Subject: [Ltru] CS, ME, RS in 4645bis

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 23:32:47 -0700

I should point out that in draft-4645bis-00, region subtags ME and RS 
have been added, and CS is listed as deprecated, all with a date of 
2006-10-01.

This was actually an oversight; I had made the changes in my prototype 
4645bis Registry after submitting the registration forms, before a 
controversy over the lack of a Preferred-Value for CS caused them to be 
withdrawn, and I forgot to undo the changes.  Draft-4645bis-01 will 
reflect whatever is current in the 4646 Registry with respect to these 
subtags.

I suppose I should also ask whether that controversy has been resolved 
to everyone's satisfaction -- that no Preferred-Value was given to CS 
because neither Serbia nor Montenegro is a complete replacement for 
"Serbia and Montenegro".  I'd like to get a resolution so I can have the 
Reviewer resubmit those forms.  The controversy over CS has caused the 
(supposedly automatic) registration of ME and RS to be delayed as well, 
which means we don't currently have a way to tag dialectical differences 
between the two countries.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 08:49:26 -0700

I agree with "that no Preferred-Value was given to CS
because neither Serbia nor Montenegro is a complete replacement for
"Serbia and Montenegro".

We need to move more quickly on these.

Mark

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:20:18 -0700

Sadly, I suspect you aren't kidding. What's the story?

Mark

On 10/4/06, John Cowan <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Mark Davis scripsit:
> I understand that it is very likely that ISO 3166/MA will reconsider,
> and perhaps reverse, its assignment of 'RS' to Serbia.  Therefore
> I urge caution:  festina lente.
>
> --
> On the Semantic Web, it's too hard to prove     John Cowan
> [email-masked]
> you're not a dog.  --Bill de hOra               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
>

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 12:15:28 -0400

-- 
On the Semantic Web, it's too hard to prove     John Cowan    [email-masked]
you're not a dog.  --Bill de hOra               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan

---

From: "Vladimir Weinstein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:44:32 -0700

I just looked at the iso site again, and there is a press release from Friday:
http://www.iso.org/iso/en/commcentre/pressreleases/2006/Ref1031.html

But I agree - we should wait.

Regards,
v.

---

From: "Debbie Garside" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 21:37:20 +0100

+1

  _____  

From: Mark Davis [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 04 October 2006 16:49
To: Doug Ewell
Cc: LTRU Working Group
Subject: Re: [Ltru] CS, ME, RS in 4645bis

Mark

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 23:30:29 -0700

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:

> I'm a bit surprised this comes to the LTRU list. How exactly
> to register ME and RS, and what exactly to do with CS, is
> a registration issue and therefore belongs to ietf-languages.
> If and when it's sorted out, you can just reflect it in
> the 4645bis draft. If it's not sorted out by the time we
> are finished with the current two drafts, it just will
> get updated later.

I apologize for sending half of that message to the wrong list.

The issue with registering the region subtags, which belonged on 
ietf-languages, has run its course by now.  I sent Michael the 
registration forms and he forwarded them to IANA last Thursday, and now 
we're just waiting for IANA to post the new Registry.

The part that was on-topic was whether they belong in draft-4645bis, and 
the answer is, they don't -- not until they appear in the live Registry.