:02 -0800

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

> en-XXXX, where XXXX means that the 'en' is written in "some phonetic 
> transcription but we're not going to tell you what script it is based 
> on", I don't think would be particularly useful at all.

Just to play devil's advocate here:

1a.  Roughly how many phonetic transcription systems are there that need 
encoding?

or

1b.  Roughly how many scripts have phonetic transcription systems based 
on them that need encoding?

and

2.  Do we want to petition ISO 15924/RA to add that number of "script" 
subtags, for things that are at least arguably not scripts?

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:00:04 -0500

> 1a.  Roughly how many phonetic transcription systems are there that need 

About a dozen, if you mean transcriptions into systems that can potentially
handle any speech sound.

> on them that need encoding?

About one in common use; who knows how many individual oddities.

> subtags, for things that are at least arguably not scripts?

I wouldn't want to petition for more than one.

-- 
John Cowan   [email-masked]    http://ccil.org/~cowan
Original line from The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold:
"Only on Barrayar would pulling a loaded needler start a stampede toward one."
English-to-Russian-to-English mangling thereof: "Only on Barrayar you risk to
lose support instead of finding it when you threat with the charged weapon."